CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+3
Dext37
badseeds
trevor machine
7 posters

sidi couriers

trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

sidi couriers Empty sidi couriers

Post by trevor machine Tue 19 Aug 2014, 9:01 am

Thinking of getting a pair of Sidi Couriers? Look tough don't they, what with them metal cleats at the front of the sole, and lots of buckles on, etc. etc.

Trials style road boot from Rome. Or Sardinia. 

Verdict - no feel. They don't supple up much, so that stiffness you're feeling when you try them on in Infinity - prior to actually buying them off amazon - that's not going to go anywhere. Not really. All that will happen is that you'll adjust to it. But the reality that the couriers have as much flexibility as a dutch clog remains.

Also, if you DO actually go off road with them, the odd buckle will get snatched by even the weediest of nettles. And of course you won't notice until you get home. Whereupon you will search eBay and find a replacement one is a fiver.

Finally - good boots well made, quite water proof. But not for me. I need something that feels less like "gear". The more 'normal' I feel, the more focused I can be, the longer my concentration lasts, and so the better I ride.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

sidi couriers Empty Re: sidi couriers

Post by badseeds Tue 19 Aug 2014, 8:09 pm

What size hoofs are you? I fancy some couriers. I've always preferred off-road boots and currently wear ultra-rare Sidi Joel Robert replicas. They do take some getting used to, but if you do big miles yu'll get used to 'em fairly sharpish.
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Tue 19 Aug 2014, 8:19 pm

10? yeah 10.

Might go out on the lanes tomorrow - see if I like 'em a bit more.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Tue 19 Aug 2014, 8:32 pm

Well, what a co-inky-dink! My plates are 10s an' all. If you still don't like 'em, I may be interested in buying 'em and saving the Joel Roberts from the daily grind. I'm on my second pair of Alpinestars Tech 4s; as waterproof as a tea bag, but supremely comfy, like an old pair of slippers. These last ones need pensioning off after 7 years. Courier's might be the way to go.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Tue 19 Aug 2014, 9:35 pm

Hi,
    I've a set of couriers that are I reckon 8 years or more old, wear 'em every ride. Good solid things that don't seem to wear out that fast and look suitably worn in now. Agreed the feel isn't as good as more road based boots but I've not found it a problem. I go up farm tracks on the bike quite often and for putting a solid boot down when needs must they are fine. Not so good for sports bike riding as they aren't too flexible, as you'd expect.
    Overall, pretty happy with 'em.

m1
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Wed 20 Aug 2014, 4:22 am

What I would say is that with those steel cleats on the front of the sole you do have to be careful of *how* you put a foot down, sometimes. There is absolutely zero grip with that steel, and if for whatever reason you've dabbed down, toe first, be prepared for it feeling like ice. It's unlikely to lead to anything truly unpleasant, but...stranger things have happened. And on a taller bike...

Also, a second potential negative of the cleaty efforts is extra wear on casings. Yeah it *can* be a case of metal on metal sometimes. With the crm I don't care - not least because it's already got a fair amount of ahem 'patina' as they say in Classic Bike, but also it's a trailie fgs. It damn well needs some scrapes and dings. However, the 500 is a whole other kettle of ball games.
    Dext37
    Dext37
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by Dext37 Wed 20 Aug 2014, 12:37 pm

Try the TCX Infinity (not wp), or TCX X-Desert Gtex.

Remember, the Sidi Courier is not waterproof, the Sidi Adventure is Gtex.
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Wed 20 Aug 2014, 11:59 pm

I've been using sidi black rain? for the past two years, very comfy and waterproof, understated design. I've ragged the toe end a little grinding them thought low corners and the soles don't last long but otherwise really happy. They do a similar version with a toe slider and goretex for a few pennies more which will likely be my next boot. Might be worth a look.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Thu 21 Aug 2014, 6:26 pm

geewhizz wrote:I've been using sidi black rain? for the past two years, very comfy and waterproof, understated design. I've ragged the toe end a little grinding them thought low corners and the soles don't last long but otherwise really happy. They do a similar version with a toe slider and goretex for a few pennies more which will likely be my next boot. Might be worth a look.

I too have been using Sidi Black Rain (Evo) boots and have also worn the toes away a wee bit. I'll keep an eye out for these new 'uns.
    Dext37
    Dext37
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by Dext37 Fri 22 Aug 2014, 9:29 am

geewhizz wrote:I've been using sidi black rain? for the past two years, very comfy and waterproof, understated design. I've ragged the toe end a little grinding them thought low corners and the soles don't last long but otherwise really happy. They do a similar version with a toe slider and goretex for a few pennies more which will likely be my next boot. Might be worth a look.

The Black Rain's are a brilliant set of boots, always sell well at about the £175 mark. The Sidi B2 Gtex boots (toe sliders) are truly amazing value for money or what they are, £225 - a superb bit of kit, a true all rounder.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Sun 05 Oct 2014, 8:09 pm

I saw a pair of derry boots in a charity shop yesterday in good condition my size too wish I had bought them now scratch
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Sun 05 Oct 2014, 8:17 pm

i glued these over the worn bits on my blackrains. looks the part and fits nicely. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIDI-ST-VERTIGO-COBRA-B2-NYLON-REPLACEMENT-TOE-SLIDERS-RACE-BOOT-SCUFF-PAD-/381003841326?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Boots&var=&hash=item58b5993f2e
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Mon 19 Jan 2015, 2:35 pm

Hi,
    and back to this ol' thread...

I broke one of the three straps on my couriers and these little plastic things with their metal toggle  are proving hard to get hold of. Anyone know where I can get one?

Also, the velcro panel at the calf of the boots has given up, think it'll be new boots this summer...

muttley1
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Sat 07 Feb 2015, 8:29 pm

And more...

I got in touch with Sidi Uk in the end, they don't sell the (evo) straps now, so unless someone on ebay has a stockpile that's that. Decent boots useless for want of a £5 repair, not impressed.

muttley1
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Sat 07 Feb 2015, 8:51 pm

Hi muttley have a look on fleabay I think its a firm selling straps for couriers
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Sat 07 Feb 2015, 10:51 pm

That's a real shame about the Couriers. I've been wearing Alpinestars Tech 4s for the last 12 years and never had any problems with 3 pairs. I also had a pair of Sidi Joel Robert replicas and again, no issues. I think it's a bit shite of Sidi not to be able to source a spare strap as a goodwill gesture.
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Sun 08 Feb 2015, 1:35 am

well sometimes with these firms as soon as they get their paws on your hard earned that's it, and its like they say we all know what goodwill is worth Neutral
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Thu 12 Feb 2015, 8:08 pm

Hi,
    yep, the straps on ebay don't fit (that would be far to easy) and the Sidi and Feridax staff weren't blindingly helpful about aftermarket suppliers. Not too impressed with them to be honest. I'll keep looking on fleabay.

muttley1
    skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyrider Thu 12 Feb 2015, 8:52 pm

Looks like sidi don't deserve your custom I would look elsewhere in future
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Fri 13 Feb 2015, 9:19 am

Louis.de have a couple sidi straps listed. Would either of those fit?
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 1:51 pm

Afraid not! Ta for looking though.

muttley1
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Thu 07 May 2015, 8:18 pm

Found strap on ebay which proports to fit couriers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024, 5:21 pm