CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

Car Sat Nav on a bike

sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Car Sat Nav on a bike Empty Car Sat Nav on a bike

Post by sullivj Wed 16 Nov 2016, 6:16 pm

Anyone looking to use their car Sat Nav in the bike might be interested. The important thing to remember is that the car nav only needs 5v, not 12v

Having been given a ‘TOMTOM XXL IQ ROUTES’ by a friend, I thought it might be possible to mount it on the bike.  Yes, I know it’s not waterproof, but I don’t ride in the rain much, and it saves me spending over £600 (!!!)  on the BMW system.  I also think it’s quite well protected from the rain by the screen anyway.

Having investigated the vast number of mounting options available, I opted for the BMW mount, which uses pre-existing screws above the speedo, to mount the bar.
    Car Sat Nav on a bike 4BAD0F9C-C8B7-4BDE-983C-A61B73673864_zpsvmyjwc4m

I then found a cradle to hold the TOMTOM, made by a company called RAM.  It provides a very secure mounting for the TOMTOM to ‘click’ into.
    Car Sat Nav on a bike 5DDE8567-2679-4725-A120-4A3A91C147C8_zpsvqwrfspn
    A good friend of mine, then made up the aluminium plate to secure the cradle to the BMW mount at the correct height.  He tapped the necessary holes, countersunk and shortened the screws, and delivered it back, painted and ready to fit – how great to have ‘friends that can’!

[url=https://s921.photobucket.com/user/sullivj/media/Mobile Uploads/2016-11/DF45B773-B6BC-42B5-B31D-EFCDE8AAE0CB_zpsqowlhdxn.jpg.html]Car Sat Nav on a bike DF45B773-B6BC-42B5-B31D-EFCDE8AAE0CB_zpsqowlhdxn[/url]
    The mini USB exit point on the TOMTOM is from the bottom.  Wanting to keep the cabling as neat as possible, I found a 90 degree USB joint, to allow the cable to exit from the rear of the unit instead.
    Car Sat Nav on a bike 95C66717-7404-410F-BDEC-F4B5F2EEB854_zpsppcqsw29

As it’s designed for the car, it runs on just 5 volts.  Having taken advice from the forum, I eventually opted for one of these (12v to 5v) conversion leads, with a mini USB on one end, and bare wires on the other.  I have soldered these bare wires to the BMW plug, heat shrunk the connection, and plugged it in to the socket available under the dash.  This makes sure that the TOMTOM is only powered when the ignition is switched on.

Car Sat Nav on a bike 450C16EF-FB4A-4665-BF3A-42A87EE487FD_zpsfwz01brr

I think the end result is great.  No, it’s not stamped by BMW, but I like it and it works well (for a fraction of the cost!).
    Car Sat Nav on a bike 0A831367-648B-4D2E-A714-5823834ACC93_zpsyetzjhya

Car Sat Nav on a bike 8F61BF11-702C-4DB2-A60C-B8855F6EAA15_zpsxiwtihqr

Last edited by Jameshambleton on Wed 16 Nov 2016, 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thread format cleaned up as requested.)
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Car Sat Nav on a bike Empty Re: Car Sat Nav on a bike

Post by sullivj Wed 16 Nov 2016, 6:18 pm

Can any of you moderator chaps tidy up my post? I had lots of trouble with the pics and formatting!
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Wed 16 Nov 2016, 7:37 pm

sullivj wrote:Can any of you moderator chaps tidy up my post? I had lots of trouble with the pics and formatting!

Can't seem to get around one of the images properly anyway back to college work that has to be in this evening... that I've hardly started.. oops
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Fri 18 Nov 2016, 12:39 pm

Ive used a car garmin nuvi in a tak bag & plugged into a cigarette lighter socket.
    For me the killer was the fact there was no way to link the sound to my sena headset so I now use the same setup but using my phone with the Waze app.
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Sat 19 Nov 2016, 2:24 am

ashcroc wrote:Ive used a car garmin nuvi in a tak bag & plugged into a cigarette lighter socket.
    i do the same, its a solid solution if you want cheap satnav on the bike but mines a bit bulky to carry round so I'm keen to hear about your thoughts regarding the functionality of the waze app? have you found a good mount for your phone or do you only use the earpiece?
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Sat 19 Nov 2016, 12:22 pm

I either just throw my phone/tablet in the map pocket of the tank bag or more often leave it in my pocket (running off phone battery) going by the voice directions.  Some of the voices state road names which makes the latter easier.

Waze is a free ap so you won't lose anything by trying it out.
    biglee
    biglee
    Godly
    Godly

Car Sat Nav on a bike Empty satnav

Post by biglee Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:13 pm

hi all i purchased a really but nw binatone satnav 20 quid of flea bay it has a bulit in 2.5 earphone socket  ,
    i plug a battery stick the ones you use to charge your phone on the go an d it lasts 5 hours i got a 2.5 earpiece for 3 quid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 3:50 pm