CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+4
siNN
l.t.racing
ANDYC
Jameshambleton
8 posters

Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!

Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  Empty Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:13 pm

**Currently in progress **  this will be complete when I've spaced out the disc and fitted a 150size rear tyre to confirm clearance. 

I've been able to successfully fit a wider wheel to the bike with minimal modification. This wheel will accept a 140/70/17 stock size tyre and a 150/60/17 oversize, the 150 size will allow for a much greater tyre choice of modern radial tyres that are much better suited to bikes of the same power as out little cb500, why do you think on the cbf500 that uses the same engine did they put on a 160 standard size tyre? 

The things you'll need are;

• a standard cb500 rear end (spindle, spacers, brake caliper and hanger, as well as the standard brake disc as they share the same spacings so are cross compatible. 
    • A nc31 rear wheel (cb400 super four 92-96)
    • A nc31 sprocket carrier
    • 4 Washers that are 1 or 1.5mm thick (I'm yet to find this out!) 
    • A JT sprocket - the nc31 uses the smaller holes on the sprocket unsure of other brands of sprockets but most of us will use JT 

This is the chain spacing of the standard setup.
    Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  Y4m2nFCyv8T6BhuwXeyf2mv0lKigGk3gCX0DSKtnR01fGzeIK-zmqqVphGd-P3WARRoKUfOVpn5kB-hmqLl_lDQNdcrYGVAY240yAokOy8WVoL9gVEUDYrrFbkTdH4Z3j5TysfmbDztlrOCdSfUIQovKWogMKR20u5H8TeWONK_w_CEYVkmpjPFigQD6cYHEqc5AaVW_nbJrzVhEjzxM9Cx8g?width=2322&height=4128&cropmode=none

This is the spacing with the nc31 wheel and sprocket carrier
    Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  Y4mmumFs0n7uB5y7UM4eCHwvV49OtrlpHFZzSj5EjdXQm3vPYuX8xrM17IMBxgXv-KZgXHZghfO7_uyGaOivnY1bRrhfPPy_09WijlErlX74k1R8VmjURZYne-aqzQ6lxOLbNpg6l-wFw1U0_l0CBOs52xgLZMl2-btrihU4woCWj-3tg6ExhhN-ehnIo9fdqwn1HL8TnCm0cC8jrnTFBJ_Lg?width=2322&height=4128&cropmode=none

The setup will look something like this 
    Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  Y4m2E-_d-UnCTDE5QO1kr831_6FMRJ9hBG5RsNlP2zzzIeGRSscFyN-HPTVO24GqK7GB5EXvQkR3yuIpbA609zUHryGmTmOIF37iDqkTNdx2GId1Dz0KPgQGjRe1YcC0cooV7GXB2gXttseDGsT9iA4jG5LQzI027ckNha0Kc3HdXmnf1QELkhmxCJ6_HdiemelgCN7UzAuSo97ndWHR_TOOw?width=2322&height=4128&cropmode=none

Here you can see why you need the washers to pack out the brake disc as the disc fowls the brake caliper hanger. 
    Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  Y4mMvy9a3N009mMlQsYe504ojGy6RR_Z5q7oP7NcO4nwIQZW1NFoRaHtdSt49A29EwDpHbzEfDVxyLd2zNOAhBTsNhmqixf2Zj-l4TjMdAytguq3RYMDpUYSdQXCv4hXbiXvKLzJ5pqMD8FdKXG47dpMwhqCK99q3lemOz5takQSUz90qorvcqVoR-Ax8oeIy1gHWqRzeRXjdPuIZH0t4KwSA?width=2322&height=4128&cropmode=none
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  Empty Re: Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!

Post by ANDYC Fri 28 Jul 2017, 6:40 pm

Lovely clean swingarm there James Very Happy
    If you just use washers to space out the disc there's a good chance you'll get squealing/ringing from it.
    I'm having to make a flange to suit the 600F3 wheel/disc for that reason.
    JamesHambleton wrote:why do you think on the cbf500 that uses the same engine did they put on a 160 standard size tyre?
    My thoughts exactly. However they did use a 5 inch wheel for it.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 28 Jul 2017, 8:13 pm

ANDYC wrote:My thoughts exactly. However they did use a 5 inch wheel for it.
    Doesn't that mean that the tyre should be a 170 and not a 160 then, but they selected the 160?
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 29 Jul 2017, 8:55 am

