CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+3
stormbringer
motofan
wornsprokets
7 posters

Led volt meter

wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Led volt meter Empty Led volt meter

Post by wornsprokets Sat 09 Jun 2018, 4:14 pm

I got a led voltmeter for cb 500 to keep an eye on bikes voltage...as i got it from china which circuit be best to tap into for this..as i said in recent post i am not great with bike wiring...also no fuse holder with meter either...all advice appreciated.
    motofan
    motofan
    Running out of unique names
    Running out of unique names

Led volt meter Empty Re: Led volt meter

Post by motofan Sat 09 Jun 2018, 5:06 pm

Battery terminals. Connect elsewhere should give same reading but if there's a big drop could indicate bad connections or bad earth.
    Happy LEDing! Dave
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Sat 09 Jun 2018, 7:16 pm

Got me one of these to do that particular job. Doubles as a fake alarm LED. Hooked it up to one of the wires leaving the fusebox which had constant power. Try to get as close to the battery as you can, but make sure you're hooking on to a wire after one of the fuses. When you hook into the circuit, my advice would be to avoid those crappy click-on 'current thieves' (translated from danish). Solder + 3M Scotch 23 self bonding tape works best!
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sat 09 Jun 2018, 9:30 pm

Led volt meter Sam_2915
    This is a clock/voltmeter I'm using on the Tiger. I'm quite pleased with it and have ordered another for the CB500S as it fits in neatly on top of the dash below the screen.

I got a flying cigar socket at the same time, as I made the mistake of cutting the cigar plug off a previous gauge only to find that the wires were so thin, wiring them into the bike was very difficult. I have connected the heavier wires from the flying socket  to the battery negative and to the switched power feed to the rear brake switch as it is easily accessible.
    stoney!
    stoney!
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by stoney! Sun 10 Jun 2018, 10:54 am

my friends and I all bought 99p cheapo volt meters for our trip to Romania and back last year, wired them straight into the sidelight circuit and they worked well.

It was a good job we did as 2 bikes had reg/rec failures on the trip both sorted before anything nasty happened as we were pre warned by the volt meters.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 12 Jun 2018, 7:58 pm

If you are just wanting to monitor the voltage then tapping in to something low-current like the sidelight is fine - the voltage drop won't be much as the sidelight doesn't draw much current, plus it is already fused and switched.  It will certainly give you a good indication if your reg/rec dies or your battery isn't charging etc.

Those things are normally called 'Scotchlocks' in english (look here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotch-Lock-Snap-Connectors-Electrical/dp/B00B4QFNT2) - yes, they are the work of the devil. Don't use them.  The only possible use I have for them is for roadside repairs (for which they are actually quite good - you don't need a soldering iron to fit them and they are mainly self-insulating). Not for permanent use.

If you want *really* accurate battery voltage then, yes, connect straight to the battery, but if you do this make sure you use a fuse and suitably thick cabling (or your reading might not be correct) and calibrate the cheapo meter against a known good voltmeter.  Quite a few of the 'ebay specials' have trim pot to adjust the voltage reading...
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:23 pm

Draw power from the front sidelight with a relay and then run the voltmeter from the relay lesser voltage drop unless you just measure from the battery and run a manual switch on the bars and just take into account the resistance of the switch for the voltage drop

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 3:09 pm