CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

cc1085
    cc1085
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by cc1085 Wed 28 Aug 2019, 8:49 pm

wrighty wrote:Finally plucked up courage to take project for mot. He went through ok (with a few words of advice) and is now fully road legal and heading for local Thursday bike night. Some wiring still needs tidying, alloy hugger needs fabricating and the road legal Delkavic can is still a little loud for my taste, but all jobs to do in slow time.What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 20190713

Great work, nicely modded, paintwork design really suits the overall look. Maybe you could post a list of the different bits used, changes made etc
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ANDYC Wed 28 Aug 2019, 8:52 pm

hh_12345 wrote:

stormbringer wrote:

hh_12345 wrote:Looks like the carbs have never been properly synchronized - although I paid a shop to do it some time after I got the bike. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

So much for leaving maintenance to so-called professionals...

So true. You have to spend some extra money for tools, seems to be worth it, though. 

And yet you could hardly get everything they have in the shops.(that's a bit beyond maintenance of course)

Professional used to mean that you were good enough at something to earn your living at it.
    Now it just means that you'll take money for it. Neutral
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:08 pm

Took my '95 bike to a well known Brackley bike dealers and had a look round. Very underwhelming - some highly priced early 2000's bikes, lots of cruisers, and flat sales people. Bikes too crammed in to get a look at in the main.
    I think they're something to do with OnYerTriumph near Aylesbury.

Or, they might just have seen me trundle up on the 'ol cb complete with topbox, mini fairing and aftermarket can and thought nah, not our sort of guy so left me alone.

muttley1
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Fri 30 Aug 2019, 2:08 pm

Mine passed it's MOT today after I changed a brake light bulb. Italian Electrics eh!
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Wed 18 Sep 2019, 9:11 pm

On with the Givi roadstar screen today, winter is coming y'know.

muttley1

Also, more cb500 use for town trips now after some woman turned right in front of my bicycle today, missed me by a foot. She was rushing of course, apologetic of course and didn't see me of course. Bicycle brakes are pretty poor but no chance. One of several mini near misses pedalling about so sod the environment!

muttley1
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Mon 23 Sep 2019, 7:41 am

What to do on a warmish sunday afternoon with the sun out?

Ride, surely. So I did that. Bumbled around, enjoying nature's colours hinting summer is coming to an end.

Returning home, I realised that next weekend is the time for Distinguished Gentlemans Ride in which I'm taking part. Here, people are expected to look dapper. Tweed, moustaches, classic style 'n all. And of course with bikes to match.

Time for a bit of cleaning then. And time for a can of nice, cold beer once the job is done.
    Result:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Img_2032

What a lovely sunday afternoon that was.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 02 Oct 2019, 9:55 am

Distinguished Gentleman's Ride was on september 29, a few days ago.
    I attended the Aarhus Ride, as one of 291 bikes.
    I brought my mate (as pillion) and he in turn brought his DSLR along for photos.

The cause is good; collecting funds for research on prostate cancer and some other things. Nowt wrong with that. I managed to get a 60£ donation sent in.

But I'm not sure I'll participate next year.

Thing is, the CB was rejected at gate-in. Too common, too bland, too boring.
    Right...

Organisers want people to show up on vintage bikes - and lots do. Implicitly, this means no present-day-bikes can join. I get that. And my CB is a mere 19 years old, so I had doubts as to its vintagicity.
    Eventually, we got let in, because we'd actually gone with the programme and made an effort to be dapper. White shirt, vest, bowtie and a blazer. Even a vintage-style helmet.
    We took part in the ride. Mayor's speech and all. Afterparty too. Fun and a real eye-opener to my mate. He now wants a cafe-racer Smile
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Img_2033
    However, it pisses me off that the CB was deemed 'out of spec' while a 2019 BMW nine-T seems to be perfectly OK bike to bring...
    There were several of them. Completely stock. Brand new.
    An Indian too - brand new.
    So, what happened to 'vintage only'?

Hrmpft...

Another thing I learnt that day is that the crowd attending such an event really is sunday-rider-material. Posh bikes ridden by people who never go anywhere.

All presentation, no function.

What a waste.
    cc1085
    cc1085
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by cc1085 Sat 02 Nov 2019, 11:47 pm

Today and on many other days I've been looking for a replacement for my 94 cb5 but haven't found any bike that can match all it's qualities.  Whenever it finally expires I will go 100% bicycle. When I next renew my insurance I will have racked up 50 yrs of no claims bonus. I have had all brands of motorcycles from a superlightweight to a heavy fully faired continental tourer but the cb5 has been the best of all and like everything the original iteration can't be surpassed. So my advice to any younger forum members stick with your cb5 and rebuild as necessary and you will never need another motorcycle.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Sun 03 Nov 2019, 8:52 pm

cc1085 wrote: When I next renew my insurance I will have racked up 50 yrs of no claims bonus. I have had all brands of motorcycles from a superlightweight to a heavy fully faired continental tourer but the cb5 has been the best of all...
    50 years. Hat off. Impressive.

