CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+2
muttley1
Rob the dog
6 posters

Beware of 10W indicators!

eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Beware of 10W indicators! Empty Beware of 10W indicators!

Post by eternally_troubled Sat 22 May 2021, 11:53 am

My indicators (as is normal) went all floppy (about 5 years ago) and have been being taped up and bodged ever since.  Eventually earlier this year they started to fall off completely, so I decided I was done with broken indicators and thought I'd buy some more.

Suffice to say that the ones from wemoto were rather expensive, so I decided to buy some cheaper ones off ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402546184918).  They look like this: 

Beware of 10W indicators! 2043349_1

So, they look kind of plasticy, but that'll be ok... right?

Well, on closer inspection (once I'd got them on the bike!) I realised that they actually have 10W bulbs in them rather than 21W bulbs like the originals!

I probably wouldn't care about this, however the difference in resistance between the 21W and 10W bulbs cause the stock flasher relay to go haywire, so I had to 'upgrade' my flasher relay to an LED one that doesn't care about the load (despite these not being LEDs).

In addition to that the thread is a smaller size (not the same diameter as the original ones) and I think they'll fall apart in about 2 weeks, but I was kind of expecting problems like that so I wasn't surprised ;)

The thing you should bear in mind is that these not-so-great indicators were marketed on ebay as 'Indicators Set For Honda CB 500 S Twin 499cc 1998 - 2002'.... hmmm.

Have fun out there, it's a jungle.

dfolan likes this post

Al1040
    Al1040
    Running out of unique names

Beware of 10W indicators! Empty Re: Beware of 10W indicators!

Post by Al1040 Sat 22 May 2021, 4:46 pm

Thanks for the heads up.... it is one of the things on my list....
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sat 22 May 2021, 8:57 pm

The thing I should also add is this:  you can't just replace the 10W bulbs with 21W ones - the 21W bulbs won't fit in the housings (the bulb glass envelope is too big/long).
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Mon 31 May 2021, 10:52 am

I really love my standard indicators, I always think bigger and brighter the better. Had to replace a snapped one earlier this month ... took two weeks to locate one and cost twenty quid. Bought one off the bay and returned it....wrong end fixings
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 31 May 2021, 2:41 pm

Rob the dog wrote:I really love my standard indicators, I always think bigger and brighter the better. Had to replace a snapped one earlier this month ... took two weeks to locate one and cost twenty quid. Bought one off the bay and returned it....wrong end fixings

Yes, I don't particularly dislike the original ones, it's just that they are becoming a bit hard to find!  Ideally I'd just like to buy some new ones that are the same, but I'm not sure they are really available.

Rob the dog likes this post

muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Beware of 10W indicators! Empty halfords finest ;/

Post by muttley1 Sun 13 Jun 2021, 3:07 pm

Hi,
    and same for me. My oe indicator stalks gave up a couple of months ago so with the mot looking it was time to get new ones. Like you, I went for the little bullet type ones from ebay, but they flashed to fast and not much fun to fit either with minimal amounts of wiring too. For the £7 or so I thought nope and headed to Halfords for their ones which were in the sale. Easy fit, wiring ok, but still a little too fast flashing.
    I took the bike for mot and its passed, so flashing is not too quick it seems.
    Not found some 21w bulb indicators as yet but the Halfords ones look robust and work so will probably leave them.

Perils of an older bike perhaps?

Muttley1
    Barneyuk
    Barneyuk

Post by Barneyuk Sun 13 Jun 2021, 3:59 pm

Fit self flashing LED ones like these 4PCS Motorcycle Indicators Flashing Flowing Turn Signals Lights Waterproof Motorbike Turning Indicators 12V 12 Amber LEDs Bulbs: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike Beware of 10W indicators! 51wWnVqAowL._AC_

Disconnect your flasher relay and put a link wire across the terminals in the loom. The direction lights on your dash/ in the clocks wont flash but that isn't a legal requirement anyway.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sun 13 Jun 2021, 8:44 pm

Barneyuk - yes, if you manage to fit some self-flashing ones, you won't need the relay - I fear that some people won't like those ones that light up from the end though!

muttley1 wrote:
    Perils of an older bike perhaps?

Yes, almost doubtlessly.  Also the perils of dubious items at very cheap prices - I don't really mind them being 'cheap', I'd just wish they had described them more accurately (like the wattage and the thread size, for example), then I could have made a better/more informed decision when buying them.
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Mon 14 Jun 2021, 10:56 am

'Fit self flashing LED ones like these 4PCS Motorcycle Indicators Flashing Flowing Turn Signals Lights Waterproof Motorbike Turning Indicators 12V 12 Amber LEDs Bulbs: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike '

I fitted these onto my 600F, replaced the flasher relay and have to say they work very well, will try something similar on the CB500 when I get a chance.

Last edited by Al1040 on Mon 14 Jun 2021, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Editorial)
    cheesepiece1
    cheesepiece1

Post by cheesepiece1 Mon 14 Jun 2021, 12:05 pm

These from m&p are my recommendation. No faffing with modding or replacing relays. Straight plug and play.
    I replaced both sets with clear lens versions in black, long stem on front and short stem at the rear. Went without a hitch and looks far better. £18 well spent.
    https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/mini-short-indicator-black-clear-536732
    https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/mini-long-indicator-black-clear-536733
    Beware of 10W indicators! HC3Tvrc
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Wed 16 Jun 2021, 5:06 pm

They look very nice and in keeping with the bike.
    Thanks for the heads up Smile
    Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Wed 16 Jun 2021, 5:09 pm

For info, seem to have gone up a bit now c.£13 for each set.
    Still worth it for a no hassle replacement.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:16 pm