CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+9
alvamiga
chris1576
steady Eddy
Beresford
eternally_troubled
skyrider
wornsprokets
ashcroc
jimbobs63
13 posters

My CB500 Stolen last night - from SW18

jimbobs63
    jimbobs63
    the 800
    the 800

My CB500 Stolen last night - from SW18 Empty My CB500 Stolen last night - from SW18

Post by jimbobs63 Mon 20 Jul 2015, 8:23 am

Good morning,

My CB500 was stolen last night from outside my house in London, SW18.  Bastards!

Reg Number S434 NRG.  Black CB500V 1998 in Black, with no markings other than "Honda" in Pink on the tank.

I've reported to the Police.

Jim
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

My CB500 Stolen last night - from SW18 Empty Re: My CB500 Stolen last night - from SW18

Post by ashcroc Mon 20 Jul 2015, 9:19 am

That sucks I hope you get it back.

Will keep an eye out for it Wimbledon way, has it any aftermarket parts?
    jimbobs63
    jimbobs63
    the 800
    the 800

My CB500 Stolen last night - from SW18 Empty Re: My CB500 Stolen last night - from SW18

Post by jimbobs63 Mon 20 Jul 2015, 9:43 am

Thanks ashcroc,

Police have found it already - just a few streets away.  Apparently the only damage is the ignition lock drilled out and hotwired.

Police are taking it away for a couple of days for forensics before I get it back.

Jim
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Mon 20 Jul 2015, 9:59 am

That's good news. Gives you time to get another lock in preparation for it coming home too.
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Mon 20 Jul 2015, 10:14 am

Apparently altmax lock chain and lock ment to boltcutter proof. But if someone has battery angle grinder it cut anything.epidemic of stolen bikes here in ireland. Thieves should have a hand cut off
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Mon 20 Jul 2015, 10:41 am

Yep if the scrotes want something they'll find a way. All we can do is make it difficult enough to get cheaper insurance & for them to hopefully look elsewhere for an easier target.

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jul 2015, 5:20 pm

Scumbags Evil or Very Mad
    Glad you got it back and it's relatively unscathed.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Mon 20 Jul 2015, 10:10 pm

yes glad you got it back it could have been a lot worse
    jimbobs63
    jimbobs63
    the 800
    the 800

Post by jimbobs63 Wed 22 Jul 2015, 1:10 pm

Hello again,

An update:

So, because my motorbike was recovered and impounded by the Police, and I was told that I was not allowed instead to push it back round to my house from the next street where it was found, I am now liable for costs of £150 + £10 per day.

I also may have to pay about £100 for the bike to be brought back to SW London from the Police Pound handily located in Perivale, depending on whether I can get it started and ride it when I get there.

The actual repair of the damage to the bike is only going to be around £135 if done by my local bike service/repair shop.

The excess on my insurance is £350, meaning that it is not worth me claiming.

However I have to say that I think it is a disgrace that the Met Police - a Service paid for by taxpayers - is making money out of victims of crime in this way. I have formally complained to the Met Police, and written to my MP - Sadiq Khan - and to the Mayor of London Office for Policing. I've told them that if I was to be the victim of a similar crime again then I wouldn't report it, simply because I can't afford it.... What a total disgrace!!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest!

Jim
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 22 Jul 2015, 1:30 pm

...recovered and impounded by the Police... I am now liable for costs of £150 + £10 per day.

I'm pretty sure this is just a way of the police getting money out of insurance companies and making sure they don't lumber the police with lots of broken vehicles - most 'real' people may never see this cost because their insurer pays it for them.

Anyone who chooses not to claim (i.e. most people who own a CB500!) has to pay.

Well done on getting a complain in about it.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Wed 22 Jul 2015, 1:31 pm

If I might suggest, if you are not already a member, join MAG and make the team there aware of the treatment you have received from the police. They probably wouldn't be able to help specifically but this is the kind of cause that MAG fights very effectively as it now has the powers-that-be listening to what it says.
    steady Eddy
    steady Eddy
    the 800
    the 800

Post by steady Eddy Wed 22 Jul 2015, 1:31 pm

To forcefully impound your bike and then charge you extortionately for storage when you are a victim of crime is an absolute disgrace!
    jimbobs63
    jimbobs63
    the 800
    the 800

Post by jimbobs63 Wed 22 Jul 2015, 1:38 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:
    I'm pretty sure this is just a way of the police getting money out of insurance companies and making sure they don't lumber the police with lots of broken vehicles - most 'real' people may never see this cost because their insurer pays it for them.

Anyone who chooses not to claim (i.e. most people who own a CB500!) has to pay.

Well done on getting a complain in about it.

Yeah,

The trouble is, whether the insurance pays or not, in the end as the victim I pay - either because I would have paid it myself, or I lose my no-claims bonus! 

