CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

running rough

stitchwort

running rough Empty running rough

Post by stitchwort Sat 01 Mar 2014, 2:08 pm

OK I'm on the way home with my shopping .  and suddenly my 30,000 mile standard bike sounds like it's about to go on reserve , not cutting out but missing , but only at low revs.....close the throttle and tickover , which is usually at about 1500 creeps up to 3000 and stays there... temperature normal    wind it on and it picks up and rides like it should but as soon as you want to slow it to sub 30 mph speeds, it starts playing up again sounds like a carb related issue but would welcome any previous experiences
    HomeBrew
    HomeBrew
    the 900
    the 900

running rough Empty Re: running rough

Post by HomeBrew Sat 01 Mar 2014, 7:19 pm

It could be an undercharged battery, mine was backfiring and missing once because the battery was no good. Riding around with with the headlights off to charge it solved the problem. 

Did you leave the choke on by mistake? That might explain the high idle revs.

Other things to check/replace spark plugs and air filter. 

BTW this is the wrong bit of the forum maybe someone will move it.
    Zacstan93
    Zacstan93
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Zacstan93 Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:22 pm

as homebrew said and also check for it sucking in air had this problem a few times with previous bikes, could also be a coil problem but start with the cheapest and go from their is my normal routine 

cheers zac
    stitchwort

Post by stitchwort Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm

ok, i'll look at the colour of the plugs
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:45 pm

I moved this to the 'general' forum...

Anyway, I would check the easy things first - as mentioned the choke is easy to leave on and sometimes gets stuck, so check the choke plate on the carbs moves in synch with the lever on the handlebars.

Battery is also easy to check and/or charge, thought I doubt this is the cause.

It is also worth giving your air filter a clean, just in case.

If you don't mind making a little mess, get something like GT85 or WD-40 and spray it around the carb rubbers when the bike is idling - if the idle speed increases then there is a crack in the rubbers and they need replacing.

Lastly it is worth having a play with the idle speed adjustment (yellow knob between rear of carbs), just in case it has got knocked to the wrong setting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Oct 2024, 12:30 am