CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

Newby

Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Newby Empty Newby

Post by Rob the dog Thu 18 Mar 2021, 3:37 pm

Afternoon everyone, new member here from derby, currently riding (badly) a cb500s which I bought after my bike test in 2011 and I believe that I am going to own this machine for life. I also have a cb600 fs which is going to be sold this year and replaced with something new and shiny my personal short list has about 5 machines that I like but need to sit on to gauge seat height
     (bit of a short arse:study:)

I also have to wait until I have finished a course of radiotherapy due to cancer.

Is there an easy way to post photos?
    Al1040
    Al1040
    Running out of unique names

Newby Empty Re: Newby

Post by Al1040 Thu 18 Mar 2021, 4:08 pm

Hi Rob, welcome hope the treatment goes well and you are back to normal asap.
    What is you current favourite for the  replacement?
    You can use the host image icon on the top of the reply box, three to the left of the You Tube icon and select from your drive or the one next to it for an image already on a hosting site.
    cheesepiece1
    cheesepiece1

Post by cheesepiece1 Thu 18 Mar 2021, 8:03 pm

Welcome Rob. I've a Cb500s as well, though I had a naked one that I bought after passing my test in 2011 that I should have never sold.
    Good luck with the radiotherapy, hope it's all going as well as it can.
    Re: images, I upload mine to Imgur and copy that link into my posts between two square brackets, the first containing the three letters IMG and the second containing /IMG then the photo shows up in line.
    goulton
    goulton
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by goulton Thu 18 Mar 2021, 11:18 pm

Hello Rob and welcome

Sorry to hear of your illness.

If, as you say, you are riding badly may I suggest you make contact with your local IAM RoadSmart or RoSPA bike group.  Either of these will provide you with training that will get you somewhere near Police riding standards and it won't cost you a fortune - a small joining fee and some petrol money for your instructor on each ride.
    I have had to learn to ride twice, first in 1960 and then again in 2005 after a break in riding of 42 years, both times I was self-taught.  The main change in this time was that the gear change and brake were in the wrong place so braking usually resulted in changing down gears.
    It was after the second attempt to learn that I realised that the roads were too busy to get everything right and I sought help from the IAM.  I'm glad I did as my riding quickly became much smoother, faster and safer.
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Fri 19 Mar 2021, 11:52 am

+1 on Goultons comment. After 40 years of riding I have enrolled in the RoSPA advanced rider programme. It seemed the best fit for me.
    Every day is a school day and you can never stop learning, my two penneth!
    goulton
    goulton
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by goulton Fri 19 Mar 2021, 9:36 pm

Hello Rob

I'm glad to hear you have enrolled with the local RoSPA group.  Of the two I, and many of my fellow riders, think they are the better of the two organisations as they are less presciptive in their outlook.  What I mean by that is that, with IAM RoadSmart, if you don't carry out a manoeuvre exactly as described in their instruction book you will be penalised. RoSPA take a slightly more lenient approach but without any compromise to safety.  RoSPA uses "Motorcycle Roadcraft" (sub-titled "police rider's handbook to better motorcycling") as the basis for training but if you don't follow it to the letter but the examiner thinks that what you do is perfectly safe and you can explain your thinking to the examiner it will be OK.  That doesn't mean you can deviate widely or ignore the Highway Code but just be a bit flexible than the IAM.

If you detect a whiff of criticism in the above paragraph, you are correct.  The British Police riders are some of the best and safest road riders in the world and they were responsible for writing the Roadcraft books.  So why IAM RoadSmart goes off and writes their own manual (reinventing the wheel) I am at a loss to understand.

I joined our local motorcycle group, Essex Advanced Motorcycle Group, about 15 years ago.  At the time they were an IAM group and I passed the IAM test.  However, a year or two later they broke away from the IAM and became independent after disputes about our training methods.  We were told that we should not conduct any further training after someone had passed their test, we took the attitude that learning to ride well is a life-long process and continue to help riders improve for as long as they wish.  This means the group can offer both IAMRoadSmart and RoSPA training.  I don't know the percentages but it will be at least 90% taking the RoSPA test.

