CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+4
ANDYC
DOHNA
derby dave
ojacobs1
8 posters

Higher bars

ojacobs1
    ojacobs1
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Higher bars Empty Higher bars

Post by ojacobs1 Fri 03 Aug 2018, 1:37 pm

Wife wanted the bars a bit higher on the CB5 so I got some risers of ebay. Says it is for newer bikes but I took the chance and they fit nicely Smile.
    Had to re-route the clutch- and chocke cable to get it to work. Also had to loosen the hose for the front brake but plan on changing this for a longer one if wider bars are fitted.

Risers
    Higher bars Risers10

Before
    Higher bars Cb00110

After
    Higher bars Cb00410

Higher bars Cb00310

Twinman likes this post

derby dave
    derby dave
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Higher bars Empty Re: Higher bars

Post by derby dave Fri 24 Aug 2018, 12:40 pm

They dont look like they're sitting very central to the existing lowers?

Dave
    ojacobs1
    ojacobs1
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by ojacobs1 Fri 24 Aug 2018, 5:23 pm

derby dave wrote:They dont look like they're sitting very central to the existing lowers?

Dave
    They are sitting sentral but they are a tiny bit thinner than the lower clamps. That is why you see the alu colored stripe on the sides. A bit of black paint will fix it ... Wink

Last edited by ojacobs1 on Mon 27 Aug 2018, 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DOHNA
    DOHNA

Post by DOHNA Fri 24 Aug 2018, 9:34 pm

hi out there,this is subject i am interested in has anyone experience of higher bars [tranalp etc] and whats compatible with cables [again transalp,rebel etc] i realize electric cables would have to be extended,bikes great but body failing mot,cheers.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Fri 24 Aug 2018, 10:30 pm

I always preferred the renthal high bars.
    The electric cables were long enough, 
    The clutch cable from the CBF500 is slightly longer than the standard one and works perfectly. 
    The standard throttle cables worked fine too.
    ojacobs1
    ojacobs1
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by ojacobs1 Fri 24 Aug 2018, 11:27 pm

DOHNA wrote:hi out there,this is subject i am interested in has anyone experience of higher bars [tranalp etc] and whats compatible with cables [again transalp,rebel etc] i realize electric cables would have to be extended,bikes great but body failing mot,cheers.
    Not sure of the measures on the transalp bars but from what I have seen it looks as if they would be almost  equal to what I have on mine now, with the risers counted in. All my wires/cables fitted with just some re-routing...

Higher bars Cb00510
    hh_12345
    hh_12345
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by hh_12345 Sat 25 Aug 2018, 7:54 am

I have got the renthal road ultra low fitted and recently managed to fit all cables through their original routes as the bars are wider but not so high.

Prior to that I had renthal road low - they were a bit higher and required rerouting, it also felt like riding a taller , bigger bike.
    Louloudito
    Louloudito
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Louloudito Sun 26 Aug 2018, 9:09 pm

I second ANCYC, this is the best solution for me also. Renthal Road High with CBF500 clutch cable (a bit re-routing) and the Renthal Bar Ends. I am thinking of adding a bracer for the vibrations although most of them are eliminated by the Bar Ends.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:10 pm

This has come up before, here's what I've tried/works (had a cb5 since 2001 and a few projects too...):
    Renthal road high's - good control for backroads, upright position, top visibility, cables fit with a re-route, you'll need a screen for mways.
    Road mediums - odd pullback, cables etc as above.
    Road ultra low - nice and cables just fit. Odd with rearsets.
    Jota bars, flat bars etc all fit fine, clip ons don't as no room for master cylinder etc.

My current set ups are standard type bars but a little narrower/lower and rearsets, good for backroads and fun rides. The other bike has road highs, topbox  and is for town and chores. 1st bike does 52mpg, second one 66.

Also, to make the bike more pleasant to ride change the mirrors to slightly wider ones and put footrests with rubber on if you've metal 'rests.

muttley1
    Twinman
    Twinman
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Awesome!

Post by Twinman Sun 25 Jul 2021, 5:23 pm

SW-Motech 30mm works fine, with original cables and routing.
    Higher bars E958d410

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:48 pm