CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

Decisions.... decisions! CBF vs CB500s

greyhoundbloke
    greyhoundbloke
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Decisions.... decisions!  CBF vs CB500s Empty Decisions.... decisions! CBF vs CB500s

Post by greyhoundbloke Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

Aye, its a tough one; have a 2000 plate Cb500 and looking for something a bit 'fresher' (as well as just the fun of buying a bike.) Looking at a tidy 5 yr old CBF 500 and a similarly clean 10yr old CB500S; anybody out there with distinct rants or raves about these models.
    James_chivers
    James_chivers
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Decisions.... decisions!  CBF vs CB500s Empty Re: Decisions.... decisions! CBF vs CB500s

Post by James_chivers Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:16 pm

Well I have a 2000 reg CB500s. I really enjoy it as a bike and ride. I think it feels quite different to the fully naked CB500. I think the half fairing helps with comfort at higher speeds as well as reduces buffeting and noise. It also give a different feel as the fairing doesn't move with the front of the bike like on the naked version and this can feel strange for someone that only used to naked bikes.

The CBF500 replaced the CB500 as the CB was not Euro 3 compliant which seems to relate to emissions. So maybe a CB500s would be a better purchase than a CBF500 if you want something different. They were manufactured until 2003 so you could get one newer than your 2000.
    oldenuff
    oldenuff
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Decisions.... decisions!  CBF vs CB500s Empty Try the CB500S

Post by oldenuff Fri 12 Aug 2011, 8:28 pm

I agree with James. The 500S is a different animal. It is still a lot of fun but a bit less exposed to buffeting and the elements. I do a lot of riding on B roads - it is an hour's ride to a road with a 70 limit - and the twin's throttle response is just the job. When I do get a chance to open it up the bikini fairing makes it a lot easier to maintain a reasonable (or unreasonable) speed.
    ScouseMick
    ScouseMick
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Decisions.... decisions!  CBF vs CB500s Empty Re: Decisions.... decisions! CBF vs CB500s

Post by ScouseMick Sun 14 Aug 2011, 1:55 pm

Hope it's not too cheeky to ask, but what are the prices of the bikes?

I got my 2003 CB500 (not the S model, though) from Scotland for £950 with 12500 on the clock. My local Honda garage in Belfast had a lovely 2007 CBF500 but wanted £3000 for it. Prices are quite high over here for second hand models.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 6:19 pm