CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+6
Oafski
liverpool_f_
ANDYC
Fair Weather Rider
hh_12345
fgclark123
10 posters

Will the CB500 ever be a "classic" bike?

fgclark123
    fgclark123
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

Will the CB500 ever be a "classic" bike? Empty Will the CB500 ever be a "classic" bike?

Post by fgclark123 Sun 07 Jan 2018, 11:06 pm

Just wondering. You have the old Nortons, Ariels, british bikes, CZs, MZs, etc etc - can you ever see a day when the CB will be tinkered with by enthusiasts, whilst their grandchildren zip around on electric hover bikes??

That's another point - when internal combustion engines are outlawed in 2040, where the heck will enthusiasts get petrol for their hobby vehicles?? Start stock-piling?
    hh_12345
    hh_12345
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Will the CB500 ever be a "classic" bike? Empty Re: Will the CB500 ever be a "classic" bike?

Post by hh_12345 Mon 08 Jan 2018, 9:42 am

No doubt it would be a classic, but no one would ever notice, as this motorcycle has a lack of appeal like no other. It so unnoticeable that I sometimes I forget that I own one.

I think some level of attractiveness is needed for an object to become a "classic" and the cb has little of it. I don't think it is ugly, on the contrary, I admire the design and find it original. But even an ugly bike like the suzuki sv 650 is more attractive and likely to be a "classic" bike.

Laughing
    Fair Weather Rider
    Fair Weather Rider
    the 900
    the 900

Will the CB500 ever be a "classic" bike? Empty Re: Will the CB500 ever be a "classic" bike?

Post by Fair Weather Rider Mon 08 Jan 2018, 10:48 am

hh_12345 wrote:No doubt it would be a classic, but no one would ever notice, as this motorcycle has a lack of appeal like no other. It so unnoticeable that I sometimes I forget that I own one.

I think some level of attractiveness is needed for an object to become a "classic" and the cb has little of it. I don't think it is ugly, on the contrary, I admire the design and find it original. But even an ugly bike like the suzuki sv 650 is more attractive and likely to be a "classic" bike.

Laughing

I disagree, I think the CB is a lovely looking bike, I admire mine quite often, the simplicity and functionality of I find endearing, can't help myself I'm in love, definitely think it deserves to be a classic. Very Happy
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Mon 08 Jan 2018, 11:13 am

It depends very much on your taste. 
    I prefer the trusty Labrador type that does as he's told rather than the groomed tarted up poodle type that yaps and tries to bite everything it sees.
    liverpool_f_
    liverpool_f_
    the 900
    the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ Mon 08 Jan 2018, 12:14 pm

Definitely will. Everything becomes a classic in time. Can you think of any motorcycle from the 60’s that is not now considered a classic? Regardless of how good, bad or ugly it was at the time. Also i think the 90’s is one of the golden ages of bikes. They all still retained the old technology of carbs, no abs, traction control, no ecu other than ignition control etc yet all it its most refined form. Humble commuters like the cb can still outrun a ferrari 348 in a quarter mile. 

Also, Hondas of this era were miles ahead of the pack in terms of quality, which counts in the Cbs favour
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Mon 08 Jan 2018, 3:45 pm

liverpool_f_ wrote:Definitely will. Everything becomes a classic in time. Can you think of any motorcycle from the 60’s that is not now considered a classic? Regardless of how good, bad or ugly it was at the time. Also i think the 90’s is one of the golden ages of bikes. They all still retained the old technology of carbs, no abs, traction control, no ecu other than ignition control etc yet all it its most refined form. Humble commuters like the cb can still outrun a ferrari 348 in a quarter mile. 

Also, Hondas of this era were miles ahead of the pack in terms of quality, which counts in the Cbs favour
    Spot on!
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Mon 08 Jan 2018, 4:33 pm

I think cb wil be classic bike...as all old bikes are... but i think it be jap built ones will go for money. Just like 92 blades do now.. the race series and fact that engine unburstable... has many  well used examples on roads means there be very few clean examples left...cb has no frills and built to a price... my 21k cb500s look good from distance...but italian built bikes are not best quality...even my dad taught cb was resprayed and it on its original paint as paint isnt great... engine and handling are very good...its build quality isnt... build quality of my 96 fireblade...is world apart from both my cbs... then again it was probbably 3 times the price new then... cb like marmite...u either like it or i dont..i think its very good bike for what it is. Look at c90's now getting expensive to buy in ireland...are they classic ...yes/no... they were designed to be cheap transport.. and to be run into the ground and come back for more...that what makes a classic bike. For me..20yrs on used every day and not treated like a toy
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Mon 08 Jan 2018, 4:36 pm

wornsprokets wrote:I think cb wil be classic bike...as all old bikes are... but i think it be jap built ones will go for money. Just like 92 blades do now.. the race series and fact that engine unburstable... has many  well used examples on roads means there be very few clean examples left...cb has no frills and built to a price... my 21k cb500s look good from distance...but italian built bikes are not best quality...even my dad taught cb was resprayed and it on its original paint as paint isnt great... engine and handling are very good...its build quality isnt... build quality of my 96 fireblade...is world apart from both my cbs... then again it was probbably 3 times the price new then... cb like marmite...u either like it or u dont..i think its very good bike for what it is. Look at c90's now getting expensive to buy in ireland...are they classic ...yes/no... they were designed to be cheap transport.. and to be run into the ground and come back for more...that what makes a classic bike. For me..21yrs old bike used every day and not treated like a toy
    davecb5002
    davecb5002
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by davecb5002 Mon 08 Jan 2018, 7:20 pm

I think in time the CB500S will be a classic, getting fewer about and not many for sale. I am on my second one, first was still going strong with 90K on when I sold it, believe still going.
    The present one with 30K looks as good as new, but only used for pleasure.
    As for build quality, not bad, but not as good as many Hondas. I have aVFR, last of the carb models,build quality on that is great, all finishing looks as new if looked after.
    With the CB500 race series, which is very popular,hope that keeps going is very competative to watch
    considering they are not that different from our road machines,with race tyres. Classic in the making Very Happy
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Mon 08 Jan 2018, 9:03 pm

Yes, in my experience people call anything that survives a 'classic'. Enough CB500 were made that some will survive intact and relatively unscathed. They will be the classics.

You only have to see the 'silly' end of the prices on ebay to conclude that if you want a minter you'll have to shell out the dosh. In fact, if you are the kind of person that wants a CB500 'to keep forever' I'd say you should buy a good looking/original/all there one right now and start fixing it up.

The good thing is that we know the the engine is up for plenty of miles, so you don't have to worry about getting a high-mileage one!
    Stevie Gimo
    Stevie Gimo
    Godly
    Godly

Post by Stevie Gimo Fri 02 Feb 2018, 11:06 am

Already is.....
    Say's so on my insurance  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 12 May 2024, 9:43 am