CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

Tankbags

aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Tankbags Empty Tankbags

Post by aramis Mon 03 Jan 2022, 9:01 am

As I'm slowly getting used to my CB, I start to think on accessories for daily commute and longer trips. 

I have an opportunity to get cheap used Oxford F1 mini (approx 7 liters) and Oxford First Time 18L tankbags. I wonder if any of you Ladies and Gents used one of those and can throw in some info.
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Tankbags Empty Re: Tankbags

Post by Rob the dog Mon 03 Jan 2022, 10:13 am

I think a top box has more use, my friend had a tank bag and unfortunately it picked up something small and magnetic which scratched his tank. Maybe you could consider saddle panniers if you ride solo
    aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Mon 03 Jan 2022, 11:11 am

All you mention is great for hauling luggage, yes. But to get anything from there, I need to park my bike and get off. 
    Tankbag sits in front of me, so I can put my phone/map/satnav there (in see-through top pocket), and in main pocket carry stuff I'd like to have instant access to. Wallet, papers, small bottle of water, pack of tissues etc. 
    Also, magnetic tankbag lets me take it with me whenever I leave the bike (for safety of my wallet etc). And I know about risk of scratching the tank, but ones mounted on tanklock collar are 10 times the money I want to spend Wink

I was rather considering whether 7 liter or 18 liter would be better for daily commute (valuables, water, lunch for work etc). The best solution would be to pick both and try, but when buying used I have no way to return it if it doesn't fit my needs. Hence me asking if anyone has any experience with them.
    TonyC
    TonyC
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by TonyC Mon 03 Jan 2022, 10:09 pm

Tankbags Img_2016
    Hi Aramis
    Here is a picture of me ready to tour last year, As you can see I have a 'Square' tankbag made by Aldi. Had many years of use and magnets hold well at high speed. Easy on off bike doesn't scratch and has carrying handle.
    And just looked on ebay and spotted this. Ebay number 294684244320. 
    My apologies......Just Noticed its a tie down not magnet.. Tankbags 1f615 Look on EBay there is plenty more magnetic tank bags.
    Hope this helps
    Tony  Tankbags 1f44d  Tankbags 1f601
    aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Tue 04 Jan 2022, 6:19 am

Thanks Tony, it helps a lot. 

But man, this thing is HUGE! Doesn't it obstruct the view of the instruments? And still held only by magnets? Wow. I guess on naked CB it would get way more beating from the wind, but there are always straps to secure it to the handlebars. 

What are the dimensions? I mean width and length. I was thinking half the size height-wise. 

I just spotted some two-piece 'square' tankbags with smaller base part (one 5 liter pocket) and detachable top part (about 20-25 liter). I guess fully stuffed will be similar to this Aldi tankbag, and I'm intrigued Smile
    TonyC
    TonyC
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by TonyC Tue 04 Jan 2022, 9:35 pm

Hello Aramis
    Picture of tank bag on bike is fully expanded open. When closed it is approximately 40x30x12 cm. You can see the zip half way up. Top is clear and big enough for an A4 size map etc.
    My brother has used it on his naked CB500 with no worries...magnets are that good. Can see clocks no problem.
    Anyway happy hunting for your bag.
    Tony  Tankbags 1f44d  Very Happy

aramis likes this post

aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Mon 10 Jan 2022, 6:21 pm

So, I bought a tankbag.

It's so tiny  Tankbags 1f606 
    Tankbags Q53YyGL
    Tankbags Shg4dRJ

I wanted something minimal, but... 

At least it fits my small bike Very Happy
    Tankbags WmlyhCY

But thankfully, I actually bought two tankbags. The bigger one is something like you posted. 

Fully expanded is HUGE!
    Tankbags HO0HoHD

When collapsed, it's half the height.
    Tankbags Ji0yvrV

But wait, there's more - top part is detachable! 
    Tankbags MijiIPY
    Base also has see-through top pocket, so it can be used as stand alone bag.

But wait, there's more (part 2) - all this can be used as a backpack (only bottom part or full set)!
    Tankbags 8bl15bI

This thing is SO modular! Top part also has tabs on the sides, so when detached, it can be strapped as tailbag. Straps can be weaved through handlebars/frame head for extra security,
    Al1040
    Al1040
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

Post by Al1040 Mon 10 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm

Result, more options than you can shake a stick at Very Happy
    Which make/s are they?
    aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Tue 11 Jan 2022, 6:35 am

No "big brands", so I didn't have to pay extra for the name tag Smile 

Small one is Rebelhorn, big one is Metro, but both are probably just generic Chinese bags imported and rebranded by Polish companies to sell on our market.
    The quality is okay though (as for Chinese product, I'd say it's middle-high tier). Nothing frays or cracks, the plastic on the map pocket is soft and elastic. 

I bought them used, yet the overall condition is surprisingly good.
    TonyC
    TonyC
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by TonyC Tue 11 Jan 2022, 9:42 pm

Smashing.... cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Bag looks good...Ideal for touring... Tankbags 1f44d  Tankbags 1f44d  Tankbags 737901405
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 11 Feb 2022, 6:38 pm

Looks good.  I normally have a top box, but I had to take the 'rails' off to do some maintainance and haven't put them back yet - I've just been using an over-the-shoulder messenger bag for small things - once you get the length of the strap just right then it's actually quite good (for a very cheap and 'nasty' solution).

aramis likes this post

aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Sat 12 Feb 2022, 8:58 am

As I mentioned earlier - top box is out of question for me. Bags are... tolerable aesthetically. 
    And in need, I keep 10L foldable backpack from decathlon under the seat Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content