And anyway, we will all end up paying more because you can bet your house that the insurance companies will be raising their premiums to cover the costs the Met Police charge in this way...!!
    chris1576
    chris1576

Post by chris1576 Fri 24 Jul 2015, 10:01 pm

The police should inform you at the time, of the costs for recovery and forensics. If they have not then they have neglected their duty and you should not be responsible. 
    Most plods are not au fait with their own SOP's.
    It's only if the vehicle has been used in the commission of a crime eg burglary, that uplift for forensics is free.
    Cheers,
    Chris
    jimbobs63
    jimbobs63
    the 800
    the 800

Post by jimbobs63 Fri 24 Jul 2015, 10:20 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes I was told, but I was not given the choice of recovering it myself back to my house to avoid that cost - that's what pisses me off.  If they want to do forensics, whether or not they suspect the vehicle being involved in more serious crime, that should be at their expense, not mine as the victim!

And anyway, the Regulations that allow them to charge should make a distinction between charging for the impounding of vehicles seized for no insurance, MOT or tax, and those recovered after being stolen.

In one case, the owner/rider/driver is doing so illegally, in the other case the rider/driver is the victim of a crime.  Surely the law is discouraging people from reporting crimes?  I know I will never report my bike or car stolen again until I have searched thoroughly for it first!

Anyway, got the bike back and fixed today - done by my local bike service place as I didn't feel confident enough to do it myself.  And I was able to get the recovery from the Police Pound to the repairers covered on my Bike Rescue breakdown insurance, so that saved me £95.  

By the way, the scum bags who stole it only rode it less than 5 miles, and didn't bother trying to syphon off the full tank of petrol.  So that at least is a result.

Might go out for a celebratory ride tomorrow - weather is supposed to be better than today....

Jim
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Fri 24 Jul 2015, 10:29 pm

strewth that's bad form you get your bike nicked and then the cops charge you for the privilege as if you haven't been victimised enough Evil or Very Mad
    alvamiga
    alvamiga
    Godzilla
    Godzilla

Post by alvamiga Sun 26 Jul 2015, 9:16 am

A long time back, the police took one of our office computers away after an ex-employee had been accused of committing a crime using it. They were quick enough to come and pick it up in their own time, but then they expected someone to go 30 miles out of anyone's way to retrieve it. In the end, we never got it back because it was too much work for a machine that age.

I'm a MAG life member, even if you're not. I'm pretty sure they'd be interested in the case. I can put you in touch if you're interested.
    jimbobs63
    jimbobs63
    the 800
    the 800

Post by jimbobs63 Sun 26 Jul 2015, 9:47 am

Thanks alvamiga,

I was thinking about becoming a member of MAG and contacting them about this incident, as suggested by Beresford.  If you could give me the contact details I'd appreciate it.

Jim
    jimbobs63
    jimbobs63
    the 800
    the 800

Post by jimbobs63 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 2:39 pm

Hello,

An update on the issue of the Police recovering my bike and charging me £180:

Today I heard from the "local resolution officer" who confirmed that Met police policy had changed in April this year.

Basically, if you're vehicle is found by the Police, they don't recover it to specifically do forensics.  They recover it to stop it being stolen/taken away again by someone other than the rightful owner.  However, before they do that, they must offer the owner the opportunity to recover the vehicle themselves.

For this to happen, the Police officer must be able remain with the vehicle until the owner came arrive at the scene (up to an hour max).  The owner must be able to provide photo ID and proof of ownership.

So, in my case, the officer (who was apparently probationary), did not follow this new policy.  Firstly, he said my bike was being recovered for forensics and secondly he stated that I didn't have the option to recover it instead.  He will get to have a chat with his line manager to remind him of the policy, and I get to claim my £180 back!

Result! 

I will still pursue the issue of the law allowing the Police to charge victims of crime in this way as it is only a Met Police policy that has allowed me to get my money back.  The resolution officer was not able to confirm if this policy has been adopted nationwide, so beware!

Jim
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Mon 03 Aug 2015, 5:44 pm

Result! Twisted Evil
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Mon 03 Aug 2015, 6:45 pm

smooth

Post by Guest Mon 03 Aug 2015, 6:58 pm

Nice one! Very Happy
    jimbobs63
    jimbobs63
    the 800
    the 800

Post by jimbobs63 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:28 am

Well, this is slightly embarrassing.....

Having made such a fuss about the fact the Police took my bike away without my consent for forensic examination, and received a refund of £180, I have just been told today that the forensics have resulted in them identifying a suspect, and they want me to give a statement so that they can prosecute him....! 

So long as they don't ask me for the money back again....  Rolling Eyes

Jim
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:46 pm

jimbobs63 wrote:Well, this is slightly embarrassing.....

Having made such a fuss about the fact the Police took my bike away without my consent for forensic examination, and received a refund of £180, I have just been told today that the forensics have resulted in them identifying a suspect, and they want me to give a statement so that they can prosecute him....! 

So long as they don't ask me for the money back again....  :roll:

Jim

Embarrassment or otherwise, that is a good thing!

Post by Guest Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:26 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:
    jimbobs63 wrote:Well, this is slightly embarrassing.....

So long as they don't ask me for the money back again....  Rolling Eyes

Jim

Embarrassment or otherwise, that is a good thing!

Hear hear, keep us posted!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 5:28 pm