CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+13
freeride
mikeyg143
wishnik
JtheB
spoke
Tommo
James_chivers
ashcroc
Trollface
broc11
greyhoundbloke
dk5418
pedro
17 posters

End Can From Fuel Exhausts

pedro
    pedro
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

End Can From Fuel Exhausts Empty End Can From Fuel Exhausts

Post by pedro Mon 27 Jun 2011, 10:50 am

Took delivery of a "Midi Round End Can " from Fuel Exhausts recently. I had read about them on this forum and thought I would give them a try (especially with Club discount).
    On opening the box I was impressed with the quality of all the bits.Fitting wasn't much of a problem but as other folk have said it does take a wee bit of time to line everything up properly.
    Went out over the weekend to give it a try , did about 100 miles , the exhaust note (baffles in) was great and I'm sure it did improve performance , especially in the mid range.I seem to remember reading that Honda ( and presumably all the other manufacturers as well ) had to strangle mid range performance on their carb. engines to get them thro' US/EU emmission tests of the day, the tests all being done in that rev range. So I think that the engine is breathing a lot better ( I also fitted a K&N air filter a couple of years ago.
    All in all I think that was a bit of a result, I would like to get a set of s/s downpipes next but might have to wait a few months for those.
    dk5418
    dk5418
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

End Can From Fuel Exhausts Empty Re: End Can From Fuel Exhausts

Post by dk5418 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 2:15 pm

Yep, I'd go for this one as well....I wonder, if they could organize sending to moscow... Cheers.
    greyhoundbloke
    greyhoundbloke
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

End Can From Fuel Exhausts Empty fuel exhaust end can

Post by greyhoundbloke Wed 14 Sep 2011, 7:40 pm

Have the company made changes to design;; seem to remember reports of problems with centre stand stop (or lack of). Might go for it meself if straight forward fitting.
    pedro
    pedro
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by pedro Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:17 pm

There certainly was a centre stand stop bracket fitted to the can I got from Fuel , you need to take the rubber stop off the old can and fit it to the new one ( a hole is provided ). You also need to make sure you tighten the clamp bolts as tight as you can otherwise when the bike is taken off the centre stand it (the centre stand) will hit the stop and revolve it upwards. Worst case scenario , this could mean the stand will foul the chain!!
    greyhoundbloke
    greyhoundbloke
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

End Can From Fuel Exhausts Empty fuel exhaust can

Post by greyhoundbloke Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:25 pm

Thanks for that Pedro; going to go for the Gold Titanium Oval can
    pedro
    pedro
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by pedro Thu 15 Sep 2011, 2:30 pm

Enjoy
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by broc11 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 4:59 am

pedro wrote:Took delivery of a "Midi Round End Can " from Fuel Exhausts recently. I had read about them on this forum and thought I would give them a try (especially with Club discount).
    On opening the box I was impressed with the quality of all the bits.Fitting wasn't much of a problem but as other folk have said it does take a wee bit of time to line everything up properly.
    Went out over the weekend to give it a try , did about 100 miles , the exhaust note (baffles in) was great and I'm sure it did improve performance , especially in the mid range.I seem to remember reading that Honda ( and presumably all the other manufacturers as well ) had to strangle mid range performance on their carb. engines to get them thro' US/EU emmission tests of the day, the tests all being done in that rev range. So I think that the engine is breathing a lot better ( I also fitted a K&N air filter a couple of years ago.
    All in all I think that was a bit of a result, I would like to get a set of s/s downpipes next but might have to wait a few months for those.

Hi guys,thanks for the posts,I've got a few questions, how do you get the discount from fuel exhausts for being a forum member,also should i go for the race version or the road legal? I'm looking at the stainless oval can,midi

thanks
    pedro
    pedro
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by pedro Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:59 am

Hi broc11, to get the Club discount you need to put the following code at the basket stage of the Fuel order page "CB5-OC-2011" ( suggest you go to the Fuel advert on the Club website to get all details for ordering).

As mentioned I got the road legal "Midi Round" can ,the baffle is removable (just need to remove 1 screw) but I've not tried it yet. It is fruity enough as it is for me.

Last edited by pedro on Wed 26 Oct 2011, 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ommission)
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

End Can From Fuel Exhausts Empty thanks

Post by broc11 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 5:53 pm

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for that,I'm going to order it now,the stock exhaust is too quiet and seems to be choking the bike, i'm very happy with the Cb500, great handling.

ride safe
    pedro
    pedro
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by pedro Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

Yes thats what I thought about the stock system. I hope you will be pleased with the Fuel can, I certainly was.As well as sounding better it also looks a hell of a lot better. I'm convinced it improved the mid range with the engine breathing better - be interested to hear if you agree.