And I'm delighted to learn that your CB500 takes the prize as 'best bike of them all'. Partly because it would hint I'm not entirely off the deep end thinking it's a brilliant bike, partly because I also happen to own one, and thus be a lucky bastard.
    Unlike you, I'm a complete noob, the CB being my first bike. I rode one during the 'sandbox experience' while taking my licence in 2013, and instinctively I chose to go for 'one of those' as my first bike. I've never looked back...

Anyways; we'd like to have you stick around for a long time, so take good care of your CB Smile
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Fri 15 Nov 2019, 1:16 pm

The CB500 might not be all the bike you want but it's certainly all the bike you need.
    liverpool_f_
    liverpool_f_
    the 900
    the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ Fri 15 Nov 2019, 9:27 pm

Finally gave the old girl the winter clean it needed. I figured it deserved it after reaching 90k and being pressed back into everyday winter hack duties after other less reputable Honda's let the fleet down!
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 25 Mar 2020, 8:31 am

Put the bike in temporary hibernation.

You see; there's a new kid in town...

After seven years, taking me across most of Europe through rain and sun, carrying heavy luggage and being put to the test in every which way I can think of, the CB has now - temporarily - been relieved of its duties. Those duties will, until further notice is given, fall upon this new member of the family:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 Img_2072

A '98 carbed Blackbird. Oldskool, if anything.

I simply had to give it a go. It's a bucket-list thing; don't ask...

Why don't I run both bikes, you may wonder. Simple answer; shed's too small to hold two bikes.
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Thu 26 Mar 2020, 8:34 am

stormbringer wrote:

Why don't I run both bikes, you may wonder. Simple answer; shed's too small to hold two bikes.

Thats a solid excuse.   pirat

Post by Guest Thu 26 Mar 2020, 5:48 pm

That looks very very nice Stormy, you'll have lots of fun on that! 😁
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Fri 27 Mar 2020, 6:55 pm

smokingsig wrote:
    Thats a solid excuse.   pirat

No. Extending the shed is waaay up on my list.

You see, It's taken me only a few days to realise what the 'bird doesn't do well - and that's

1. going slow,
    2. commuting in traffic and
    3. being practical.

Ad 1: Riding position is quite leant-forward - I'm going to address this issue once I've become confident it's actually an issue and not me being a dimwit. It's little fun trundling along at a leisurely pace, and that kills my fun, enjoying the scenery.

Ad 2: Would you take the QE2 up narrow canals? The 'bird is clearly not cutout for this kind of work, and I knew it.

Ad 3: No luggage space - at all. Only when you lose it, you learn to appreciate it. Now, go open up and look down the CB's cargo hold. Observe the echo... Adding to that, the 'bird is built for straight line action and turning radius came way down the priority list. Now, my BB version is similarly aged as the CB, meaning it shares many of its traits. No FI, and thus no (effective) immobiliser. Identical key - which is rubbish. Identical operation - including the choke lever. But no petcock; I'm left with a fuel gauge that seems to live a life of its own. Still using the odometer... Ah - temperature behaviour seems to be the same; gauge settles at the 'Cold' mark and stays put. Nice. And build quality is - as we've all come to expect - impeccable. This bike has done ~50.000 miles, and I'm actually looking for wear marks. It's ridiculous...

Now - before anyone asks; what is then good about the switch?

Addressing the elephant in the room: Yes, it's fast. Mind-bogglingly, ridiculously, stupendously, should-be-illegal fast. But in a nice way. It will surely try to kill you - but only if you ask. What do I mean by that? Well, you see, I'm an engineer, and so I don't like to overload my gear. Standing starts, putting on full throttle is not my thing. And surely that won't be much fun anyway, what with the bird's 1st gear being that high up. But let's switch our attention to midrange get-me-outta-here scenarios. Adjusting to left-lane-speed (sorry brits, but you're a minority), overtaking at speed or just to scare pillions - or yourself, do this: Go to mway. Set the speedo at a tonne. Gear down - to 5th or 4th if you care. Whack it.
    It's like engaging Warp drive.
    It's ridiculous.

