CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

Caliper corrosion

skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

Caliper corrosion Empty Caliper corrosion

Post by skyerae Mon 20 Mar 2017, 6:23 am

Took off my front (Nissin) caliper for an overhaul as it has been sticking for a wee while and removed the pistons to find they were pretty corroded (and rusty) Managed to pretty much clean them up with a scotch-brite pad and elbow grease. Took out the seals and there is quite a lot of corrosion in the seal seats which is proving a real swine to get removed. The corrosion is difficult to see at some places and difficult to get to. I have tried to use brake cleaner but this doesn't help any. Had a thought about sonic cleaning - would this affect the painted finish? Any and all suggestions gratefully received. Almost cleaned up one set of seats but then had a look later and found more corrosion that I had missed Sad
    skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

Caliper corrosion Empty Re: Caliper corrosion

Post by skyerae Mon 20 Mar 2017, 6:28 am

Sorry, posted this in the wrong section - not too sure how to move it across though.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 21 Mar 2017, 9:14 am

You need some kind of 90-degree scraping tool to get the grot out of the seal-seats - like one of those ones the dentist uses (google 'dental picks' for a picture).

Even if you had one, you would still need to be careful not the scratch up the caliper - it is possible but care is needed!

I don't know if an ultrasonic cleaner would help (it probably would). I think the ultrasonic cleaner would only dislodge parts of the finish that were going to fall off anyway...
    Vardypeeps
    Vardypeeps
    Two Tone
    Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps Tue 21 Mar 2017, 1:14 pm

I've always found electrical screw drivers small and narrow enough to clean most of the crud out but just be gentle as you go and it should be fine.

Done this way for quite sometime (without a 90degree tool) and brakes have always worked without leaking afterwards.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:10 pm