CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 12 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by skyerae Sat 14 Jul 2018, 5:36 pm

All bits replaced with nothing broken, removed chromed engine bolt hole covers to find it beautiful and clean inside. Slathered bolt head and thread and nut in silicone grease and replaced covers. Tensioned chain and sprayed Plusgas on seized front engine bolt. Must do this weekly and it might break loose over the winter service and repair session. Then inside to sort out World War 3 between the kids (as per usual  Mad)
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 12 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by TheWizardofOdds Sat 14 Jul 2018, 7:18 pm

trevor machine wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    trevor machine wrote:On a lot of roads 50mph is holding up traffic.
    Or me doing 30 to 40 mph in a 60 going to work at 5 am today. Deer. Bloody things should be culled here. Again, a big bugger ran out in front of me this morning. At least the drivers know why you're going that slow at that time.

they're numerous round here too - and yes, I become actively fearful when riding during twilit hours

I hit one in the car year before last - doing about 60

I felt terrible - but also thankful that I hadn't been on bike
    Heheh.  Don't feel too bad...A couple of weeks ago coming back from work around dusk ish and was stupidly tailing a car for extra illumination at about 60 mph. I spotted a deer running just after the car passed and knew I was in trouble, they're  always in twos. Right enough, the first one passed and the second went right into my side . I stuck my boot out and kicked it, sorry old boy!, and stayed upright. I've never shouted a victory so loud on the bike.  Thought I was down. I think the deer was ok but cannot believe I stayed up so think it might ve been an Ickle un.
    skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyerae Sat 14 Jul 2018, 7:52 pm

Then after World War 3 was sorted I decided to (once again) free off the rear brake pivot which was seizing up. That was a long job as I had to use excessive force to get the brake shaft out of the bush it  pivots in as it seized in place when I was driving it out. I finished this all off with freeing off the bolt that hold on the silencer which had seized on. All sorted now and ready to continue racking up the miles until winter rolls around (hopefully)
    motofan
    motofan
    Running out of unique names

Post by motofan Mon 16 Jul 2018, 3:06 pm

Likkle ride to Flers (about 30kms away) to purchase a shower waste connector for the new tray I'm fitting. Trying to take all the lirrle scenic & twiddly roads 'cos I'm only supposed to do 80kph (50 mph, pathetic isn't it?) for my own good! Doesn't work though I still average more'n that as I think there's less chance of getting a speeding fine on the smaller roads though 'cos the police won't set up a speed trap somewhere where there's only one car every 20mins!. Still enjoyable but too 'ot!
    wrighty
    wrighty

Post by wrighty Tue 17 Jul 2018, 2:29 pm

Decided new can on project was just too loud, so, following advice from that font of all knowledge  (YouTube), took out the removeable baffle (was surprised to find its only 2 inches long) wrapped it tightly in loft insulation, secured with lock wire, popped it back in and......voila Rodney, nice and quiet on tickover and subtly blarty with revs. Purfick!
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Fri 20 Jul 2018, 2:58 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    trevor machine wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    trevor machine wrote:On a lot of roads 50mph is holding up traffic.
    Or me doing 30 to 40 mph in a 60 going to work at 5 am today. Deer. Bloody things should be culled here. Again, a big bugger ran out in front of me this morning. At least the drivers know why you're going that slow at that time.

they're numerous round here too - and yes, I become actively fearful when riding during twilit hours

I hit one in the car year before last - doing about 60

I felt terrible - but also thankful that I hadn't been on bike
    Heheh.  Don't feel too bad...A couple of weeks ago coming back from work around dusk ish and was stupidly tailing a car for extra illumination at about 60 mph. I spotted a deer running just after the car passed and knew I was in trouble, they're  always in twos. Right enough, the first one passed and the second went right into my side . I stuck my boot out and kicked it, sorry old boy!, and stayed upright. I've never shouted a victory so loud on the bike.  Thought I was down. I think the deer was ok but cannot believe I stayed up so think it might ve been an Ickle un.

Whoah - nice going there. Dunno how you did it tbh. 

MENACING VENISON!!!
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sun 22 Jul 2018, 4:33 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:443miles done so far and another 302 left to do. 8 hour stint done. 2 hours on the ferry then another 5 and a half hours home. I'll be lucky if I get home though.. Problems at 50 60 70 80 90 and 100mph.... When I open the throttle its as if you're hitting the kill switch... great whilst overtaking

Jameshambleton wrote:Ok so... I think I found my issue, my valves were about 0.10mm and 0.08mm out of spec on both the exhaust and the intake side of the bike all 8 valves.

Hopefully my issue was in fact tight valves and not the carbs but I shall see later on this evening once I get her fired up What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 12 737901405

Bike still runs poorly but 1-4k now runs ok.... won't rev past 6k now but got most things fixed for the MOT tomorrow.

Finally diagnosed it today after a second set of carbs came from Fair Weather Rider my issue was the same. Right stick coil has had enough, can pull it off at idle and it makes no difference, pull the left one and the engine dies. Really hope my replacement coils get here before Armoy races next weekend.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 22 Jul 2018, 4:53 pm

If you are in NI and stuck for a bike next weekend, you can use mine James. I'll be at Kirkistown on the Tiger on Saturday, so the CB will be resting in Holywood.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sun 22 Jul 2018, 5:06 pm

Beresford wrote:If you are in NI and stuck for a bike next weekend, you can use mine James. I'll be at Kirkistown on the Tiger on Saturday, so the CB will be resting in Holywood.

