CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion

tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion Empty Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion

Post by tberset Fri 26 Apr 2019, 4:27 pm

I am (the proud) owner of a 94 CB500 and I`m currently looking into what parts are needed for a rear disk brake coversion.

I`ve tried searching, and have not found a complete list yet.

Initial thoughts regarding needed parts:

* Rear wheel
    * Rear caliper and mounting braket
    * Brake cylinder
    * Right hand side footpeg mount plate 

What else?
    Is drum brake pedal applicable?

If someone has relevant parts for sale, I am located i Norway.

Best
    Terje
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion Empty Re: Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion

Post by Crash- Elmit Fri 26 Apr 2019, 6:48 pm

Hello and welcome.

You will need to change the swing arm and the brake pedal as well
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion Empty Re: Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion

Post by tberset Thu 02 May 2019, 5:31 pm

Crash- Elmit wrote:Hello and welcome.

You will need to change the swing arm and the brake pedal as well

Thank you.
    Of course, the swing arm. Smile

Does anyone know if parts from other bikes fill wit?
    Such as CB400 NC31, for example.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Thu 02 May 2019, 6:11 pm

Unfortunately the nice swingarm from the nc31 doesn't fit, I tried this some years back.
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Thu 02 May 2019, 6:12 pm

ANDYC wrote:Unfortunately the nice swingarm from the nc31 doesn't fit, I tried this some years back.

I see, thanks for the reply!
    I think i sent you a message, feel free to answer, when/if you have the time to do so Smile 

Best, Terje
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 02 May 2019, 9:40 pm

IIRC, apart from the pivot point being too wide, the rear shock alignment would also be twisted from memory
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sat 04 May 2019, 9:52 am

Jameshambleton wrote:IIRC, apart from the pivot point being too wide, the rear shock alignment would also be twisted from memory

Thanks James, all input here is much appreciated!

I have ordered swing arm and right hand side foot rest hanger from a rear disc version CB500.

But, in regards to the rear wheel, what else is needed other than the wheel itself?
    Is the sprocket carrier interchangable between disc version and drum version?
    Anything on the brake side of the wheel I need to source (other then the brake parts, off course).
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 04 May 2019, 10:21 am

I do have a rear wheel with disc and sprocket carrier.
    I'll check today for the brake set up.
    I believe that the sprocket carrier is different as I recall they use different bearings.
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sat 04 May 2019, 11:03 am

ANDYC wrote:I do have a rear wheel with disc and sprocket carrier.
    I'll check today for the brake set up.
    I believe that the sprocket carrier is different as I recall they use different bearings.

Thank you very much, sir!
    Feel free to send me some pictures as well, if you find them Smile
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 04 May 2019, 11:13 am

Will do Very Happy
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 04 May 2019, 4:56 pm

OK, after an extensive search of my 2nd garage I now have available;

Rear brake caliper assembly with hose/ master cylinder/ fluid reservoir/ brake light switch and pedal.
    Rear wheel with disc and sprocket carrier, I'm bound to have the rear wheel spindle and spacers. I'm sure that I have the caliper mounting plate too, but that is still in hiding.
    I have even found a good right hand(or foot in this case) footrest hanger plate.
    Until I get to clean them up tomorrow I can't post any pictures.( As I can't bring myself to show them until they are cleaned.)
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sat 04 May 2019, 5:18 pm

ANDYC wrote:OK, after an extensive search of my 2nd garage I now have available;

Rear brake caliper assembly with hose/ master cylinder/ fluid reservoir/ brake light switch and pedal.
    Rear wheel with disc and sprocket carrier, I'm bound to have the rear wheel spindle and spacers. I'm sure that I have the caliper mounting plate too, but that is still in hiding.
    I have even found a good right hand(or foot in this case) footrest hanger plate.
    Until I get to clean them up tomorrow I can't post any pictures.( As I can't bring myself to show them until they are cleaned.)

That is very good news Smile
    Please PM me a price, incl shipping to Norway.

Best,
    Terje
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sun 05 May 2019, 2:40 pm

OK, this is what I have so far. The spindle and caliper mounting plate will need further investigation.
    The rear wheel now has an almost new sprocket that I have just found in my searching.
    I can't guarantee the bearings, but if you're anything like me you would replace those anyway.
    The tyre would be removed to cut down on postage unless you need one.
    Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion 02510
    Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion 02610
    The full brake set up as shown, I have checked the bleed nipple and it's not seized or stripped.
    The piston moves fine with no leaks.
    Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion 02710
    Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion 02810
    Parts needed for rear disc brake conversion 02910
    I would have to get the tyre off and package everything before I can give an accurate price on postage as they all need size and weight figures to get any quote.
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sun 05 May 2019, 2:51 pm

This looks good, I am very interested in this. I do not need the tire. Looking foreward to hear from you regarding price and shipping.

Best
    Terje
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sun 05 May 2019, 5:37 pm

I've just managed to get the tyre off Very Happy.
    I have also found the spindle with the spacers. I would have sent a picture of it but already wrapped it so I could add it to the weight.
    For everything in the pictures and the spindle £150 + £45 postage
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sun 05 May 2019, 6:08 pm

Sounds good, send me a PM with info Smile
    tberset
    tberset
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by tberset Sun 05 May 2019, 6:47 pm

Did you also find the mounting plate Andy?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:17 pm