CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+7
rwhitton
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
ashcroc
mcalvert39
sullivj
wornsprokets
11 posters

anyone fancy a cb500 club track day in SE England?

liverpool_f_
    liverpool_f_
    the 900
    the 900

anyone fancy a cb500 club track day in SE England? Empty anyone fancy a cb500 club track day in SE England?

Post by liverpool_f_ Wed 06 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm

Hi all,

Just testing the waters a bit. I was wondering if anyone on here would be interested in heading to a track day when the weather clears up a bit. I have never done one and would love to give it a try. It would be extra fun if there were a bunch more cb's there and some members to have a bit of a social with.

It might also be handy to pool resources in terms of parts and knowledge too and, god forbid, a ride home should anyone bin their bike on the track.

What does anyone think? I haven't looked into much yet in terms of price, location etc but I am sure it is all very doable if there is any interest.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

anyone fancy a cb500 club track day in SE England? Empty Re: anyone fancy a cb500 club track day in SE England?

Post by stormbringer Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:13 pm

liverpool_f_ wrote:Hi all,

Just testing the waters a bit. I was wondering if anyone on here would be interested in heading to a track day when the weather clears up a bit.

Jeez, YES! Unfortunately, I'm not likely to be participating. Simply because this trackday would be roughly 1000 miles away. But the idea is right up my alley. Here in Denmark we have a total of one (1) racetracks doing something slightly akin 'trackdays'. Padborg Park does 'classes' on three different levels, teaching bikers to go faster safer. But that's not what a trackday is, right?
    liverpool_f_
    liverpool_f_
    the 900
    the 900

anyone fancy a cb500 club track day in SE England? Empty Re: anyone fancy a cb500 club track day in SE England?

Post by liverpool_f_ Wed 06 Jan 2016, 6:19 pm

The type of track day I was aware of in the UK is a briefing in the morning and a bit of coaching and then have at it. Usually split into different "skill" levels so the Hayabusa crowd can crash into each other and not us.
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Wed 06 Jan 2016, 9:06 pm

Its a great idea a cb 500 track day unfortunately i am in ireland
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Thu 07 Jan 2016, 12:36 am

I like the sounds of this.  I did brands Indy circuit last year and loved it. As you say would be cool to have a Fleet of CBs and forum members whizzing round
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Thu 07 Jan 2016, 6:22 am

liverpool_f_ wrote:The type of track day I was aware of in the UK is a briefing in the morning and a bit of coaching and then have at it. Usually split into different "skill" levels so the Hayabusa crowd can crash into each other and not us.

Yup. Exactly that would be just right.

And yes, a fleet of CBs and forum members whizzing round would be cool indeed.

I know the danish Padborg Park people require 'proper clothing' and road-legal exhausts from those who participate. How are the requirements for UK trackdays? One-piece leather & no particular noise-limiting? How about insurance (not so much the bikes, but the riders)? Imagine having to take an involuntary 'holiday' from work with nothing to pay the rent...
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Thu 07 Jan 2016, 6:32 am

Yes, I'd be interested.
    mcalvert39
    mcalvert39
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 Thu 07 Jan 2016, 4:37 pm

If anyone is in the NW id be up for it.
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Fri 08 Jan 2016, 9:17 am

I'd like to do a trackday at some point but would probably prefer to hire one of their bikes as I need mine for work & would quite possibly fear binning it too much to really enjoy it at the time.

stormbringer wrote:

liverpool_f_ wrote:The type of track day I was aware of in the UK is a briefing in the morning and a bit of coaching and then have at it. Usually split into different "skill" levels so the Hayabusa crowd can crash into each other and not us.

Yup. Exactly that would be just right.

And yes, a fleet of CBs and forum members whizzing round would be cool indeed.

I know the danish Padborg Park people require 'proper clothing' and road-legal exhausts from those who participate. How are the requirements for UK trackdays? One-piece leather & no particular noise-limiting? How about insurance (not so much the bikes, but the riders)? Imagine having to take an involuntary 'holiday' from work with nothing to pay the rent...

All your questions (& more) are in this linky.
    liverpool_f_
    liverpool_f_
    the 900
    the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ Mon 11 Jan 2016, 8:54 am

Awesome, there seems to be a bit of interest. 

I think the usual story for regulations is 1 piece or zip together leathers, which I think you can normally rent if you don't have them and a db limit on the exhaust depending on the track and session. Usually 90 something db so I doubt too many on here make more noise with their road exhaust. 

