CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+2
birdyboy
madmax
6 posters

madmax
    madmax

Newbie Empty Newbie

Post by madmax Tue 24 May 2011, 9:26 pm

Hello there,

Thought I better introduce myself. I passed my full bike test doing a 5 day course way back in 1995, but soon after i had to give up my job so i never got round to buying myself a bike.

Over the years I would go through phases of contemplating getting one, but going no further than it being a thought.

this time being doing some research rather than just daydreaming. Initially thought best to stick to 125cc or 250cc seeing as I be less than a beginner and insurance wise etc. But I am planning on using the bike for some motorway commuting just over 100miles round trip least 2-3times a week. So therefore maybe better off with slightly larger engine.

Researching highlighted suzuki SV650? as reviews say good allrounder and light handles well for novices. but then looking into honda cbf600 which lead me to the older cb500. Good reviews, reliable and can eat up the miles, cheap insurance.

So hopfully a CB500 its going to be. Most cb500 I've seen for sale are way down south in Sunny England.

Did come across a few an hour or so drive away from me starting from £300 upwards.

I did see one that mentioned a years MOT and Tax 1998 sports model with 41000miles asking for £750 that sound alright for mileage covered?

The fact that it had MOT and Tax draws me to it, it may already be gone as the advert was posted 20days ago. Thinking as it being a first bike and also having to go out get the clothing helmet etc not wanting to spend too much.

what sort of ball park figure would insurance be for a 36 year old for one of this?

Here was me only going to introduce myself as well.

Newbie Empty Re: Newbie

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2011, 9:38 pm

Welcome in Max! Very Happy
    You can't go wrong with the CB, it's a very forgiving bike but when you're used to it you can have lots of fun! Twisted Evil
    41K miles for a '98 bike is nothing, mine's a '97 and I've done 76K with no problems touch wood!
    I am 35, my renewal fully comp was £140 this year with 9 years no claims, this was with Bennetts.
    birdyboy
    birdyboy
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by birdyboy Tue 24 May 2011, 9:42 pm

Welcome to the CB500 Club forum. Best advice is to use a website like go compare or similar, enter your details and this'll give you a cost for insurance, then you can save the quotes, change things like bike value or excess etc and see what it does to your quote. Hope you get one - you will not be unhappy - they are a great all-rounder. Given the mileage you intend to cover I'd suggest you go for the CB500S just so you can get a little wind protection - otherwise a GIVI universal screen can be fitted. Happy hunting and let us know what you end up getting.
    Globetrotter
    Globetrotter
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by Globetrotter Tue 24 May 2011, 10:15 pm

Hiya, and Welcome to the club.
    I am 32, been riding for 3 years (I did my 5 day DAS when I was 29 as wanted to achieve it before I hit the big 3 0 ) and I have 2 years no claim as had an 'off' 3 months after passing my test due to some twat pulling out of a side-road without looking (and drove off)...but we won't go there!!! Also, I am running have 2 bikes so I insure them on a Multi-Bike policy... However, I did research into the CB500 to see how much my 'daily hack' would cost on its own policy, and with 2yrs no claims it was a surprising £80 fully comp for 10k mileage per year, garaged overnight etc etc etc....

In other words... they are cheap as chips.... And as Teamster says above, they are very forgiving when you are learning and when you are used to it, they are great fun too...!

Fuel wise, about 180-200miles per tank (18L). Tyres - I use Michelin Pilot Active which have a dual compound rubber so good for daily hack and long distance motorways as the harder rubber doesn't square off yet the sofet rubber on the edges give good grip... Cost, about £145-155 a pair fitted and last about 6k-ish so I am told...I'm still on my 1st set and clocked up 3k so far and NO SQUARING AT ALL!!!!!

Tax is cheap as under a 600cc

Mine is a 1996 P plate and had 17700 on clock and I payed slightly over the odds as bought through a dealer at £1100.. but I did manage to get my Fork Seals done under warranty - so that more than covered the difference Wink
    Typically, good bikes with 20k ish are about £850-£950 and imaculate examples are above the £1000mark - but these will be in almost imaculate condition and it depends whether you want a 'good condition hack' that you don't mind leaving out in the rain or whether you want an imaculate machine that you'll end up not using on a wet day to avoid spoiling the state of the bike!
    I've heard of CB5's racking up almost 100k and the frame of the bike has given up before the engine, so reliability really is not a problem!

Good choice for a no nonsense cheap commuter and will last you for quite a while... If you can't find a CB500, then you could consider a CBF500 which is the CB5's replacement...same engine/frame/gearbox - just a few cosmetic tweeks and fairing etc....but CBF500's are a weee bit more expensive.

Cheers

G-T
    davetheworv
    davetheworv
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv Wed 25 May 2011, 7:40 pm

my insurance as a newbie aged 56 was 150 with footman james and that includes breakdown cover and unlimited miles. yes they are good honest bikes
    Foggie15
    Foggie15
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Foggie15 Wed 25 May 2011, 9:22 pm

Hi and welcome from one newbie to another, i'm 39, no no claims, £102 fully comp, Hastings Direct, but i did pass my test 20 years ago, so actually not really comparable but worth a phone call, Try www.thebikeinsurer.com cheapest prices guaranteed. hope this helps, good luck with the bike search.
    Stormy
    Stormy
    Four's a...something...
    Four's a...something...

Awesome!

Post by Stormy Wed 25 May 2011, 10:09 pm

My insurance seems high at £200, as a new rider of advancing years, but I did hope it would come down when I'd passed my test. I think living in East London, which to insurers seems criminal capitol of the world has probably bumped mine up. Love my cb500, and definately very forgiving, had a few hello tarmac/hedge/pavement situations and he still comes up good as!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 4:53 pm