CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

Headlight mod

Dominic Acland
    Dominic Acland
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Headlight mod Empty Headlight mod

Post by Dominic Acland Sat 05 Feb 2022, 9:37 am

Hi, I'm planning to wire my headlight direct from the battery, as @Navymike described back in 2016. I can't find much online about it though, and the links in his post have since broken. Would this relay do the job do you think? I think I've worked out the rest of it ok.
    https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/standard-mini-make-break-relay-normally-open-no-contacts-12v-20a-with-fuse.html
    burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Headlight mod Empty Re: Headlight mod

Post by burudi Sat 05 Feb 2022, 4:21 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yoep23dktk01tc/REL%C3%89.%202%20ESQUEMAS..jpg?dl=0Headlight mod Copy

the relay is valid. It is the most classic relay and these are the two types of connections. In this case it is to install the horn.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 11 Feb 2022, 6:47 pm

Yes, that would probably be fine - assuming you wire it up right!  Obviously you'll need two - one for dip and one for main beam.  Not sure you need the fused version.

It's normally open (which is correct), so you'll be able to use the existing 12V from the dip to activate one relay and the 12V from the main beam to activate the other.

To get the most benefit you then need to wire straight back to the battery - IMO it woulld be better to have a separate fuse holder nearer the battery.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 12 Feb 2022, 7:44 am

This mod makes a world of difference, I strongly recommend it to everyone 👍
    burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by burudi Sat 12 Feb 2022, 8:57 pm

there is that I know at least of the hella brand, two relays joined in one for these cases

http://www.butlerautomart.co.nz/our-range/Electrical/Flashers-relays/Product-Specification-3051.aspx

Last edited by burudi on Mon 28 Feb 2022, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dominic Acland
    Dominic Acland
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Dominic Acland Wed 23 Feb 2022, 2:09 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've done it as advised, great result on my main beam, but wierdly the dipped beam is really poor, worse than before! I swapped over the connections to the bulb and it's not the wiring, so I think it must be the bulb. I've ordered a nightbreaker bulb, see if that sorts it out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 4:20 pm