Not really James. 
    As wheels have got wider to suit radial tyres over the years. The tyres seem to have evolved too.
    Cbr 600's used a 4.5 wheel for years before changing to a 5.0 in 1995.
    They still used a 160 tyre though. Maybe we relied less on the give in the sidewall as suspension improved so could use lower profile tyres.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Mon 31 Jul 2017, 5:30 pm

Just a thought James,
    Which spacer did you use between the brake hanger and the wheel? 
    Rather than unseating the disc a smaller spacer would do the job. As it is only a small amount you would be able to compensate for the offset by putting a washer on the wheel spindle between reg brake hanger and the swingarm with the locating lug still being in its slot. Very Happy
    l.t.racing
    l.t.racing
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by l.t.racing Mon 31 Jul 2017, 11:36 pm

I have found a rear wheel, which is wider then std, uses same disc and speocket carrie
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 14 Dec 2017, 6:28 pm

l.t.racing wrote:I have found a rear wheel, which is wider then std, uses same disc and speocket carrie

Just understood what you meant by this, guessing it's the cb750 f2n?
    siNN
    siNN
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by siNN Thu 02 May 2019, 5:46 pm

Did you ever get round to finishing this? I'm looking for a wheel to match cbr600rr front end, sucker for aesthetics.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 02 May 2019, 8:39 pm

I did, the larger rear spacer needed machining down a few mm but I didn't get round to doing it so I kept wrecking bearings instead until I fitted a 150 tyre to the stock rim and I've stuck with that since. 
    I do have a nc31 wheel available though but I'm up the Shetland isles for a few weeks so won't be able to get it posted should you want it
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Thu 02 May 2019, 9:03 pm

siNN wrote:Did you ever get round to finishing this? I'm looking for a wheel to match cbr600rr front end, sucker for aesthetics.

Aesthetics are everything Very Happy
    I had to resort to fitting a front wheel from an SP1 to match my cbr rear one as I didn't like the 3 spoke pattern of the 600rr front wheel.
    siNN
    siNN
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by siNN Fri 03 May 2019, 8:26 am

James do you have the sprocket carrier? 

ANDYC wrote:

siNN wrote:Did you ever get round to finishing this? I'm looking for a wheel to match cbr600rr front end, sucker for aesthetics.

Aesthetics are everything Very Happy
    I had to resort to fitting a front wheel from an SP1 to match my cbr rear one as I didn't like the 3 spoke pattern of the 600rr front wheel

you got a cbr rear to fit?
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 04 May 2019, 11:44 am

Where there's a will, and all that.
    Bear in mind that the standard swingarm is actually wider than the nc29 on some of the pictures.
    This is an nc29 4.5inch wheel in my work bike, worked well for many years with a 150/160.
    160 means losing the centrestand, transforms the handling though.
    The front end on this was from a cbr600f3, not sure how much just changing the rear would improve the handling.

Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  00713
    Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  00911
    This one above is a 5.5 inch fireblade wheel running a 180 in a monoshock project for my original track bike It uses a cb500 sprocket carrier.
    The one below is my present track bike using a cbr600f3 5 inch wheel with a 160 tyre, this again uses the cb500 sprocket carrier.
    Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  Track_15
    These didn't just slot in, there is effort involved. Just to show that it can be done though.
    I only changed the frame on the trackbike to accomodate better carbs.
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sat 04 May 2019, 1:11 pm

ANDYC wrote:Where there's a will, and all that.
    Bear in mind that the standard swingarm is actually wider than the nc29 on some of the pictures.
    This is an nc29 4.5inch wheel in my work bike, worked well for many years with a 150/160.
    The front end on this was from a cbr600f3, not sure how much just changing the rear would improve the handling.

Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  00713
    Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  00911
    This one above is a 5.5 inch fireblade wheel running a 180 in a monoshock project for my original track bike It uses a cb500 sprocket carrier.
    The one below is my present track bike using a cbr600f3 5 inch wheel with a 160 tyre, this again uses the cb500 sprocket carrier.
    Wider wheel MOD Disc model only!  Track_15
    These didn't just slot in, there is effort involved. Just to show that it can be done though.

This is very interesting. What other bits and bobs are needed to fit a NC29 rear wheel?
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 04 May 2019, 6:34 pm

tberset wrote:
    This is very interesting. What other bits and bobs are needed to fit a NC29 rear wheel?

chain adjusters need boring out, as does the slot for the axel bolt. the nc29 has a larger axle.

To answer your questions. Yes I do have the nc31 carrier somewhere in the shed. Also yes, I do have the modded swingarm for the nc29 setup.. no idea where though
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sat 04 May 2019, 6:59 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:

tberset wrote:

chain adjusters need boring out, as does the slot for the axel bolt. the nc29 has a larger axle.

