CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Engine out and in

billybozo
    billybozo
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Engine out and in  Empty Engine out and in

Post by billybozo Sun 23 Oct 2022, 2:11 pm

A chance conversation with a guy at work resulted in my getting my hands on a free set of tatty crashbars for my naked cb500 , came home from work very pleased thinking what a lucky boy I was .
    The smile was soon wiped off my face when the reality of trying to remove the front engine mounting bolt from a 97 naked confronted me .
    To cut a long story short after cutting off the bolt head and nut end then drilling both ends I decided to remove the engine ,which in itself was not big job ,once I had the engine out I cut the middle section out then drilled ,drifted and plusgassed ,finally drifting both ends out , it was a total pig of a job .

Mentioned to said work colleague about above and said I might as well check the valve clearances while I've got the engine out ,he replied "oh wouldn't bother ,they never go out of tolerance ".
    I thought "mmm, I just check anyway", turned out I needed all 4 exhaust and 3 inlet !!!!!.
    Have read on here the stories of the dreaded front engine mounting bolt and now having experienced it myself I now have full sympathy for all those who went before me !!!!!!!.

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:47 pm