CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

A Couple of Misc Questions

WaldoMcBaldo
    WaldoMcBaldo
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

A Couple of Misc Questions Empty A Couple of Misc Questions

Post by WaldoMcBaldo Sat 12 Mar 2016, 9:01 am

Okay so I've hit a couple of snags with my ongoing project:

1) The front engine mounting bolt. The damn thing was welded to the block using some form of alien technology I think. After much fighting I cored both ends with a smaller cobalt drill bit (Which I snapped!) and cut it in half with diamond Dremel disks. Lots of swearing later most of it is out but the bits that go through the block are still in. Basically what size are the holes supposed to be? I'll have to drill it out right up to the ally block and I need to know what size bit to buy.

2) The top yoke, how does it come off? Handlebars and big silver nut are off but it won't budge. Does the ignition have to come out as well, if so how?

A Couple of Misc Questions Empty Re: A Couple of Misc Questions

Post by Guest Sat 12 Mar 2016, 9:49 am

Front engine mount is 10mm

If you removed the centre nut and loosened the clamp bolts you need to just take the weight of the front not enough to lift the wheel and the top yoke will come off but may need a few taps with a wooden or plastic drift and hammer
    Stooby2
    Stooby2
    Godzilla
    Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 Sat 12 Mar 2016, 9:52 am

1) If you do a forum search there's a lot of info on the mounting bolt. It's a pig.

2) Have you released the fork tube clamp bolts at the top of the fork tubes? I have found that sometimes the yoke might need some gentle persuasion from a rubber mallet to help it off, especially if it hasn't been off in a long time.
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sat 12 Mar 2016, 12:04 pm

As the guys have said just that top nut and the yoke to stanchion bolts are all its held on by and taking the wheel off and so there is no weight will help. If you are going to give it a persuasive tap put the top nut back on by two threads just incase Smile

Failing that pull the forks out and give it a wiggle.

Dan
    WaldoMcBaldo
    WaldoMcBaldo
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by WaldoMcBaldo Sat 12 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm

Thanks guys, I'll get a 10mm bit on order.

As for the top yoke: The front end is entirely off, no forks (took them off to rebuild them) so it's just the yoke I'm dealing with. If it's just being held on by the top nut and stanchion bolts I'll try being a little more 'persuasive' with my mallet. I didn't want to start wailing on it if it was still held on somewhere I couldn't see at the ignition barrel!

Thanks guys!
    jerryfudd
    jerryfudd
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd Sat 12 Mar 2016, 12:46 pm

ignition barrel just has two bolts into the yoke.

if in doubt check the diagrams on the lings part site - it's pretty good for figuring how to dismantle stuff.

Dan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 3:51 pm