CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

Little CB did well today

jchesshyre
    jchesshyre
    the 900
    the 900

Little CB did well today Empty Little CB did well today

Post by jchesshyre Tue 22 Jul 2014, 12:38 pm

I know, I know, racing cars is silly, but I pulled up at some lights on a national speed limit dual carriageway and at the front of the queue was a youngish bloke in a Mercedes C43 AMG – how the hell was I supposed to resist?

Anyway he went for it so I did too. At the end of second gear I glanced in my mirror and he was about three car lengths behind, but after this I pulled away marginally but couldn't shake him. We got to some more lights and the same thing happened. I turned off later down a small bendy road that I know quite well after I'd overtaken a few slow cars and pootled along to see if he'd follow. He did and I saw the telltale flaring headlights of a big lumbering car accelerating behind me so off I went again. I'm pleased to say I left him far behind and no limbs were broken. 

I wonder if his car was in stock (albeit well kept) condition. Looking up those cars I see that they supposedly put out 302bhp and 0-60 in 5.7s. This sounds about right based on the amount by which I got ahead of him in the drag race.

It's times like these that I wish I had a much faster bike, then I remember that his car, roughly the same age as my bike, probably cost him several thousand and does about 25mpg at best, and furthermore that if I had something quicker I'd ultimately enjoy it less overall than my excellent CB and might well end up hurting myself.

When I can afford it though I would like something with unnecessary power in the garage as well, although maybe by then my need for such thrills will have diminished...probably not though.

If this had been one of the new C63s I'd have been smoked, for sure.

Last edited by jchesshyre on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Little CB did well today Empty Re: Little CB did well today

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 22 Jul 2014, 12:45 pm

...his car, roughly the same age as my bike, probably cost him several thousand and does about 25mpg at best, and furthermore that if I had something quicker I'd ultimately enjoy it less overall than my excellent CB and might well end up hurting myself.

which is exactly why the cb500 is great!
    jchesshyre
    jchesshyre
    the 900
    the 900

Post by jchesshyre Tue 22 Jul 2014, 3:28 pm

That said, and I know this has been discussed before, is there a bike, new or old, that shares the CB500's simplicity etc. and ideally a twin, but with 70-80bhp? Sometimes I sort of wish Honda had brought out a CB750 twin at the same time as the CB500...
    HomeBrew
    HomeBrew
    the 900
    the 900

Post by HomeBrew Tue 22 Jul 2014, 4:33 pm

Nice job on the drag race!
    SV650s are meant to be good handling and have 69 bhp, marginally more powerful.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Tue 22 Jul 2014, 7:11 pm

jchesshyre wrote:That said, and I know this has been discussed before, is there a bike, new or old, that shares the CB500's simplicity etc. and ideally a twin, but with 70-80bhp?

The Kawasaki GPZ500 gave the CB500 a run for it's money and the ER6-F sounds like the same only better.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Tue 22 Jul 2014, 8:46 pm

jchesshyre wrote:I know, I know, racing cars is silly..
    Why is that silly?
    I like to do that too, and I think it's quite fun Smile

Look, you just smoked an AMG Merc, wielding nothing but a simple workhorse bike. You're not silly - you're a hero Smile Or, alternatively, the AMG driver is a twat.

A little fun is okay in my book, as long as you observe common sense and omit putting other people at risk.

What I don't like is eg this: Today I went to a vintage autojumble, held in a public area. Some twat brought his Hayabusa, and opted to demonstrate its ability to accelerate - amongst pedestrians, slowly moving cars and whatnot. Now that's silly!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 6:57 pm