I would be interested to hear the thoughts and opinions of those who have done one already. What do you suggest for choice of track etc. The lesser known shorter tracks seem to be quite a bit cheaper for the day but anyone else's experiences would be welcome
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Mon 11 Jan 2016, 12:32 pm

ashcroc wrote:All your questions (& more) are in this linky.

Sigh.

Think I'll forward this to someone in my local motorcycle organization and say "Look, that's how to do it!".

Not that it'd help, I'm afraid.
    rwhitton
    rwhitton
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton Mon 11 Jan 2016, 6:53 pm

Last trackday I did was Oulton Park in November. Loads of cb's there. Nearly all in fast/advanced group with a few in intermediates. At least 3 or 4 of them had crashes including myself
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Mon 11 Jan 2016, 7:43 pm

i had no issues with my unbaffled fuel exhaust at 'no limits' brandshatch. You can get away with a 2-piece suit so long as it has a 360 zip apparently, if you don't own one id suggest looking at ebay, i got a good quality unmarked dainese 2 piece for a great price 

currently picking up consumables like levers and fibre glass engine covers so that if i do slide, it hopefully wont be too detrimental to the bike (or me)

and i'll hopefully have worn the tires down by then to warrant getting some new rubbber, might try those s20 evos...
    rwhitton
    rwhitton
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton Mon 11 Jan 2016, 8:46 pm

Mine passed easily at cadwell with no baffle in. It had recently been repacked with acoustafil. One week later it failed miserably at Oulton so had to put baffle in. Was really foggy at cadwell early on and crisp, cold and sunny, at Oulton so I think weather conditions definitely make a difference. If you're thinking of new track rubber you will pick s20's up cheaper soon as they're being dropped by thundersport. They are moving to dunlop alpha 13's for better grip at full lean.
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Mon 11 Jan 2016, 9:22 pm

interesting to hear about the alpha 13's , I'll have to do a bit more research clearly. Have you had any experience with them yet RW? Would you know if they handle ok if you got caught in the rain? I need something that going to be good enough for the road too ( sorry for steering this slightly off topic I know there are numerous tire choice posts on the forum )
    jim157
    jim157
    Two Tone
    Two Tone

Post by jim157 Tue 12 Jan 2016, 1:03 pm

Alpha 13's are supposedly excellent, designed for 250s and 400s. They were only available in Japan and Australia but I guess that is going to change?
    rwhitton
    rwhitton
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton Tue 12 Jan 2016, 1:24 pm

geewhizz wrote:interesting to hear about the alpha 13's , I'll have to do a bit more research clearly. Have you had any experience with them yet RW? Would you know if they handle ok if you got caught in the rain? I need something that going to be good enough for the road too ( sorry for steering this slightly off topic I know there are numerous tire choice posts on the forum )

Nobody has had any yet I don't think. They are definitely coming, thundersport lads can use up their s20 stock up to start with. They are being used because the quick riders were forever running off the edge of the rear tyre. Think they will be a big improvement, I'm on bt003rs still at moment as I picked up a mint pair off ebay for 99p plus postage! I prefer them to s20's but I don't race with thundersport so I have free choice.
    rwhitton
    rwhitton
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton Tue 12 Jan 2016, 1:26 pm

They will be 110 front and 140 rear again by the way.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Wed 13 Jan 2016, 12:12 pm

can't say I have any desire to track the CB but if I can get it down to the pit area and park up with everyone else inbetween sessions I'd like to come and spectate.

Dan
    liverpool_f_
    liverpool_f_
    the 900
    the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:32 am

That would be awesome if you bring the world's most expensive CB! If you wanted a lap or two on a considerably more crash worthy CB you could borrow mine for all the help you have given me on this forum
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:39 am

liverpool_f_ wrote:That would be awesome if you bring the world's most expensive CB! If you wanted a lap or two on a considerably more crash worthy CB you could borrow mine for all the help you have given me on this forum

ha, that bloody sullivj giving out monikers.

thanks... its all about the crash aspect, the last track day I did was on my VFR and completely trashed a good set of discs and pads but yes I don't fancy binning it either and sods law it'll be 'the worlds most expensive' that goes down  Laughing
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:12 am

jerryfudd wrote:can't say I have any desire to track the CB but if I can get it down to the pit area and park up with everyone else in between sessions I'd like to come and spectate.

Dan
    Ride the CB down & hire something at the track to thrash to your hearts content. You could even use their leathers if you don't fancy scuffing your own.
    burning_rubber
    burning_rubber
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by burning_rubber Wed 20 Jan 2016, 8:35 pm

am really up for this,

my cb is almost ready for another good trashing 
    my mate has just got a cb and wants to track it,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 4:04 pm