CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+2
eternally_troubled
ar1
6 posters

coolant change

ar1
    ar1
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

coolant change Empty coolant change

Post by ar1 Tue 23 Aug 2016, 7:39 am

Hope you guys can help. i have never done a coolant change before, do you have to run the engine when you refill the rad, also my coolant is clean and been in for a few years so is it needed to be changed, i have heard of air lock problems, hope you can help, kind regards
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

coolant change Empty Re: coolant change

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 24 Aug 2016, 3:17 pm

I'm pretty sure you don't run it while filling, just once you have filled it up and then, only briefly. Then you check the level and top it up as necessary.

If you are concerned about not getting any trapped air then turn the engine over manually while filling, either by pushing the bike along in 2nd gear until the engine turns over a few times or by using the nut under the screw-cover in the middle of the alternator.
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Wed 24 Aug 2016, 6:12 pm

Ideally you'll want to run the engine for just long enough for the thermostat to open with the cap loose so any trapped air can escape.  It's alot easier to do if you have a slave tank.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Wed 24 Aug 2016, 8:25 pm

Make sure the engine is cold so the system it's pressurised, undo the bottom hose that goes from the rad to the pump. Use a 6mm I think socket (do not use a screwdriver you'll wreck the head on it believe me) to undo the hose and pull it off and the coolant will come out. 

From there remove the tank and then remove the thermostat, more fluid will then come out. Refill it with water and then run the bike for a few miles, let it cool down and then drop the water. Repeat this until the water comes out as clear as it went in. Becareful when removing the hose as it is well almost boiling hot water after all.

After you've practiced using just water (flushing the engine/all the old coolant out) do a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water and then pour it into the system, you won't have to worry about messing up as you'll have already practiced it.
    ar1
    ar1
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by ar1 Mon 29 Aug 2016, 7:06 pm

thank you cheers
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 02 Sep 2016, 6:53 pm

What James said will work, but for reference there is a coolant drain plug near the water pump - there is a picture in Haynes of the exactly location.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 02 Sep 2016, 7:43 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:What James said will work, but for reference there is a coolant drain plug near the water pump - there is a picture in Haynes of the exactly location.

oh really? didn't know that but then again I know what bolts are like for snapping off. circlips are much easier to replace Wink
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sun 04 Sep 2016, 11:26 am

Jameshambleton wrote:
    eternally_troubled wrote:What James said will work, but for reference there is a coolant drain plug near the water pump - there is a picture in Haynes of the exactly location.

oh really? didn't know that but then again I know what bolts are like for snapping off. circlips are much easier to replace ;)

Mine has never seemed like it was going to get stuck, despite all the corrosion. The only advantage of using the drain plug is that it makes it easier to empty the pump of coolant...

Nicey2 likes this post

Nicey2
    Nicey2

Post by Nicey2 Thu 15 Jun 2023, 11:44 am

This is a splendid example of the fantastic info and friendly atmosphere here. This all I need right now for changing coolant Smile
    panagiotis
    panagiotis
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by panagiotis Tue 20 Jun 2023, 1:45 pm

replace also the coolant from the expansion tank, you can find a lot of dirt there
    if you remove it to clean it, it's even better
    Nicey2
    Nicey2

Post by Nicey2 Tue 20 Jun 2023, 8:25 pm

Thank you kindly, all went well.  Very Happy

I think one needs to take out the thermostat to get all liquid out. I also think that might be the problem if ppl can't fill up with more than 1-1.5 L. I also - as you recommend - sucked out all the coolant in the overflow container. I managed to fill the bike up with nearly 2.3 L. I'd say more than that is impossible - at least with my beauty.

But removing the container is too much to me - bikes are notorious PiTAs regarding narrow passages; much worse than elderly cars. But all that came out there was clear liquid anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:11 pm