CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

Bike magazines save our 60's protest ride

Shadow_Alex
    Shadow_Alex

Bike magazines save our 60's protest ride Empty Bike magazines save our 60's protest ride

Post by Shadow_Alex Thu 27 May 2010, 8:27 pm

anyone seen this in bike magazine?

Its from peterborough on the 6th june in protest of all those government scrotes lowering all of our twisty b-roads to 50mph.

Now i know if your out for a blast on the twisties then your not likely to stick to the limit (except me officer!) but at least when its a 60mph and mr plod jumps out of the hedge with his radar you have an extra 10mph to aim for with your brakes clamped on and the back end squirming!

I am probably not going to be able to make it myself as it is a fair journey just to get to the start line but i know there are alot of you in the northampton area which is not that far off that may like to go.

I'll just have to protest down here!
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Bike magazines save our 60's protest ride Empty Re: Bike magazines save our 60's protest ride

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 28 May 2010, 9:19 am

I have seen this is practice. I live in Cambridgeshire near the Essex border and I have seen some roads in both Cambs and Essex that were previously 60 (with 50 sections at some junctions) become 50 for their entire length.

I can't disagree with you about the not sticking to the limit, most people don't :) but I would like to make a more practical point:

60 is only 10mph less than 70 (which is the national speed limit on dual carrigeways etc), so you can use a national-speed limit road to travel at only 10mph less than a dual carrigeway (assuming no traffic delays etc), making A and B roads a relativly practical way of travelling around the country for those who choose to use them or who cannot/should not use motorways/dual carriageways.

If the national speed limit was reduced to 50 (which is what is happening stealthily btw) A and B roads become less practical to use, as journeys using them take 1/6 extra amount of time (so a three-hour journey at 60 would take three-and-a-half hours at 50 - sorry about the bad maths!), essentially making road transport outside of the motorway/trunk road network less attractive.

If less people are using A/B/other roads then there is less will to spend money on maintaining them and less people will notice if they are left to crumble; I am not trying to start a conspiracy theory, but just pointing out that government at all levels has a vested interest in reducing the use of minor roads and hence reducing the amount of money they have to spend on them.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Bike magazines save our 60's protest ride Empty Re: Bike magazines save our 60's protest ride

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 28 May 2010, 9:20 am

oh yes, more importantly, where was the meet? (I don't get Bike magazine....)
    Shadow_Alex
    Shadow_Alex

Post by Shadow_Alex Fri 28 May 2010, 8:15 pm

The rideout starts at Bike headquarters and the adress is,

Bike
    Media House,
    Lynch Wood,
    Peterborough
    PE2 6EA.

Leave at 10am and here is a link to the route:

Route

You have a very good point with people starting to avoid A&B roads which in the short term is good for us as we will have all these new roads almost free of cars! that is until, as you say, they crumble and start to fall apart!
    SandyZoo

Post by SandyZoo Tue 01 Jun 2010, 1:18 pm

I live nearby, and could easily make it if there are a few others from the forum going?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:15 pm