CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+4
jonny10
HomeBrew
geewhizz
sullivj
8 posters

Anyone fitted these engine bars?

jonny10
    jonny10
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Anyone fitted these engine bars? Empty Anyone fitted these engine bars?

Post by jonny10 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 1:04 am

Is it much of a hassle fitting these? I take it the dreaded front engine bolt has to come out? What about the rear fixing? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGINE-GUARD-CRASH-BARS-HEED-HONDA-CB-500-S-N-94-03-/181510247467?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2a42da942b#ht_1092wt_916
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Anyone fitted these engine bars? Empty Re: Anyone fitted these engine bars?

Post by sullivj Sun 28 Sep 2014, 7:26 am

They look nice. Yes, they mount on the front engine bolt.  Check the removal thread before you attack that!

At the bottom, they hug the frame, so that will be an easy fix.

Not sure about the rear fixing though...
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sun 28 Sep 2014, 7:34 am

For the rear, I think it will hang off bolt 14, which goes through point 11 in this diagram.

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MY5WEA&block_02=F__2800&block_03=1578
    HomeBrew
    HomeBrew
    the 900
    the 900

Post by HomeBrew Sun 28 Sep 2014, 10:36 am

I fitted them, they come with two extended engine mount bolts. I didn't find it that hard to swap these but my bike was younger then. The bars are very beefy and strong, and saved the engine casing from a nasty gash when I had a spill in the winter mud http://www.cb500club.net/t2364p270-what-did-you-do-with-your-cb500-today. They also stick out so far they reduce your lean angle, so if you chop the throttle in mid corner or take a corner fast with lots of lean, these ground out, which unsettles the bike. I have replaced them with ones that do not reduce lean angle.
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Sun 28 Sep 2014, 10:52 am

HomeBrew wrote:I have replaced them with ones that do not reduce lean angle.
    what did you replace them with?
    HomeBrew
    HomeBrew
    the 900
    the 900

Post by HomeBrew Sun 28 Sep 2014, 11:05 am

I got them second hand of somebody breaking a cb500 on ebay, they mount at the front engine mounting bolt and clamp onto the frame at the bottom. They are chromed.  Sorry I do not know the make. Because they were second hand they didn't come with a extended mounting bolt, but I already had that.
    jonny10
    jonny10
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:44 pm

Good info, thanks all.
    Must have a go at shifting the engine bolts, especially that front b'stard, before buying the bars.
    Good advice in that other thread too...
    ar1
    ar1
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by ar1 Mon 13 Apr 2015, 5:46 pm

Hi i have this type of crash bar fitted they are good and the do not peel the paint or rust and they are easy to fit, but remember to keep your standard bolts. oil checking and filling is tricky as access to the level plug is restricted, hope this helps , regards J
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Mon 13 Apr 2015, 6:01 pm

I got a pair of engine bars off a guy breaking a cb, but there's fixing brackets(can make up brackets) missing. having second taught about putting them on as they stick out quite  far , ugly really. Thinking about getting r.g. crash mushrooms instead. I don't know make of them( engine crash bars). Also some lads were saying in heavy bang  can send force to frame via engine bars
    ar1
    ar1
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by ar1 Mon 13 Apr 2015, 6:47 pm

Hi i find them no problem on taking bends but theY do seem take up some foot room around the engine re, the frame the bars are really meant to prevent damage to engine cases in a slide or falling of the stand if the bars took such a smack as to damage the frame it would have been a big smack and weather it had crash bars or not the bike would be toast anyway, regards J
    jbwalton
    jbwalton
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jbwalton Mon 26 Dec 2016, 2:11 pm

I'm just having a go at fitting these heed engine bars I've managed to get both original engine mounting bolts out quite easily. Need supply a new set of longer mounting bolts, I don't seem to have a problem with the back mounting bolt that has two spacers supplied the problem is with the front mounting bolt that they supply which is 300 millimetres long, even with that bolt equalised through the mountings and the new engine bars fitted it looks like that bolt is just too long( you'll run out of thread before they'll tighten). You'd almost think that the front bolt requires spacers as well?. Anybody come across this before and how did you sort it please?
    jbwalton
    jbwalton
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jbwalton Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:38 pm

Heed engine bars now fitted. Very reasonable quality, just remember if you order these Bars from heed they will come with two engine bolts the front One 300 millimetre and the rear one 245 millimetre,this is fine if you have a naked bike however if your fitting to a faired bike(mine is a 2001 S) both bolts will need to be 245 millimetre. I've contacted heed to let them know this  but if you decide to order from them it's best to tell them your actual requirements.
    Reabo

Post by Reabo Sat 11 Nov 2017, 10:34 am

I have a 2000 cb500y, naked. Has anyone fitted these bars to one?
    Look like they will fit but not sure.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:47 pm