CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

Got my CB500 today - absolute newbie

stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Got my CB500 today - absolute newbie Empty Got my CB500 today - absolute newbie

Post by stormbringer Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:48 pm

I've just bought me a CB500 (2002).

This post is for saying Hi to everyone, letting you know that I'm all new to motorcycles. I haven't even got my drivers license yet. I'm 48 years old and have been driving cars, cabs, EU-scooters and other boring vehicles for the last 25 years. And now it's time to try out the fun stuff; bikes.

And so, my bike just passed MOT. So far so good. In the next few days I'll familiarize myself with the bike and most likely need to ask a lot of questions.

Cheers,
    Martin
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    glen.wilson1@gmx.com
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Got my CB500 today - absolute newbie Empty Re: Got my CB500 today - absolute newbie

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com Wed 27 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

welcome on board, cb`s are a great bike you wont be diappointed, once the snow goes that is! Laughing
    very helpful on here too Laughing Laughing
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Got my CB500 today - absolute newbie Empty Re: Got my CB500 today - absolute newbie

Post by eternally_troubled Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:05 pm

CB500 is a good choice - it goes fast enough to have fun but won't cause too many problems!

Good Luck!

Post by Guest Thu 28 Mar 2013, 7:50 pm

Welcome Martin! Smile
    The CB won't let you down, it's an amazing machine!
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 9:04 pm

teamster1975 wrote:Welcome Martin! Smile
    The CB won't let you down, it's an amazing machine!
    From all i've heard, it's just the right thing for a beginner: Easy handling, forgiving, durable, economical and last - but not neccesarily least - cheap to buy.

Snow? In Denmark? Nope... Clear sky, sun is shining, 2 degrees C.
    So, tinkering in the driveway is an option. I can even drink beer, because I'm not allowed to drive the CB yet. License underway...
    Anyway; found the chain to be completely stiff, so gave it a lube and a workout using pliers and a screwdriver to bend the individual links back and forth. We - my neighbor and I - think that the quite noticeable chattering and uneven rattle from 'somewhere around the rear wheel' stems from the stiffened chain. It goes away when throttle is applied (not just coasting).
    Any comments or advice regarding this from the experts?

Also, I'll need to renew the ignition key & steering lock - it's broken (attempted theft), and has only two positions (on an off), neither of which employs a steering column lock function.

I'd like a functional steering column lock...

What else... Oh yes, the manual states how much oil to use, but fails to mention viscosity. My guess would be 10W/40 - am I right?

Post by Guest Thu 28 Mar 2013, 9:37 pm

10w40 semi is what I use.
    If the chain has stiffened up that much I would remove it and drop it in a bucket of oil overnight; it may be too far gone though.
    Always replace chain and sprockets as a set!
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm

teamster1975 wrote:10w40 semi is what I use.
    If the chain has stiffened up that much I would remove it and drop it in a bucket of oil overnight; it may be too far gone though.
    Always replace chain and sprockets as a set!
    10W40. Right. Got some of that. Will change it tomorrow I think. Coolant too. And start me a little black book, keeping records of what gets serviced when. Or perhaps an app for my mobile? Any recommendations on that subject?

Chain: Both sprockets look OK. Chain's got no splitter-link (or whatsitcalled) as far as i can see. Is that normal? I'd hate to throw away an otherwise functional chain kit.

Hmmm...
    davetheworv
    davetheworv
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv Fri 29 Mar 2013, 7:19 am

mate if the links are seized that badly the chain will be u/s no matter how much oil you throw at it.imagine the disaster if it failed while riding ,also the damage it is doing to the sprockets,there will be tight and loose spots on the chain.I would take the advice and replace the whole set,you may need to grind a link out,and get a split chain with a link ,easy job then

Post by Guest Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:19 am

stormbringer wrote:Chain: Both sprockets look OK. Chain's got no splitter-link (or whatsitcalled) as far as i can see. Is that normal? I'd hate to throw away an otherwise functional chain kit.

Hmmm...

The DID chains come with a split link & a solid rivet one; I prefer fitting the solid one myself.
    Turn the back wheel and inspect all the links; the rivet link has a hollow tip, they come off easily enough with a chain breaker tool.
    Basil Moss
    Basil Moss
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Basil Moss Fri 29 Mar 2013, 12:08 pm

No idea how to repair the steering lock, but since it's been broken once suggests it's not all that strong anyway, have heard before they don't do much good. You've got plenty of room under the seat for a hefty chain, padlock and disc lock, which is what I use. Chain to object is best so it can't be lifted into a van, and the disc lock at least is a very visible deterrent. Of course my bike is a bit of a nail so my security is totally OTT...
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Fri 29 Mar 2013, 4:22 pm

@t75:
    Yup - found the rivet link with hollow tips. Will get a chain breaker ASAP. Can the rivet link be reused?

@Basil Moss:
    Moving from a EU45 scooter. Got a disc lock. Got a big ugly rusty scary-looking chain. Spent the afternoon polishing and cleaning the CB, meaning the luggage compartment is empty - and very, very clean - by now.

Previous owner installed an automatic chain lube thingy. Thinking about removing it, simply because I don't like the mess with wires, tubes and whatnot. Return to 'original'...

Post by Guest Fri 29 Mar 2013, 7:05 pm

I'm surprised the chain got in that state with a Scottoiler fitted!
    Yes you can reuse the link if it has not been riveted, to be honest though I think you'll be looking at new chain & sprockets if it's that tight. You'll soon know when you get the chain off.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:29 pm

teamster1975 wrote:I'm surprised the chain got in that state with a Scottoiler fitted!

Dunno if it's a Scottoiler - but whatever it is, it's been halfway dismantled. Nonfunctional.
    Some *!?#&?#! drilled a hole in the left front 'wing' and installed a 12-position selector-knob, some undocumented wiring and some just as undocumented tubing doing - absolutely nothing.

Die die die. Back to original.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Got my CB500 today - absolute newbie Empty Chain kit replaced - and drivers license 'in the bag'

Post by stormbringer Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:35 pm

Finally! Got my motorcycle drivers license this morning Smile

While waiting for this, I've replaced the chain kit. Both sprockets from JTsprockets and a DID 525VX chain. Works beautifully.

So, I think I'll go for a ride - just because I can...
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Thu 18 Apr 2013, 1:31 pm

stormbringer wrote:Finally! Got my motorcycle drivers license this morning :)

While waiting for this, I've replaced the chain kit. Both sprockets from JTsprockets and a DID 525VX chain. Works beautifully.

So, I think I'll go for a ride - just because I can...

Well done! Have fun...

Post by Guest Thu 18 Apr 2013, 7:06 pm

Congratulations! I hope the sun is shining for your solo ride out! cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 10:32 am