You will gather that I am very much in favour of RoSPA over IAM RoadSmart. The RoSPA test has the advantage of being graded, bronze, silver and gold.  I doubt you Derby group would say you are test ready until you are capable of passing at silver level. If you pass at this level you can consider yourself a very good rider indeed, if you pass at gold level you are the best of the best of civilian riders.

As another thought I would suggest you do not go out and buy a copy of Motorcycle Roadcraft as you will are likely to be given one by the Derby group in your welcome pack.

Chris
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Fri 19 Mar 2021, 10:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words . I had a twenty seven year break between failing and passing my direct access course and I only jumped back on board because I was jealous of my brother having six bikes. My shortlist keeps getting longer really liking 

BMW F800Gt and F850GS

Triumph Trident  tiger 800

Versys 650

Vee storm 650

Mt07 tracer

Some test rides will be booked late summer. What I really need is a double garage.Newby 9b68ca10

My trusty 500 has been to the Flanders battle fields, I have read the police road craft manual a couple of times  and one day I shall take further training.
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Sat 20 Mar 2021, 11:06 am

That is an interesting list, not sure which one of those I would go for I have an F4i that I imported from the sates. I am definitely a Honda fan boy..
    On the subject of training I was also 'put off' by the IAM stance on training and hence opted for the more real world philosophy of RoSPA.
    I did start the course last march, which only lasted a week due to going into lockdown, should be picking it back up in July. It was a really enjoyable first day, can't wait to get stuck in again.
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Sun 28 Mar 2021, 11:27 pm

My machine is 90% assembled I hope to finish it on Monday and then test ride. Self isolation ends on Wednesday and return to work on Tuesday the 6th
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Mon 29 Mar 2021, 1:31 pm

I have just finished the work on my F4i, been out for the shake down and all appears well. Just the fairings to put back on now.
    Hope all goes well today and you can get out for a shakedown before finishing off and back to work.
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Mon 29 Mar 2021, 8:38 pm

Headlight is considerably better, forks are nice and firm so very pleased.
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Tue 30 Mar 2021, 1:39 pm

Fantastic, great to hear.
    I know we should not really be surprised but same here, what a different to the forks Very Happy
    What headlight did you go for?
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Tue 30 Mar 2021, 11:33 pm

Just a kit off eBay 5000 lumens . An electric arc type  thinks it’s called HDI. I bought the kit about three years ago but never fitted it because I thought it would be difficult to wire in. Is it a difficult job to lubricate the rear swing arm mine has a dry squeak when under braking

It’s a HID xenon headlight bulb

Last edited by Rob the dog on Wed 31 Mar 2021, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just wanted to be correct)
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Wed 31 Mar 2021, 6:02 pm

Rob the dog wrote:Just a kit off eBay 5000 lumens

It’s a HID xenon headlight bulb
    Before you rush to fit this, I'd speak to your MOT tester. There was a rule introduced recently to fail vehicles which had HID or LED lamps installed when the originals were tungsten. It might be OK , but better to check.
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Wed 31 Mar 2021, 9:42 pm

I'm reliably informed (by my local RoSPA group) that the new rules do not apply to Motorcycles... phew

cheesepiece1 likes this post

Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Wed 31 Mar 2021, 11:46 pm

Even if their not legal it leaves the original wiring intact, it would take about an hour to reinstall a tungsten bulb less time if it wasn’t tucked behind the fairing, I also have a nice Led daytime running light on the front end. Almost as many lights as a volvo

cheesepiece1 and Al1040 like this post

Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Mon 05 Apr 2021, 5:37 pm

Test ride booked for a triumph trident 660, returning to work tomorrow  first time this year.
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Mon 05 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm

Looks interesting, should be quite nimble. Will be quite a bit heavier than the CB!
    Hope the return goes well.
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Mon 05 Apr 2021, 7:34 pm

Only trying it because the triumph team will be at the dealership would sooner wait until the treatment is over  .... but it’s been delayed
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Wed 27 Oct 2021, 9:58 pm

Really loving the HID headlight on these dark mornings it’s much better than the original one,no issues with the mot at all, looking forward to getting my tank decals fitted and the tank resprayed plus a few other jobs for the winter. Also loving my new Ls2 valiant flip front helmet it’s very comfortable with the best all round vision I have ever had.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 11:23 am