CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+3
billybozo
ANDYC
Alexpegs123
7 posters

Upgrade front caliper 2002 cb500s

Alexpegs123
    Alexpegs123

Upgrade front caliper 2002 cb500s Empty Upgrade front caliper 2002 cb500s

Post by Alexpegs123 Fri 15 Oct 2021, 2:03 pm

Hello All! 
    New to this forum.. 

I have a 2002 cb500s which I love. 
    I want to upgrade the front Caliper for better stopping power, does anyone know what caliper would fit it from a more powerful bike? 

I have already upgraded the lines, pads and new fluid, the front still isnt good enough.
    Maybe there is a same size with four pots rather than two??!!

Cheers! 

Alex
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Upgrade front caliper 2002 cb500s Empty Re: Upgrade front caliper 2002 cb500s

Post by ANDYC Sat 16 Oct 2021, 4:37 pm

To change to a four piston caliper you would need to change your master cylinder too.
    As the standard one wouldn't move enough fluid to operate properly. 
    More powerful bikes mainly have twin discs up front. 
    Finding a more powerful caliper is relatively easy, Finding one that will fit without modification is the difficult part.
    billybozo
    billybozo
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by billybozo Sun 17 Oct 2021, 7:04 pm

Whilst  not a crazy rider I would ride in a spirited way at times , my front set up is a Venhill braided hose , fresh fluid every 12mths and standard Brembo pads , perfectly adequate,  can't see how or why you would need more ??
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 08 Nov 2021, 11:58 pm

If you can lock up the front wheel then more brakes won't help... if however you are having problems with getting rid of the heat (like on the track) then maybe they might.

It might be worth trying to have a ride on another CB500 for comparison - just to make sure that your brakes aren't defective in some other way.
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Sun 14 Nov 2021, 2:51 pm

Do people use a different brake set up on track bikes or just different pads, I have never had any stopping problems with my cb500s the brakes on my 600hornet were a lot worse. Front brakes on my beemer are good but the rear brake is quite weak and the pedal is way to low  and has a small surface area so most people use a pedal extender .

Ps I also have hel stainless steel brake lines front and rear.

Last edited by Rob the dog on Mon 15 Nov 2021, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I like to be accurate)
    CB_500_racing
    CB_500_racing

Post by CB_500_racing Mon 15 Nov 2021, 1:43 pm

Hi everyone, new here. Just thought I'd add to the talk about brake set ups. 

I'm currently building a track/racing CB 500 and using a Brembo M4 caliper, HEL stainless lines, Galfer 310mm wavy disc, HEL 16mm Master Cylinder and a custom bracket to attach it to the bike. I doubt you'll get a better braking set up than that on a CB 500. I can add pics for those interested? 

On the standard Brembo caliper set up, I use HEL lines and change the pads for DP racing pads. I also use an Armstrong disc, which is far better than the standard disc on the bike. Both set ups work well, one uses the standard set up but with tweaks, whereas the one above is a completely different beast. It obviously costs more too.
    Alexpegs123
    Alexpegs123

Post by Alexpegs123 Mon 15 Nov 2021, 6:24 pm

Hiya Peeps

Thanks for the advice, I plan to get the calipers overhauled As I suspect the front is sticking a bit. I will also upgrade the brake disc to an Armstrong , Ta

Alex
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Mon 15 Nov 2021, 8:35 pm

I beg to differ  Laughing
    Upgrade front caliper 2002 cb500s 20211110

CB_500_racing wrote:Hi everyone, new here. Just thought I'd add to the talk about brake set ups. 

I'm currently building a track/racing CB 500 and using a Brembo M4 caliper, HEL stainless lines, Galfer 310mm wavy disc, HEL 16mm Master Cylinder and a custom bracket to attach it to the bike. I doubt you'll get a better braking set up than that on a CB 500. I can add pics for those interested? 

On the standard Brembo caliper set up, I use HEL lines and change the pads for DP racing pads. I also use an Armstrong disc, which is far better than the standard disc on the bike. Both set ups work well, one uses the standard set up but with tweaks, whereas the one above is a completely different beast. It obviously costs more too.

Al1040 likes this post

muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Sun 16 Jan 2022, 3:28 pm

I've a brembo caliper, goodridge hose and nissin master cylinder, standard GSF-bought dot 4 fluid set up. No problems or surprises.
    Pads are the sintered ones and for summer and are worth it, good feel. Can't remember when I had to do a full on emergency stop, I'd be a bit bothered if my riding style involved a lot of heavy braking, just my view.

On my other cb5 its the same setup but with standard road pads which give slightly more feel for winter use.

I keep the fluid fresh and bleed a bit through every month or two. If there's road salt or rain on my ride I rinse the brakes over. Spraying the disc and caliper with brake cleaner is a good move too after washing the bike.

From experience, if the brakes aren't smooth or consistent, clean up the pad pin and if that's not a fix, bleed through and if still no joy, buy a new master cylinder kit.

muttley1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:56 pm