CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+3
burudis
trophydave
Beresford
7 posters

Upgrade for reg/rec

Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Upgrade for reg/rec Empty Upgrade for reg/rec

Post by Beresford Thu 21 Jan 2016, 3:02 pm

I've been reading davebike500 's post in the previous thread "charging/battery". I hadn't realised that stator problems were common with CB500 s but I'd been researching the problem for my Tiger and there is a solution which would seem to only cost about what he paid to upgrade his reg/rec. The answer is to fit a modern 'series ' type reg/rec which is now the choice for a lot of modern bikes particularly Suzukis. The reasoning is described here -

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?action=printpage;topic=20426.0
    though I got the info from the Triumph.rat site.
    I have fitted the Shindengen reg/rec to the Tiger which I sourced from a local Polaris dealer, and if I find I am getting any problems with the CB charging system I'll probably fit one on it as well.
    Maybe somebody on this site knows whether Honda have used series reg/recs and on what bikes as this would probably make it easier to source a connection lead, otherwise the cheap Triumph one might be altered to suit.
    trophydave
    trophydave
    Godly
    Godly

Upgrade for reg/rec Empty Re: Upgrade for reg/rec

Post by trophydave Thu 21 Jan 2016, 9:38 pm

As a fellow Tiger owner I suffered a dead Rectifier/Regulator last summer.I replaced it with a Mosfet one and the wiring harness which is available from Triumph.The new R/R runs much cooler than the old one which would get almost too hot to touch.I havent wired the R/R directly to the battery but may well do in the future.
    My CB500 is fitted with a finned R/R that I used to carry as a spare on my VFR750 about eight years ago.The VFR and the Africa Twin that followed it both had computer fans fitted to the R/R to try and make them run a bit cooler.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:11 pm

Both the original type R/Rs and the Mosfet versions are 'shunt' type rectifiers and they do run hot even when there is no circuit load. Apparently the series type work in a way which allows the stator and reg/rec to run cooler therefore making them a lot more reliable. All the info is in the above post and links therein.

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jan 2016, 11:11 am

Triumph late 955i and 1050 engines are well known fro charging problems
    At least 50% of the dozens I seen are caused by the totally inadequate triumph loom  !

Wiring the stator direct to the rec/reg makes a big difference adding better + and - power lines to the output of the rec reg also helps a lot

Me I not that effused by the "it need a mosfet unit" but have found VFr800 units will work well

Re-siting the rec/reg away from the beck of the engine is not something I have done but is  also recommended !

Whatever rec/reg you use the power that is not required has to go somewhere if not turned to heat by the rec/reg it is reflected back to the stator and the triumph one is very poorly cooled by the oil  in fact keeping to oil over full helps prevent melted stators !
    burudis
    burudis
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by burudis Fri 08 Jun 2018, 2:14 pm

much better shindengen japan reg.
    Not china !......... althoug mosfet is sayed.

https://www.shindengen.com/products/electro/motorcycle/reg/

mandahuevos cuñao.......
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 30 Jun 2021, 11:02 am

And so, finally, my regrec packed in.
    Luckily, I have installed a voltage sentinel specifically to warn me of this issue.

Next, I'll have to replace it. Spare part ordered from my local Honda dealer - hopefully an upgraded version?

Anyways, on another Honda forum people are addressing the issue by replacing their failed Honda-regrecs with a replacement part from a small local manufacturer making so-called Schnabel-regrecs.

It's a danish supplier. Not chinese. Perhaps the link will be of use to you:
    http://discteknik.dk/Schnabel/schnabel.htm

He makes bespoke systems for almost anything, in case you have an old Ariel or somesuch thing in need of electrical assistance.

cheesepiece1 likes this post

eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 30 Jun 2021, 5:48 pm

stormbringer wrote:And so, finally, my regrec packed in.
    Luckily, I have installed a voltage sentinel specifically to warn me of this issue.

Next, I'll have to replace it. Spare part ordered from my local Honda dealer - hopefully an upgraded version?

As I recall the 'better' version from Honda has some fins on it (the fins it probably should have had from the outset!).  My 'improved' one has been no problem since installation a number (can't remember how many) of years ago.  Since I installed it I've never noticed it getting particularly hot, so I took that as a good sign.

Anyways, on another Honda forum people are addressing the issue by replacing their failed Honda-regrecs with a replacement part from a small local manufacturer making so-called Schnabel-regrecs.

It's a danish supplier. Not chinese. Perhaps the link will be of use to you:
    http://discteknik.dk/Schnabel/schnabel.htm

He makes bespoke systems for almost anything, in case you have an old Ariel or somesuch thing in need of electrical assistance.

TBH, for the CB500, almost any three-phase regulator rectifier, designed to work with permanent magnet alternators will be fine as long as it can stand the heat.  The good thing about a local supplier is it is easier to complain when things go wrong - this also encourages them to make a better product (so kind of a win-win situation).
    chromedome
    chromedome
    the 900
    the 900

Post by chromedome Wed 30 Jun 2021, 6:15 pm

My reg/rec has no fins, but fins....... mmmm.

Got me thinking now about using the microprocessor cooling fins from all the old defunct Pc's I have stripped out up in the attic, plus the mini cooling fans that mount on them work at 12v DC too.

Bit of thermal transfer paste and a spring clip mounting?
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 30 Jun 2021, 7:09 pm

Dealer had this TourMax replacement part:
    Upgrade for reg/rec Img_2075
    A bit disconcerting. It's not the OE part.
    Or - if looking at it from another angle - a good thing. Honda's regrecs managed to earn little reputation for being good, so perhaps an aftermarket part can be considered a wise choice. Dunno.

I also had a talk with the DiscTeknik guy on the phone. I was asked intelligent questions like "Have you checked for connection to ground from the stator windings?" and more like that.
    A proper motorbike electrics nerd. Those are always in short supply, so I think I'm going to do business with him in the future.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sun 04 Jul 2021, 7:45 pm

chromedome wrote:My reg/rec has no fins, but fins....... mmmm.

Got me thinking now about using the microprocessor cooling fins from all the old defunct Pc's I have stripped out up in the attic, plus the mini cooling fans that mount on them work at 12v DC too.

Bit of thermal transfer paste and a spring clip mounting?

This isn't such a bad idea, but I fear that the fins won't make a great thermal contact with the rubbery top of the 'old' regulator, so you might just be better with the fan only... but I doubt it will do any harm, so fire away and see what happens.

I don't know what the clearance under the side panel is, so you might have to 'modify' the heatsink a bit if it is too tall...
    chromedome
    chromedome
    the 900
    the 900

Post by chromedome Thu 08 Jul 2021, 12:42 pm

Alas, you were correct on the side panel clearance issue E.T, but was able to fit a small CPU fan in there. Ah well....
    burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by burudi Thu 08 Jul 2021, 2:48 pm

no modifications needed  R-R from electrexworld.
    You will have R / R for your children and grandchildren .......and let it be known that I am not a shareholder of electrex .......

And it's just a good example ......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 4:42 pm