It's much appreciated, I've got an insurance policy starting on the vfr in a few days which covers me to ride other bikes 3rd party so might take you up on the offer, even if it is to give your bike a bit of a spanking Twisted Evil Think I could clock up a good 300 miles in 2 days should I wish to Wink
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sun 22 Jul 2018, 7:28 pm

Today, with the help of a selection of radiators (and fans) bought from Fair Weather Rider, my old buggered radiator, some cunning bodgery and a few pop-rivets I managed get my bike going again.

Essentially I 'fixed' some broken brackets on the radiator from FWR and eventually managed to get it onto my bike.  Best of all my bodge-ing hadn't made it leak!  So I gave the bike a good flush with some fresh water and filled it will coolant.

Best thing is that after my quick 10 mile ride the radiator was still attached and no part of me was covered in coolant (unlike before)!
    sullivj
    the 900
    the 900

Post by sullivj Sun 22 Jul 2018, 7:35 pm

100mph in fourth gear!
    GollyGosh
    GollyGosh
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by GollyGosh Sun 22 Jul 2018, 7:56 pm

sullivj wrote:100mph in fourth gear!

Obviously you ran out of runway at the airfield before getting into 5th.  cough! cough!

BTW has anyone tried to match the alleged 1/4 mile in 13.2 secs?
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Mon 23 Jul 2018, 1:29 am

went to Founders Day at Stamford Hall. lots of old bikes to look at and actually got some good comments about my bike. wandered around the auto jumble hoping to find bits for my other two hondas but all I saw was parts for British machines
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:40 pm

GollyGosh wrote:

Obviously you ran out of runway at the airfield before getting into 5th.  cough! cough!

Sounds like a plan for me and @beresford to try one day after my coils are sorted
    Llewelyn1965
    Llewelyn1965
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 Mon 23 Jul 2018, 10:42 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:
    GollyGosh wrote:

Sounds like a plan for me and @beresford to try one day after my coils are sorted
    I didn't think that was possible. I'm sure I only just made it over the ton in top!!! Maybe mines not running as well as it should. :-(
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Mon 23 Jul 2018, 10:51 pm

Llewelyn1965 wrote:
    Jameshambleton wrote:
    GollyGosh wrote:

I didn't think that was possible. I'm sure I only just made it over the ton in top!!! Maybe mines not running as well as it should. :-(

Mine clocks 110 on the regularly on the dial... 110mph in 402 meters does seem rather steep though
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Mon 23 Jul 2018, 11:20 pm

Isnt gearing different on you cb james... different sproket... sure felt different from my two cb...s
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 24 Jul 2018, 9:41 am

wornsprokets wrote:Isnt gearing different on you cb james... different sproket... sure felt different from my two cb...s
    15-42
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 24 Jul 2018, 10:02 am

Also my replacement coils came today cheers
    skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

Post by skyerae Tue 24 Jul 2018, 5:18 pm

Jameshambleton, out of interest what coils did you go for? I am going to replace mine as well, did you get new ones or breakers parts? This is in a bid to make a dead CB alive again, as it will run if it feels like it, but most times plays dead....
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 24 Jul 2018, 9:40 pm

Cbr600 f4i as they're the same as the 954 coils that I was running though.... changing the coil that I thought was faulty hasn't resolved the issue fully so back to the drawing board...
    Different coils, different carbs, replaced the airbox rubbers, the valve clearances are looser than they started off with, the plugs are only 5k old
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Tue 24 Jul 2018, 11:18 pm

I have coils and connectors available.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 31 Jul 2018, 5:37 pm

My bike ended up doing a really weird wheelie, went up with bad bearings and came down with good bearings

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 12 Y4mPCrsD5QdKqklQtxpPK6b7-o1PgwH90mPhZo4NbneJGvYMO_QqdueJFZ3ddol_aJKLDc2KKs6J2_7KsdnjciikGaqL94HKaEtB-N_IvXluIHBApWmkR_wOX7dJe7YUJdXK2xxRSIfGYllF8AFHg8h2UOCofc7CLc6DAkKGkWbK2hp78dRKHcWbTknVSVCBF5KIz_LEvK2WCgSlRp9oF3hxQ?width=575&height=1024&cropmode=none
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Fri 10 Aug 2018, 10:19 pm

Came back from a good little road trip around the Iberian Peninsula, 4700km of fun through France, Spain and Portugal hunting for the twisty roads, 10 days were just too short!

The bike performed flawlessly, real joy in the twisties even carrying 30+kg of gear.

Odometer has completed its first revolution too Wink
    skyerae
    skyerae
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 12 Empty COP upgrade

Post by skyerae Mon 13 Aug 2018, 8:37 pm

Carried out this upgrade as part of fault finding mission this weekend. I had it jury rigged and then found the fault on the pulser coil wiring. Wired it up correctly this evening, soldered the connections and heat shrunk the connections and cable tied into position. Still started until I pushed the pulser coil connector into position. Then it wouldn't start again so checked connector. Unless the connector is pushed totally home (and the securing clip is very slack) the one connector doesn't make the circuit. Pushed it home and left it as it is - at least if it cuts out I know what the issue is and will solder the connections instead. The CB now start instantaneously rather than a few revolutions (about 3) before firing into life. Will see how she is tomorrow and how the fuel economy is altered (if at all) over the next few weeks. New plugs also fitted as part of the fault finding so part service carried out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 7:48 pm