I thought the CB was agile. I took it to the Autobahn. I learnt that it'll do a tonne for hours on end. Really. And I learnt that there are faster vehicles on the Autobahn than me, riding my CB. I was resigned to the right lane, doing maximum cruise speed.

Enter Blackbird.

Now, I'll be the one, engaging left turn (sorry, brits), signaling those black Mercs (and Ferraris?) to move out of the way, what with them cluttering up the left lane and all. Comingthrough! Makeahole!

However, combining mway superiority with everyday practicality, I now yearn for the CB anytime I'm off of the mway.
    Guess I'll be doing a lot of mway this summer. Crossing Germany - just like that. Powering through France, whisking away all those pesky BMW RS1200GS'es cluttering up traffic. And then wishing for my CB as we approach the POIs; places you see at 20 mph with frequent photo stops.

Right there, I'm guessing!
    Haven't gone yet, haven't actually experienced this. But that, my friends, is what I'm going to check out in the coming months.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Fri 27 Mar 2020, 7:24 pm

Fortunately, Napolian never got as far as the British Isles in his conquests. Therefore we didn't have to change to driving on the right.
    The history of it is quite interesting, the different reasons that 65% of the countries changed from left to right.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Fri 27 Mar 2020, 9:32 pm

ANDYC wrote:Fortunately, Napolian never got as far as the British Isles in his conquests.

Isles being inconquerable and all. Got it.

Taking up two-way traffic, which direction goes to what side is a toss-of-the-coin issue. 50% chance.
    I read, too, that Napoleon based his choice upon the manner in which riders mounted horses. Much like riders mount bikes nowadays. Like you do.
    It's an age-old discussion. Let's face it; noone's right.

Last edited by stormbringer on Sat 28 Mar 2020, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed silly stuff.)
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Sun 05 Apr 2020, 12:25 pm

Removed the battery, drained the carbs and resigned myself to the fact I won't be riding it for the forseeable future. Crying or Very sad
    motofan
    motofan
    Running out of unique names

Post by motofan Thu 04 Jun 2020, 7:43 am

So last week (yes, I know it's not today) I changed my coils for some stick ones, then went for a ride to the coast here in Normandie to see a friend who lives near the invasion beaches. The coils seemed to make the bike smoother and more responsive on the outward journey, coming back it just felt normal, have I just aclimatised so quickly to the change? Has anyone else noticed that with changes they've made?
    The ride was good, lots of sun, air refreshingly cool, little traffic on the road and a CB500 that just gives and gives, great!
    Melitos
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Melitos Sun 21 Jun 2020, 7:08 pm

Today I took the task of finding out what causes annoying resonance rattle from about 2.5 to 4k rpm.

First I attacked the problem with method of elimination, removing side panels. In the process I also removed the seat.

Start bike - clatta clatta clatta (clutch basket), give a little revs rrrrRRRRRrrrrRRRRRrrrRRRR. The resonance was still there. Sound came from the rear section of the bike so focus on there.

The rear mudguard under the seat was shaking. Also the seat latch bracket was shaking. I also noticed that the rear seat latch mounting bolt to the bracket was only finger-tight! Fixed with loctite. Rattling mudguard fixed by wedging a piece 2mm rubber mat between mudguard and frame crossmember. 

Start bike - revs - 2.5k rpm ok, 4k rpm now there is again rattle. Now the left side of rear fairing was shaking. Some more rubber mat wedging, but will have to see how it works when I take the bike on the road. If it's not cured, I might install some damping mat on the inside of the fairing.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Mon 22 Jun 2020, 11:38 pm

I had the phantom rattle once. I thought it was a loose baffle in the exhaust. I eventually found out that it was a loose glass in the RH mirror !!!!

cheesepiece1 likes this post

eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 31 May 2021, 3:34 pm

Today, well, yesterday and the day before, I was trying to fix the very slight coolant leak I had found last time I rode the bike - there was a small damp patch on the radiator and some on my boot/leg - a sure sign there is a leak (I've had this before!).

So I took the radiator off the bike and attempted to find the leak - using plain water, a cork to plug on of the holes and a slightly modified bicycle pump to provide a little pressure - with previously radiators, where there has been more significant holes I've been able to make little jets of water spray output when the pressure was applied.

No such luck with this one - couldn't even get a damp patch to appear.  I succeeded in firing a cork across my yard (with accompanying 'pop') and slightly soaking myself in luke warm water.

So, not wanting the leak to reappear once I put it back on the bike, I had a cunning plan.  Firstly I gave the radiator a quick lick of paint with a spray can:

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 GjZCG7l

Didn't come out too badly, considering I did very little prep, other than quickly cleaning the radiator.  Full marks also to the cheap paint from B&M - £2.99 for a 400ml spray can of gloss black.

