CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+3
chromedome
badseeds
Ray Baxter
7 posters

Pheasant suicide at 70 mph (ish)

Ray Baxter
    Ray Baxter
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Pheasant suicide at 70 mph (ish) Empty Pheasant suicide at 70 mph (ish)

Post by Ray Baxter Fri 26 Sep 2014, 8:55 pm

While riding home after work, a pheasant decided to fly onto my left shin/cooling fin. A bizarre experience for sure. Four hours later, my leg feels very warm and is starting to bruise. It did make me wonder if anyone else has biking/animal incidents? Ray
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Pheasant suicide at 70 mph (ish) Empty Re: Pheasant suicide at 70 mph (ish)

Post by badseeds Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:17 pm

Yep. I had a pheasant run into the offside cylinder head on an R850R at 60mph. I squashed a squirrel on a Z550GT. A badger smashed the belly-pan off a GPz550. A pigeon flew into my left shoulder as was travelling at 100mph an the A14. Another pigeon flew into my chest on the North Circular. I hit a massive deer at walking-pace on an ST1100, I managed to slow down quite a bit. Almost stuffed a Bandit into a field whilst trying to avoid a muntjack.

In fact, muntjacks feature quite heavily in these scenerios from my biking past..... I've hit a few rabbits and stoats, too. I don't go looking for 'em! I've just done a LOT of miles and don't drive a car.

Post by Guest Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:20 pm

Ouch. I've had a fox shoot out in front of me and I rode over the poor sod, I had no time to react. The bike jumped and I near shit myself but got away clean!
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:21 pm

Many years ago (1999ish) whilst thrashing through the lanes of Epping, a friend of mine braked hard to avoid a mouse on the road. Unfortunately, he then deviated into the path of an owl that was swooping down to pick up the mouse. The owl made a massive mess of his fairing (slabby GSX-R) and almost reduced him to tears - he was a bit of a hippy and mortified at killing such a beautiful creature.

Shit happens.

chromedome
    chromedome
    the 900
    the 900

Post by chromedome Sat 27 Sep 2014, 5:54 am

I once got sworn at by a peevish owl sitting on a branch.......

Yes, it was suffering from Irritable Owl Syndrome. *ahem*

But seriously, a mate of mine years back was hit in the mouth by a pheasant whilst wearing an open face crash helmet at about 70. Broken jaw, missing front teeth and he fell backwards off the bike (which was a write-off).
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Sat 27 Sep 2014, 12:52 pm

I head butted  a small bird of prey that flew out of a wooded area into my brand new crash helmet on the way to aber last year. I was doing about 80, it left its claw marks across the visor.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:50 pm

Bees hurt enough, anything larger/heavier can only be worse... thankfully I have managed to avoid such things.
    skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyerae Tue 12 Jan 2016, 6:57 pm

Almost hit a deer, but braked very hard and missed it (somehow) by a whisker. Hit a swallow at about 70mph but luckily the helmet took the hit, blood and feathers all over the side and top of helmet though. Then a few weeks later a pheasant flew out at me on a rainy day and my shoulder took the brunt of the impact. It was sore most of the day but loosened off - my work is quite physically demanding so that helped - I think?? Then another pheasant attacked my leg another day and lost the fight. So so far, birds-0 , CB 500 -3 is the score.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 12 Jan 2016, 8:34 pm

I almost hit a deer, I was taking it slow about 40mph on a stretch of road that I'm normally doing about 80ish. If I was doing my normal speed it would have been a completely different storey. I've had a pheasant skim the top of my helmet and that's only because I pheasanted ducked.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 3:51 pm