CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2 posters

Have you tried Michelin Pilot Activ?

Have you tried Michelin Pilot Activ? Empty Have you tried Michelin Pilot Activ?

Post by Guest Fri 18 Feb 2011, 7:28 pm

I don't fancy BT45's again. Pilot Activ are about 5 quid more per tyre which is neither here or there.

Wet grip and resistance to going out of shape are most important.

I'm sure someone on the old forum has used these before but I can't find the post anymore.

Globetrotter
    Globetrotter
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Have you tried Michelin Pilot Activ? Empty Re: Have you tried Michelin Pilot Activ?

Post by Globetrotter Sat 19 Feb 2011, 5:06 pm

I have just bought a set of these and I think they are great. I have done about 300miles and riden in wet (very very wet), damp (slightly icy) and dry conditions during my daily commute.

Granted, I don't push it like I'm on a track day or try to get my knee down, but I feel comfortable and confident when riding... I do lean the bike over a fair way and am really happy at the grip levels.

Plus, the dual rubber compound should mean getting more miles out of the tyres too.

I paid £71 for the front and £78 for the back - fitted and ballanced - although I did take the wheels off and drive them in the car to the tyre-depot...

Would recommend Pilot Activ's.

Hope this info helps

Regards

G-T

Have you tried Michelin Pilot Activ? Empty Re: Have you tried Michelin Pilot Activ?

Post by Guest Sun 20 Feb 2011, 10:03 am

Thanks for the write up G-T. As long they're decent in the wet I'll be happy. And. like most tyres, I am sure they are much better than me on a dry road!

Lets hope they don't go out of shape so quick like the bridgestones Smile

Globetrotter
    Globetrotter
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by Globetrotter Sun 20 Feb 2011, 10:54 am

Kungfoopoodle,

Mr previous tyres were Metzlers, they were on the bike when I bought it.. They had gone egg shaped... Shame coz loads of tread on them, but sent Vibes (almost like death wobbles) through the bars when riding...

If my understanding is correct, Metzler are the only tyre with steel cabling frame - thus they shouldnt distort...

I think most tyres will go out of shape if a) you dont ride the bike much and leave it standing or b) skid thus creating uneven tread wear...

Either way - I am happy with the Pilots and Michelin are one of the top tyre brands...

Regards

G-T

Post by Guest Sun 20 Feb 2011, 12:06 pm

I mean squaring off through normal use. While inevitable I rather hope tyre tech. continues to advance the BT45, while grippy, is a bit long in the tooth now.
    Globetrotter
    Globetrotter
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by Globetrotter Tue 22 Feb 2011, 2:04 pm

Hi again kungfupoodle,

Conditions today are what Jezza Clarkson may call 'midly damp' and the back end of the CB was all over the place...
    A few times I unintentionally locked up the back wheel due to stooooopid car drivers changing lane without indication and the back end tried to step out.
    Under moderate acceleration (in 4th gear to overtake on duel carriageway) the tail was snaking left and right...

Made my bum squeak a bit to be honest...

Not sure if this is because the CB is light, or its the harder compund of the Michelin tyres...

Does anyone else experience this on any other tyre - BT's for example???

If you use your bike daily, would recommend you consider this advice... However, in the dry - they are fab!!!

Regards

G-T

Post by Guest Tue 22 Feb 2011, 7:04 pm

Thanks for the update G-T. That's not good news. It's supposed to be pouring down tomorrow, maybe you can see what they're like in full wet? Very Happy

I don't have any trouble with the BT's accelerating in a straight line. Although the BT's feel horrible in corners in the wet at the moment due to their worn out shape.

The only time I've had the symptoms you describe is in rain immediately after a hot spell when the roads are greasy - the back end spinning up at the slightest provocation.

Maybe they take a long time to warm up?

Post by Guest Tue 22 Feb 2011, 7:20 pm

I run Pirelli Sport Demon's on mine, I've found they're a very good all round tyre. Been using them for a few years now, no brown trouser moments touch wood!
    http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/browser/attachments/pdf/PIRELLI_FULL_07.pdf

Post by Guest Wed 23 Feb 2011, 7:51 pm

thanks teamster.

I followed up on the demons and while they're very grippy in wet and dry they seem to be prone to squaring off so probably not brill for commuting.

now I just wish there was a decent place around here to get some tyres!
    hayden
    hayden
    the 900
    the 900

Post by hayden Wed 23 Feb 2011, 8:36 pm

I too have had the rear end lock up under braking ( not too hard either) currently running Continentals with plenty of grip etc.

I think untill the roads have had a good prolonged downpour on, then its hard to judge tyre performance as there is so much residue left over still from the gritting here, the aditives in the grit/salt ( including Molasus!) leave a greasy film on the road which the rain finds tough to shift.

The point is, even the gripiest of tyres are going to struggle against grease so its hard to compare like for like untill the roads are clean.

Cheers H

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 12 May 2024, 12:05 pm