CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+2
eternally_troubled
rwhitton
6 posters

Before and after pics of my race bike.

rwhitton
    rwhitton
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Before and after pics of my race bike. Empty Before and after pics of my race bike.

Post by rwhitton Wed 02 Apr 2014, 1:33 pm

I have posted a few updates of my ups and downs of building my race bike from a cb500sw road bike.
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0571
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0573
    This is how I bought it with 5 months mot.
    This is how it looked after first test ride.
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0610
    Note, bent bars, exhaust bent around shock, peg missing, etc.
    This is how it looks today ready for racing at 3 sisters this Saturday
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0654
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0653
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0652
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0651
    Can't wait for test day Friday, race day Saturday looks like rain Sad 3 sisters is very slippery when wet on certain corners.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Before and after pics of my race bike. Empty Re: Before and after pics of my race bike.

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 02 Apr 2014, 1:42 pm

Best of luck!
    TimReal
    TimReal
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

Before and after pics of my race bike. Empty Re: Before and after pics of my race bike.

Post by TimReal Wed 02 Apr 2014, 3:43 pm

Looking good! Good luck for this weekend.
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Wed 02 Apr 2014, 5:05 pm

Looks mint, great effort. Got any info/advice on lifting the end can? Is that a custom link pipe or where did u get it? I've got road fairing and pegs but wouldn't mind modding the fairings to work round it.  

All the best for the race.
    rwhitton
    rwhitton
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton Wed 02 Apr 2014, 9:03 pm

Cheers, the link pipe is just a 500mm length of stainless, 50.8mm diameter with a 30 degree bend from Pipewerx eBay store. Just took a gamble and it fits a treat with a normal 50.8mm can. Home made can bracket bolts to frame where luggage bars used to be. It was only about £12 plus post. Remember ive no rear pegs on!
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Wed 02 Apr 2014, 10:18 pm

thanks for the info rwitton, thats sounding quite promising.

I just had a peek at my fuel end can and it looks the current link pipe is 54mm OD. with +/-48mm OD standard header pipe where they connect, so link pipe ID must around +49mm

I don't really mind loosing the rear pegs 2bh I rarely take a pillion, think the biggest challenge is finding a way to make/commision a centre stand rest and have it welded to the link pipe.

Looking through the pipewerkx ebay selection they do various pipe sizes inc 50.8mm, 57.15mm, 63.5mm, 76mm... but no 54mm

Any of you fellow fuel exhaust lot know if im right in looking for a 54mm OD pipe or would a 50.8mm do the trick??
    jonny10
    jonny10
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 Wed 02 Apr 2014, 10:49 pm

That looks great!
    As someone who knows zilch about racing I was just wondering, apart from the visible mods to the bike, do you (or are you allowed to do) any engine/transmission performance enhancements? Just curious...
    rwhitton
    rwhitton
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton Thu 03 Apr 2014, 9:10 am

The 50.8 pipe slides perfectly over the standard collector box and the can slips perfectly over the link pipe. I just cut a slot in the collector end for it to clamp tighter. I was told R6 link pipes do the same but the were dearer 2nd hand! Took a lot of homework but it really fits spot on! Please remember I've got rearsets on also. You can tell if it will clear by placing a straight pipe from the collector as they have only one bend. Aftermarket ones have 2 bends, first one directs down a touch at first to avoid rear pegs. I've cut rearpegs off my originals to use as spares if I crash. Just got to knock up some riser plates.
    Jonny10, engine and transmission is totally standard to keep in thundersport regulations. Even the air filter has to be standard. It's to try keep everyone on a level playing field. You also have to use standard pitch chain and standard front sprocket. You can use 40,41,42 teeth rears. That's it for tuning! Leaves me at a big disadvantage elsewhere though as most clubs I'd be in minitwins against SV650's and ER6's but I don't care. Had a fairly intense and expensive season on a gsxr 600 last year so just out for fun this year and cut costs Smile
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Thu 03 Apr 2014, 7:23 pm

yeah i heard the carb model r6 link pipes can be made to fit with a bit of work but as you say they're more costly compared to the pipewerx option - good find. Grounding the pegs is the only thing that bugs me with the cb500, it puts me off leaning into corners so raiser plates and a raised exhaust will be a very worthwhile mod, cheers mate.
    jonny10
    jonny10
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 Thu 03 Apr 2014, 10:04 pm

rwhitton wrote:....Jonny10, engine and transmission is totally standard to keep in thundersport regulations. Even the air filter has to be standard. It's to try keep everyone on a level playing field. You also have to use standard pitch chain and standard front sprocket. You can use 40,41,42 teeth rears. That's it for tuning! Leaves me at a big disadvantage elsewhere though as most clubs I'd be in minitwins against SV650's and ER6's but I don't care. Had a fairly intense and expensive season on a gsxr 600 last year so just out for fun this year and cut costs Smile

So it really comes down to the rider as opposed to machine sophistication. That, to my (non racing) mind, is a much truer test of sporting ability than other forms of bike racing.
    Best of luck BTW!
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sun 13 Apr 2014, 3:09 pm

rwhitton wrote:I have posted a few updates of my ups and downs of building my race bike from a cb500sw road bike.
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0571
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0573
    This is how I bought it with 5 months mot.
    This is how it looked after first test ride.
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0610
    Note, bent bars, exhaust bent around shock, peg missing, etc.
    This is how it looks today ready for racing at 3 sisters this Saturday
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0654
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0653
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0652
    Before and after pics of my race bike. IMAG0651
    Can't wait for test day Friday, race day Saturday looks like rain Sad 3 sisters is very slippery when wet on certain corners.

Looks the part Very Happy
    Where did you get the seat unit from?
    rwhitton
    rwhitton
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton Sun 13 Apr 2014, 6:10 pm

Cheers, its from a chap called shep who works front home near Barnsley. He supplies most thundersport racers with cb500 race bodywork. He also sells via ebay. If you search cb500 race it will come up with number boards, catch trays etc. He doesn't list the full seat unit for some reason so you need to contact him. Think it was about £80 and they are available in 2 seat heights. Mines the taller one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 3:36 pm