CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+8
cb500rider
Ice-Man
ANDYC
burning_rubber
Crash- Elmit
stormbringer
ZekeVal
tt fan
12 posters

HELP i want downgrade to a drum set up

burning_rubber
    burning_rubber
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Empty HELP i want downgrade to a drum set up

Post by burning_rubber Fri 23 Mar 2018, 12:21 am

i have a rear disc  set up on my 1997
    and want to go to a simple drum set up

i no it may be crazy but after a long trip ( see photos)  i found the disc is not for me, 
    and i want to swap with some one who has a drum in good nick  

any takers, am in the south west 

HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Screen11HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Screen12HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Screen10HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Screen10
    tt fan
    tt fan
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Empty Re: HELP i want downgrade to a drum set up

Post by tt fan Fri 23 Mar 2018, 7:05 am

Can't help with drum parts, sorry!
    The trip looks amazing will you be writing about it or posting any more pics? Could you at least tell us about your route please?
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Empty Re: HELP i want downgrade to a drum set up

Post by ZekeVal Fri 23 Mar 2018, 8:49 am

Sorry, can't help with the drum brake either ;p
    But that trip needs some explaining, YES !! Very Happy
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Fri 23 Mar 2018, 9:17 am

I'm curious; why are you not satisfied with the disc brake? To me, the rear disc delivers plenty of 'feel', has enough bite and requires very little maintenance. Methinks, what more do you want?

Some say the drum is 'better' in the wet. Dirt-resistant?

I'm curious.

And that goes for the pictures as well. I see cyrillic lettering - niiice. Tell us more!
    burning_rubber
    burning_rubber
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by burning_rubber Fri 23 Mar 2018, 1:11 pm

hahaha ill get round to a real post soon, heres the map
    HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Screen11
    i just cant stand cleaning the rear brake tbh
    and the wife's cb250 (she only passed a month before the trip) 
    is a drum and i find it super easy to work on. no brake fluid no seals just easier

HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Screen12
    HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Screen14
    also i think drum brakes can, when used well, be as good as the disc
    also less bite can be good for off road. (Think gravel/sand)

now i am back and want the bike to be even more simple to live with (i know the cb500 is easy but you know) 
    HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Screen13
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Sat 24 Mar 2018, 1:38 am

I think you may have to change your swing-arm as well to be able to fit the torsion bar that keeps the drum from turning when the rear brake is applied
    burning_rubber
    burning_rubber
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by burning_rubber Sat 24 Mar 2018, 1:49 am

yer, if any one has the drum set up, ill swap all the disc parts for all the drum parts
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 24 Mar 2018, 10:09 am

Most of the racing guys want to upgrade to disc from drum brake so I'm sure they will be able to help you out there.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 28 Mar 2018, 4:48 pm

burning_rubber wrote:hahaha ill get round to a real post soon, heres the map
    HELP i want  downgrade to a drum set up  Screen11
    Friggin' Mongolia???

Wow!

By all means, please put together some sort of journey diary or whatever for the rest of us to gawk at. This is mucho interessanto!
    Ice-Man
    Ice-Man
    Godly
    Godly

Post by Ice-Man Fri 13 Apr 2018, 1:37 pm

I got what you need. Full complete rear end from the '93 CB 500.
    cb500rider
    cb500rider
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by cb500rider Fri 13 Apr 2018, 3:24 pm

Have tried different brake pads because the standard version (organic type) give a softer feel in braking that feels more closely to the Drum braking if travelling a lot through moderate to heavy traffic while the other (sintered version) grips far better for more sharper breaking when needed in an emergency situation or having to come down from motorway speeds sharply due to using off ramp or traffic build up ahead.

Personally, I would go for brake disc use any day over drum brake versions, as you get better control & breaking with them.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Fri 13 Apr 2018, 9:36 pm

cb500rider wrote:Personally, I would go for brake disc use any day over drum brake versions, as you get better control & breaking with them.

The problem I have found is that there is a trade off using sintered pads. The disc wear becomes expensive, about 2-3 sintered pad changes and the disc is clapped out and needs to be replaced also.
    Cally4x4
    Cally4x4
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by Cally4x4 Fri 13 Apr 2018, 9:55 pm

I’m running a drum rear all good if you want to swap? Also what is that front fairing you have there?
    jerry atkinson
    jerry atkinson

Post by jerry atkinson Sat 14 Apr 2018, 12:21 am

Totally agree, much prefer drum brake, less maintenance and the back wheel far easier to put back on than the set up with the disc brake caliper having to fit into the groove in the swingarm. The older,mid 1990s model made in Japan is better than the 1997 onwards in my experience.Good Luck with changing over, isn't there a slight difference in drive chain lenght as well?
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sat 14 Apr 2018, 7:09 am

I'm surprised you didn't all follow Matts AMAZING adventure on Facebook. I posted about it AGES ago.
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Sat 14 Apr 2018, 11:42 am

not everyone on here uses that info gathering site so were unable to.
    burning_rubber
    burning_rubber
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by burning_rubber Mon 16 Apr 2018, 1:37 pm

Cally4x4 wrote:I’m running a drum rear all good if you want to swap? Also what is that front fairing you have there?

fairing is a powerbronze viper, only got it as it was cheep second, helps to keep the wind off a bit

where are you located ????
    burning_rubber
    burning_rubber
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by burning_rubber Mon 16 Apr 2018, 1:38 pm

Ice-Man wrote:I got what you need. Full complete rear end from the '93 CB 500.

are they off the bike ? 
    if you don't want to swap how much would you want?

this is looking more hope-full
    Cally4x4
    Cally4x4
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by Cally4x4 Mon 16 Apr 2018, 3:01 pm

fairing is a powerbronze viper, only got it as it was cheep second, helps to keep the wind off a bit

You done well to find a powerbronze I’ve been looking a while. I’m in Upminster Essex. Where are you?
    burning_rubber
    burning_rubber
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by burning_rubber Mon 16 Apr 2018, 5:27 pm

Cally4x4 wrote:

You done well to find a powerbronze I’ve been looking a while. I’m in Upminster Essex. Where are you?

i'm in the west, Wiltshire  so might be a little far unless you want the ride  Smile
    burning_rubber
    burning_rubber
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Post by burning_rubber Sat 27 Jun 2020, 11:47 pm

i did it!!!!!! all works well and with a year of being used i can say, almost just as good as a disc

heres part 1

part 2

part 3

Twinman, motofan and cheesepiece1 like this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 3:14 pm