Now, in a belt-and-braces type of way, I thought that I should try and ensure it wasn't going to leak (I've previously had annoying problems with radiators), so I got some K-seal:

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 DXMGabq

Now, I am the first to give out the dire warnings about Radweld (and similar products) blocking up your bike, however, previously when I changed the coolant on my wife's bike (another CB5) I noticed that it was all 'coppery' - it had K-seal in the system!  No dire things have happened to that bike, so I thought that judicious use of K-seal shouldn't do any harm in my bike, plus it is silicate free, so its 'gumming up' potential should be limited.

By judicious I mean that I only used 90ml of K-seal, rather than the whole bottle.  Feel free to give me abuse if you think I am wrong.

Here's a picture of the bike sporting its 'new' radiator:

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 87kRLMV

I really must make myself a better radiator cover/grille - my current one is saggy and doesn't really sit in the right place.  Anyway, that's for another day.

So, I let the bike idle for a bit and got it up to temperature (it's been nice and warm here) - no sign of coolant leaks! The fan still works!  Hooray!

I also gave the connections on my coils a good clean (they had furred up) and gave my kill-switch a good dosing of GT85 spray - the power for the coils (I think) comes via the kill switch and I'd been having a nasty problem above about 6k revs, so I thought this was a good idea.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, so I decided to take the bike out for a ride.  It was hot so I couldn't really wear by padded winter jacket.  Sadly my leather jacket had better ideas - it had gone all mouldy:

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 VKf1DvJ

Horrible isn't it?  I'd suggest you don't keep your leather jacket in your somewhat damp, not very well heated bedroom over the winter.  Anyway, the mould succumbed to some carefully applied damp kitchen paper and some shaking.  Still smelled a bit musty, but I wasn't really surprised about that.

Anyway, so I took it for a ride - amazingly no coolant leaked out all over my boot and the performance was a lot better, so my electrical cleaning had obviously helped, so I'm counting this as a win.

Here's a quick pic of the CB5 on top of a local 'hill' (no real hills around here!):

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 20 StLYd7p

So hopefully next weekend it will be off to get an MOT... fingers crossed about that too!

eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sat 05 Jun 2021, 1:59 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:So hopefully next weekend it will be off to get an MOT... fingers crossed about that too!

Well, today I went to get an MOT.  Amazingly enough it passed! Only advisories were about one of my discs being worn and/or pads near the limit.  Great! :bike: :bike: :bike:

(Touch wood) the radiator is still holding water and the rest of the bike seems to go as it should.

cheesepiece1
    cheesepiece1

Post by cheesepiece1 Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:40 pm

Exhaust off to have a look see at the cause of the blow at the headers. Seems to be the flanges have perished and no longer seal. 3 of 4 studs came out happily. The other one the nut came off with the whole stud still exposed so not a bad result. I put the groundwork in though and had doused them in WD40 every day for a week before attempting the extraction.
    Think I'll go for a delkevic full system unless anyone knows whether their downpipes will play nicely with a Motad end can.
    The pipes are actually ok themselves but the half stainless and half black look was never a good look so it'll either be the full delkevic system or new downpipes mated to the existing Motad if that would work.

Noisy https://imgur.com/gallery/Prk7EAY

Last edited by cheesepiece1 on Fri 02 Jul 2021, 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Thu 10 Jun 2021, 1:51 pm

cheesepiece1 wrote:Exhaust off to have a look see at the cause of the blow at the headers. Seems to be the flanges have perished and no longer seal. 3 of 4 studs came out happily. The other one the nut came off with the whole stud still exposed so not a bad result. I put the groundwork in though and had doused them in WD40 every day for a week before attempting the extraction.
    Think I'll go for a delkevic full system unless anyone knows whether their downpipes will play nicely with a Motad end can.
    The pipes are actually ok themselves but the half stainless and half black look was never a good look so it'll either be the full delkevic system or new downpipes mated to the existing Motad if that would work.

https://imgur.com/gallery/mBt1TM4

Running the bike like that make a good racket.. affraid

Well done on getting the studs out/nuts off without any breakages - I wasn't that lucky and it was a PITA to get it fixed.

I've got the delkevik pipes on mine and they mate fine with my 'Fuel' brand exhaust - no idea about Motad, but I think the Motad exhausts are designed to mate with the standard system, so you'll probably be OK.  Do you know if the delkevik end can has the centre-stand rest-bracket-thingy on it?  It's quite annoying to have to to find another way of doing it (or to be forced to remove the centre stand!).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 8:15 pm