CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+5
birdyboy
ratty-midlands
Dan Bee
strummerjones
ali_lee
9 posters

k&n filters

ali_lee
    ali_lee
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

k&n filters Empty k&n filters

Post by ali_lee Sat 13 Nov 2010, 7:48 pm

just fitted the K&N high flow air filter (£31.06) and oil filter, (£7.65)

air filter-
    instantly noticed a difference in throttle response and a slight difference in induction noise. sadly cant compare things like mpg and performance as I'm just new to the bike and. but just for the fact it will last the length of the bike now with only needing a clean at the service intervals, I'd say it's a must.

oil filter-
    not much to say about an oil filter. but it brags alot on the packaging and you can actually feel the quality in it just holding it. the "pre lubed seal" stops the need to dunk you'r finger in the oil you just drained to smear some on the seal, and the 17mm hex head on the end for sticking a spanner on is a god send! and the oil pressure light goes out before the engine even starts too!
    strummerjones
    strummerjones
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

k&n filters Empty Re: k&n filters

Post by strummerjones Sat 05 Feb 2011, 7:01 pm

I fitted a K n N air filter awhile back and yes it improves performance alot.
    Not fitted a oil filter though.
    Dan Bee
    Dan Bee
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Dan Bee Mon 07 Feb 2011, 10:53 am

If you fit the K&N is a rejet kit not needed after? u not get exhaust popping n inconsistent revving?

Post by Guest Mon 07 Feb 2011, 12:27 pm

Dan Bee wrote:If you fit the K&N is a rejet kit not needed after? u not get exhaust popping n inconsistent revving?

I can't say I noticed any wierdness when I fitted mine.
    Dan Bee
    Dan Bee
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Dan Bee Mon 07 Feb 2011, 12:39 pm

You've aftermarket can too? Would of thought air/fuel mix be lean from it suckin alotta air through that filter... Im gettin the K&N to go with my can but also the dynojet stage1 as been told it will be needed.

Post by Guest Mon 07 Feb 2011, 1:17 pm

Yes I've got a Laser stainless system fitted. It farts and pops a little bit occasionally when I back off the throttle but nothing serious. As it happens I do have a dynojet kit to fit as well but as everything is working fine I haven't fitted it yet.
    Plugs still look fine and fuel economy is very good!
    Dan Bee
    Dan Bee
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Dan Bee Mon 07 Feb 2011, 1:24 pm

Mine does the same,unburnt fuel bein sucked through too soon cos of the open can...Watch the difference if you fit that kit. It will be smoother n well just better. It cant do anything you wont be able to reverse. Ill get mine done in next couple months anyway n let you know.

Post by Guest Tue 08 Feb 2011, 9:51 am

Hey, mine pops and bangs with a semi-legal exhaust and just the standard air filter!

As for dynojet kits, I fitted one to an SRAD gixxer with an open can (that I'd been running for over a year on standard jetting) and it ballsed it up something terrible! So I took it to a tuning shop with a dyno and they took the 'specially tapered' dynojet needles out and put the standard gixxer ones back in. All I ended up using out of the kit was the main jets.

So before wasting money on a dyno jet kit, if your bike is running lean just pop down the local bike shop and pick up a couple of main jets in the next larger size for a few pounds.
    Dan Bee
    Dan Bee
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Dan Bee Tue 08 Feb 2011, 11:16 am

The reviews on the dynojet kit for cb500 seem ok...i live in cyprus n gettin stuff brought out by family as its not easy 2 get hold of here....Anyway ill see. Gettin it fitted by the local mechanic n wont be doin it my self as you must make alot of records ets while u fit it n aint got the time.

Post by Guest Tue 08 Feb 2011, 5:39 pm

Dan Bee wrote:The reviews on the dynojet kit for cb500 seem ok...i live in cyprus n gettin stuff brought out by family as its not easy 2 get hold of here....Anyway ill see. Gettin it fitted by the local mechanic n wont be doin it my self as you must make alot of records ets while u fit it n aint got the time.
    All I mean is you would probably get it mostly sorted by changing the main jets. The dynojet may (or may not) improve it further but that's serious money (and very labour intensive!)
    Dan Bee
    Dan Bee
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Dan Bee Wed 09 Feb 2011, 2:02 pm

its 80 euro...not really huge money mate.

Post by Guest Wed 09 Feb 2011, 6:19 pm

Dan Bee wrote:its 80 euro...not really huge money mate.
    only about 75 euros more than 2 main jets then Razz
    plus fitting / dyno time?
    ratty-midlands
    ratty-midlands

Post by ratty-midlands Thu 10 Feb 2011, 12:16 am

stuck a micon end can on mine [got not for road use on it] it pops ,m8 told me 2 get it dyno.but had it on for 12 mths,its load as hell.just ease of the throttle when i see pc blod.
    birdyboy
    birdyboy
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by birdyboy Fri 11 Feb 2011, 8:19 pm

Does plod actively stop and check sound levels? Do they have noise level testers for roadside checks? Never seen it happen (yet).
    Dan Bee
    Dan Bee
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by Dan Bee Fri 18 Feb 2011, 8:36 pm

Got my dyno jet kit fitted+K&N filter+iridiam plugs= nice smooth power like a new bike soo well worth it. starts better much better throttle response, a nicer sound, gear changes very very smooth and all round just better! Recommended by me for sure... Very Happy
    hayden
    hayden
    the 900
    the 900

Post by hayden Wed 13 Apr 2011, 8:14 pm

birdyboy wrote:Does plod actively stop and check sound levels? Do they have noise level testers for roadside checks? Never seen it happen (yet).

This is a good point, I mean how the hell are you meant to know how loud your bike is.
    The reason for the reply is, I recently had my Triumph MOTed ( at a Honda dealer.!.) it has an open Remus pipe on it that forgot to put the baffle in the night before, and it passed no problem, even though to me it seems loud enough to make sure I travel under 3K revs through towns.
    But then it was never going to be a problem un be known to me, as they never even started the bike!
    I`am glad it passed, but with a noise limited trackday approaching in the near future I`am still not entirely sure I can go.. Rolling Eyes
    Basil Moss
    Basil Moss
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Basil Moss Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:09 pm

I just ordered a K&N air filter, then saw this thread and various others suggesting that it might need a rejet to prevent it running too lean - is this generally the case? Should I be concerned that it might damage my bike running too lean, or should I just chuck it in and see how it goes?
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 16 Sep 2013, 1:10 pm

Just chuck it in and see what happens!

If you are really concerned you need to spend the money on a dyno run at some place with an exhaust gas analyser (assuming they know how to use it).  This will be expensive.

I suspect that there is enough 'margin' built into the fueling that if it runs OK, then it probably is.  Just don't blame when it goes horribly wrong Wink
    frosty
    frosty

k&n filters Empty cx 500 K&N air filter

Post by frosty Mon 23 Sep 2013, 8:57 pm

i have brought and fitted a cx500 K&N air filter, it was an easy fit, had to trim 3mm of the rubber edge, its about 5mm shorter so i just pack this out with a bit of foam, the filter was £20.68p from motorcycle road & race, it was an easy job, as for the jetting when i get time I might put in  125 main jets and maybe lift the needle or shim it as there is a slight hesitant spot around 3.5k. But apart from that, it’s running nice, might even get a few more mpg to it
    frosty

Last edited by teamster1975 on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change font colour, black text on blackish background not good!)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024, 9:28 am