CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2 posters

Carb syncing

toffeeroffles
    toffeeroffles
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Carb syncing Empty Carb syncing

Post by toffeeroffles Sun 14 Apr 2013, 10:37 pm

Hey all

Just wondered what rpm range you guys sync your carbs at. Idling at tick over or at a specified revs?

I synced mine from idle the other day and I'm not sure if it feels better (smoother) or not. They was out by one increment on my cheapo (round dial type) type gauges. They tended to drift out of sync slightly as I blip the throttle then setlle at idle in sync again. If I hold 3-4k rpm they go out of sync.

I'm going to have another look tomorrow, got a mate popping round to take a look too.

Should I sync at idle speed or sync from 4k rpm?

The Haynes manual says tick over but they could be wrong. They also mention that valve clearances should be checked. Could my symptoms mentioned above be caused by worn clearances on the inlet valves?

Thanks
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Carb syncing Empty Re: Carb syncing

Post by geewhizz Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:42 am

i did mine last week at around 2000 or 2500rpm i think. I was also out by approx >2 cmHg measured with the morgan carbtune. I got it leveled out exactly and for the next few days of riding i was convinced the engine ran a lot smoother with a lot less vibration in the mid range. The engine also seemed happy idling down below 1000rpm.

My next mission is valve clearances...

Current date/time is Wed 16 Oct 2024, 10:34 pm