To answer your questions. Yes I do have the nc31 carrier somewhere in the shed. Also yes, I do have the modded swingarm for the nc29 setup.. no idea where though

Thanks for info!
    I realize that I sometimes lack the international terminology, what to you mean by carrier?

Is it only the chain adjuster and axle bolt slot that needs to be modified on standard CB500 parts?

Terje
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sat 04 May 2019, 9:30 pm

Andy - another question that came to mind: Why not use 600F3 wheel in the rear also?
    I assume it is too wide, since it is 5 inches and not 4,5 as the nc29

Last edited by tberset on Sun 05 May 2019, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 04 May 2019, 9:48 pm

Chain clearance becomes an issue!
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 04 May 2019, 10:11 pm

The one in the latest version of my project is from an f3, chain clearance is not as much of a problem as you would expect James.
    If you take into account the front sprocket on a cbf500 is only 5mm further out than the cb500 but it runs a 160 tyre. I fitted a cbf500 gearbox for that reason as they are otherwise identical.
    Two reasons led me to try the nc29 wheel initially, firstly because it was lighter than the original. But mainly because I had one lying around.
    The front end was actually a cbr600f2 as I still needed to keep The mechanical speedometer drive.
    The fork internals were f3 though.
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sat 04 May 2019, 10:31 pm

ANDYC wrote:The one in the latest version of my project is from an f3, chain clearance is not as much of a problem as you would expect James.
    If you take into account the front sprocket on a cbf500 is only 5mm further out than the cb500 but it runs a 160 tyre. I fitted a cbf500 gearbox for that reason as they are otherwise identical.
    Two reasons led me to try the nc29 wheel initially, firstly because it was lighter than the original. But mainly because I had one lying around.
    The front end was actually a cbr600f2 as I still needed to keep The mechanical speedometer drive.
    The fork internals were f3 though.

That makes sense. 
    Was the spacing of the chaindrive necessary when fitting a nc29 rear wheel? 
    Or is it only to fit 160 rear tire?

I am tinkering with the idea of (trying to) fit a `94 Kawasaki zx9r front to my CB. Hopefully the stems are interchangable, or a bearing swap is possible.
    That is, if I find a maching front rim with dual brake setup (cbrf2) for the rear one stock (or nc29) one.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 04 May 2019, 10:53 pm

To begin with I just fitted a 5mm spacer behind the front sprocket to push it out a little. This worked fine for years.
    The zx9 front end is quite a lot heavier than the cbr ones. Most honda steering stem fitments are all the same including the bearings so there is a wide choice available cb/cbr/vfr/vtr.
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sat 04 May 2019, 11:17 pm

Even for USD forks?
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sun 05 May 2019, 9:32 am

Yes, the biggest problem in choosing which to fit is the offset  and width.
    As the modern trend is wider spacing between the forks to fit in bigger brakes and less offset to speed up the steering the forks will foul the radiator unless the steering locks are altered to suit.
    On my present project I changed the 600rr yokes to fireblade ones to give more offset and therefore clearance. I still need to restrict the lockstops but not too much. There is always a trade off I find.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Mon 06 May 2019, 8:21 am

ANDYC wrote:Yes, the biggest problem in choosing which to fit is the offset  and width.
    As the modern trend is wider spacing between the forks to fit in bigger brakes and less offset to speed up the steering the forks will foul the radiator unless the steering locks are altered to suit.
    On my present project I changed the 600rr yokes to fireblade ones to give more offset and therefore clearance. I still need to restrict the lockstops but not too much. There is always a trade off I find.

usually that trade off is the fork legs hitting the radiator Mad
    siNN
    siNN
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by siNN Wed 08 May 2019, 8:16 am

Why not move the rad?, I cut the original steering stops off and welded a plate to the outside instead, kept more steering lock than stock by dropping the rad about an inch. Gives just enough clearance. 

James how much for the lot posted mate?
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Wed 08 May 2019, 8:56 pm

siNN wrote:Why not move the rad?, I cut the original steering stops off and welded a plate to the outside instead, kept more steering lock than stock by dropping the rad about an inch. Gives just enough clearance. 

James how much for the lot posted mate?

Not sure at the moment but I'd have to find everything first.
    I'm 405 miles away from home at the moment (as the crow flies) or 17 hour away by road. So will be a few weeks before I can get back to you with a price.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 3:50 pm