CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

living with, and upgrading the CB

panagiotis
    panagiotis
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

living with, and upgrading the CB Empty living with, and upgrading the CB

Post by panagiotis Sun 05 Mar 2023, 6:31 pm

hello everybody,

I bought the bike brand new April 2001, thus next month makes 22 years, today at 167000Km
    The very first day I rejected the radiators panels, changed the handle bars and dropped the forks 15mm, it's still like that today.
    Never drive the bike to a service, all by my own except tires exchange and balance. I am very suspicious, trusting somebody doing things around... 

That time, 2001,  I was 1.98m / 115Kg ready to ride, today 1.94m / 115Kg ready to ride (yes ! I'm getting shorter...)
    Ride only country roads. 
    These have to do with forks and shock absorbers long story.

Front: staring with Hagons springs and then moved to Wilbers, oil 10W, air gap 130mm, gives me 35mm dynamic SAG and the best feeling I have from my front tire on the road. Please, any replies/proposals/suggestions/comments/notes/etc.  is welcome !

Rear: starting with IKON (twice) with 3 spring preload positions and 4 rebound clicks settings (set at 2), then the Hagons, for very short period, with 3 spring preload positions, recently on Wilbers, endless spring preload positions, 24 clicks rebound settings (set at 11) and height adjustment, give me 35mm dynamic SAG and the very very best feeling on where and how my rear tire is on the read. eye to eye mounting bolts centers distance set at 352mm Please any reply/proposal/suggestion/comment/note/etc.  is welcome !

Brakes: the very first year switched to high pressure hoses, last year exchanged the oil/dust sealing in both calipers, complete brakes transformation ! The best thing I have done on the bike. My suggestion: if you are not happy with your braking, change the sealings (brake fluid and forks oil every two years also give huge effect)

Frame and wheels: bearing exchange, wheels, swingarm and steering. The inner races of the steering bearings didn't succeed to remove them, Please any reply/proposal/suggestion/comment/note/etc.  is welcome ! 

Engine: not too many things, valves shims, once valves springs, once I took the cylinder head down and set up the valves to their valves seats, and once clutch friction discs, 
    Please, any reply/proposal/suggestion/comment/note/etc.  is welcome !

FUELING: full Delkevic with 350 oval end can and baffle in, the baffle is with cut out end cup and inox wire mesh is stuffed in the baffle,
    main jet 125 from 122, slow jet original 38S, one shim less than 0.5mm to each needle and decreased spring length with 10% as per forum advises (still didn't install the stick coils which I have...). DNA air filter. Spark plugs iridium Denso IUH24.
    Fuel screws 1 3/4 out. any outer drops the idling revs 
    here I need help: manual says 2.5 out, all the rest literature around says if more than 2 turns out, change the slow jet with a bigger one. ?

foggy memories of 165+Km/h brand new bike once.
    now rides perfect at 110, OK at 120, reaches any time 130, touches 140 at straight road, and waiting goes to 145+
    all the above at normal riding position (not kissing the clocks), 2/2.2 tires pressure, bad, or whatever, fuel.
    average consumption (never highways or city drive) ~5.8lt/100Km (48.7mpg) 
    here I need help: sounds OK or not ?
    The sealing washers of the spark plugs come out a bit oily, clean oil, only a bit only the washers , WHY

Please any reply/proposal/suggestion/comment/note/etc.  is welcome on fueling and anywhere.

keep and ride safe !
    panagiotis
    panagiotis
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

living with, and upgrading the CB Empty Re: living with, and upgrading the CB

Post by panagiotis Mon 06 Mar 2023, 1:11 pm

hello all,

front, forks
    has somebody drilled the tits on the lower part of the fork boots, so to drain the oil out without removing the forks ?
    if yes, what is the thread size and how is flattened, vertical to the thread, the surface so to seal through sealing washer ?

has somebody drilled/thread the upper caps of the fork tubes (51450KW3003) so to install air valves so to increase the spring preload ? if yes, how are the results ?

has somebody used something like: 
    https://www.kedo.com/yss-adjustable-front-fork-plugs-steplessly-adjustable-spring-preload-max-15mm-adjustment-range-aluminium-silver-anodized-1-pair-22826.html, 
    if yes, how are the results ?
    panagiotis
    panagiotis
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by panagiotis Fri 07 Jul 2023, 7:42 am

hello all,

yesterday, 172.000 Km I changed the carburetors sliders assemblies with brand new.
    the best thing ever done on the bike, metamorphosis !
    the throttle response is completely different and at wide open throttle finally the needles are high enough to allow fuel to pass.
    the bike makes 150Km/h for fun and still pulls hard (then the road finished..)
    currently at 132 main jets and 450 oval delkevic
    I'll try 135 main jest and feedback

I'll try to send send a photo, comparison between the old and new slider.
    on the old slider the membranes have become so over "sized" , too big.
    the new ones are so, bit so smaller compared 
    sad that never passed through my mind all these years.

all the best 
    keep and ride safe !!!
    panagiotis
    panagiotis
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by panagiotis Mon 10 Jul 2023, 8:42 am

back to 128 main jet,
    the bike runs the same but the engine is much smoother
    burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Post by burudi Mon 10 Jul 2023, 12:05 pm

The first ones came with a fork oil drain screw. In its exploded view the characteristics of the M6 ​​screw and length

panagiotis likes this post

panagiotis
    panagiotis
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by panagiotis Mon 14 Aug 2023, 10:53 am

dear all,

after three years of trials on:
    main and pilot jets
    exhaust pipes
    end cans with and without buffers
    air filters 
    carbs springs length
    needles extra washers
    etc
    I exchanged the carburetor vacuum sliders and went back to factory settings on the jets.

The bikes runs as new.
    almost two months after this exchange and i can confirm that the bike makes 150+Km/h, and average consumption is ~5.1lt/100Km on the roads and the way i usually ride.

three years, what a waste of time & money !!

keep and ride safe !!
    Al1040
    Al1040
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

Post by Al1040 Mon 14 Aug 2023, 1:52 pm

Great feedback, sometimes we have to do these sort of things to satisfy ourselves.
    Mr Honda did indeed make a great bike.
    Take care and keep the 'shiny' side up.
    panagiotis
    panagiotis
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by panagiotis Mon 14 Aug 2023, 6:29 pm

Mr. Honda did his job.
    The forum still doing..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:16 pm