Take care.
    Trollface
    Trollface
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by Trollface Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:37 pm

I`m working up to getting a Fuel end can too. Do I need to get one of the circular gaskets that you see on ebay to seal between the silencer and the front pipe, please?
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by broc11 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

Hi, I don't know,maybe Pedro can tell us,I'll post back when i get it fitted and let you know what I think, cheers
    pedro
    pedro
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by pedro Thu 27 Oct 2011, 8:23 am

Hi folks,

No you don't need any gaskets, everything you need comes in the box. Just make sure you tighten the clamps up really tight.
    Trollface
    Trollface
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by Trollface Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:07 am

Thanks for the info, Pedro
    pedro
    pedro
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by pedro Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:52 am

You're welcome.
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Sun 30 Oct 2011, 3:03 pm

pedro wrote:Hi folks,

No you don't need any gaskets, everything you need comes in the box. Just make sure you tighten the clamps up really tight.
    I used some silicon sealant on the join between the can & the down pipe to be on the safe side. I'm not 100% sure it was needed as I never tried without but it certainly doesn't hurt.
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by broc11 Sun 30 Oct 2011, 7:56 pm

ashcroc wrote:
    pedro wrote:Hi folks,

I used some silicon sealant on the join between the can & the down pipe to be on the safe side. I'm not 100% sure it was needed as I never tried without but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Hi, What type of silicone sealent did you use? thanks
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Mon 31 Oct 2011, 2:32 pm

I had some quick setting stuff left over from when I fixed white goods but a standard'liquid gasket' like this one would work fine.
    James_chivers
    James_chivers
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by James_chivers Mon 31 Oct 2011, 5:38 pm

I would use a product like Holts Firegum for the joints; it's designed for the exhaust joints and a fair price.
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Mon 31 Oct 2011, 6:05 pm

Firegum works fine but it leaves a nasty grey residue so I'd personally leave it for car exhausts where it's hidden from view. The beauty of silicon sealant is being clear (unless choose a coloured one), it isn't so noticeable & it'll easily handle the heat cycles.
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by broc11 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:41 pm

pedro wrote:Yes thats what I thought about the stock system. I hope you will be pleased with the Fuel can, I certainly was.As well as sounding better it also looks a hell of a lot better. I'm convinced it improved the mid range with the engine breathing better - be interested to hear if you agree.

Take care.

Hi Pedro,

I got my Fuel can today and got it fitted no problem,took me less than an hour,very starightforward, I didnt bother using any silicone in the joints,just gave them a good tightening up.

I got the midi round road legal with carbon finish,I'm very happy with how it looks and the sound is fantastic,don't think i'll be removing the baffle either,might try it someday though for the craic!

Performance wise i notice a big difference,the bike is reving far better and theres a big difference in mid range power,money well spent, also got a nice mint cake with the can!!

Ride safe
    pedro
    pedro
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by pedro Fri 11 Nov 2011, 5:38 am

Hi broc11,

Glad you're pleased with your new can.

I agree with everything you said.The engine seems a lot happier with the new can.

Now you've sorted out the breathing at one end how's about putting a K and N air filter at the other end??

Keep safe.
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

Post by broc11 Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:05 am

Hi pedro, took the baffle out today,great rip of her, not much law around here so i'll leave it out for a while,

does the kn filter make much difference and would the bike need re tuning after its fitted?
    pedro
    pedro
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by pedro Wed 16 Nov 2011, 4:26 am

Hello Broc11,

Fitted mine about 5/6 years ago , seem to remember feeling that there was an improvement, but not as signifcant as that provided by the end can.The biggest improvement must be running the two together but I have never run the bike with the Fuel can and a OE air filter.

Never had to re-jet , the engine seems happy and the plugs have always been the right colour. As other people have said on this forum Hondas' run rich straight out of the box.

Cheers
    broc11
    broc11
    Rossi
    Rossi

End Can From Fuel Exhausts Empty thanks

Post by broc11 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:16 pm

Hi Pedro,

I just went with the standard air filter,fitted new plugs,oil and filter and with the new can the bike is going perfect,

I'm going to fit an osram nightbreaker plus bulb,I have been reading that they give much better light,just wonder if you have any tips on removing the existing bulb and fitting the new one,I have the S model so there isnt much room to get at the bulb,

thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 8:46 pm