CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

cb500

joe mc donald
    joe mc donald
    Running out of unique names

cb500  Empty cb500

Post by joe mc donald Tue 27 Jul 2021, 7:29 pm

Peeps I now have a spare cb500 with 7 thou miles. Just wondering if I break it can I make any money atall on it. The faring is pretty poor with cracks and broken tags. the rolling chassis has a nice DHL reg and gold wheels the electrics seem good and every thing works. The forks have some corrosion but the travel area is good. Please let me know is it worth breaking or should I try to get the bits and build it into a road bike again without the fairing.
                   Joe

joe mc donald likes this post

Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

cb500  Empty Re: cb500

Post by Rob the dog Wed 28 Jul 2021, 11:27 am

Build it back, the world needs more cb500’s on the road…..

joe mc donald and cheesepiece1 like this post

Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Wed 28 Jul 2021, 3:04 pm

With such low mileage you would have thought that it was worth it to get it back on the road Smile

joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

cb500  Empty in progress of thought

Post by joe mc donald Thu 29 Jul 2021, 9:05 am

Rob the dog wrote:Build it back, the world needs more cb500’s on the road…..

Rob the dog
    Thanks for that. Yes it is a nice bike and sounds really sweet one carb needs tuning. But it is finding the bits these days. I am sure you have seen how long i searched for a tank for my 500 and the only one i got was as bad.
                Joe

joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

cb500  Empty thinking about what to do

Post by joe mc donald Thu 29 Jul 2021, 9:10 am

Al1040 wrote:With such low mileage you would have thought that it was worth it to get it back on the road Smile

Al1040
    Again it is finding bits. I searched for ages for a tank and in the end purchased this one just for the tank. But i may end up keeping it if no one is interested.
                             Joe.

Al1040
    Al1040

Post by Al1040 Thu 29 Jul 2021, 9:46 am

Can't disagree with you on that one Joe, esp as they are getting a little long in the tooth!
    A ready spares pool might just be the job then as you have said finding the parts is becoming tricky, so there should be a reasonable market for them?
    I may need a few bits once I get hold of the old mans bike and start its restoration (thankfully should not need a tank,fingers crossed).

joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

Post by joe mc donald Thu 29 Jul 2021, 11:35 am

Al1040 wrote:Can't disagree with you on that one Joe, esp as they are getting a little long in the tooth!
    A ready spares pool might just be the job then as you have said finding the parts is becoming tricky, so there should be a reasonable market for them?
    I may need a few bits once I get hold of the old mans bike and start its restoration (thankfully should not need a tank,fingers crossed).

Al1040
    Thanks for that. I am told by just about everyone that the tank over flow breaking is very rear and almost unheard of. I was just a tad unlucky. But sure if you let me know later and I have the bike and decide to break then we can talk.
                       Joe.

Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Fri 30 Jul 2021, 9:13 am

If you do decide to break it, I would be interested in the indicators if their original ones and undamaged.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sat 31 Jul 2021, 12:01 am

You might be able to make some money if you break it, but there will be a fair bit of work involved (not necessarily with the dismantling, but all the ebay selling/posting etc that is required to get rid of all the bits) so it might not work out well in a £-per-hour type way.

So, personally, I wouldn't break it unless you really need the money (as others have said it is better keeping it on the road).

Assuming you don't fancy keeping it for spares, then you might as well get it go well (even if the cosmetics are somewhat challenged), get it legally on the road and sell it to someone who wants it - if ebay is to be believed then even the ugly ones sell well.

cheesepiece1 likes this post

joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

Post by joe mc donald Sun 01 Aug 2021, 1:11 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:You might be able to make some money if you break it, but there will be a fair bit of work involved (not necessarily with the dismantling, but all the ebay selling/posting etc that is required to get rid of all the bits) so it might not work out well in a £-per-hour type way.

So, personally, I wouldn't break it unless you really need the money (as others have said it is better keeping it on the road).

Assuming you don't fancy keeping it for spares, then you might as well get it go well (even if the cosmetics are somewhat challenged), get it legally on the road and sell it to someone who wants it - if ebay is to be believed then even the ugly ones sell well.

eternally_troubled.
    I would love to keep it bit don't have the space to store it. And there are people out there that can do this great bike justice. It was well kept at one time.
                    Joe
    joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

Post by joe mc donald Sun 01 Aug 2021, 1:13 pm

Rob the dog wrote:If you do decide to break it, I would be interested in the indicators if their original ones and undamaged.

Rob the dog
    Yes will keep that in mind
                  Joe.

Rob the dog likes this post

joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

cb500  Empty Thanks Mate

Post by joe mc donald Sun 01 Aug 2021, 1:17 pm

Rob the dog wrote:Build it back, the world needs more cb500’s on the road…..

Just have not got the time
                    Joe
    joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

Post by joe mc donald Sun 01 Aug 2021, 1:18 pm

Al1040 wrote:With such low mileage you would have thought that it was worth it to get it back on the road Smile

Yes it's a job for someone who has the time and passion.
                     Joe
    joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

cb500  Empty Don't do Ebay

Post by joe mc donald Sun 01 Aug 2021, 1:25 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:You might be able to make some money if you break it, but there will be a fair bit of work involved (not necessarily with the dismantling, but all the ebay selling/posting etc that is required to get rid of all the bits) so it might not work out well in a £-per-hour type way.

Used to do eBay till i sold a set of engine cases for a T140E to a creep in Glasgow. He sent eBay some pictures of damaged cases which i believe were his own  he wouldn't show the crank numbers and eBay would not check  he refused to return them even if i paid and eBay backed him with the aid of PayPal I lost my cases and my money so its the last time they will do that to me.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 03 Aug 2021, 10:59 am

If you don't do ebay then it might take you even longer to get rid of the bits Smile So it's probably best to try and sell it.

You said you haven' t the space to do it up. Does it actually go at all?

If you can get it to the point where it will get to the MOT place 'under its own steam' (and get an MOT) then it will be worth (I reckon) about x1.5 or x2 what it is worth without one... don't worry at all about anything other than getting it there are passing the test - the cosmetics can be sorted by the next owner - if you have to gaffer tape (or cable tie) things on then so be it.
    Rob the dog
    Rob the dog
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by Rob the dog Tue 03 Aug 2021, 1:08 pm

Where would we be without cable ties….. surely one of the best ever inventions known to man
    joe mc donald
    joe mc donald

cb500  Empty Cb500

Post by joe mc donald Tue 03 Aug 2021, 6:47 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:If you don't do ebay then it might take you even longer to get rid of the bits Smile  So it's probably best to try and sell it.

You said you haven' t the space to do it up.  Does it actually go at all?

If you can get it to the point where it will get to the MOT place 'under its own steam' (and get an MOT) then it will be worth (I reckon) about x1.5 or x2 what it is worth without one...  don't worry at all about anything other than getting it there are passing the test - the cosmetics can be sorted by the next owner - if you have to gaffer tape (or cable tie) things on then so be it.

Eternally Troubled.
    Yes it runs really sweet and has mot till mid 2022. All in all it is a nice bike and was well kept once and not to long ago.
                    Joe.

eternally_troubled likes this post

cheesepiece1
    cheesepiece1

Post by cheesepiece1 Wed 04 Aug 2021, 12:36 am

If you were anywhere near to me I'd be all over this. I'd say advertised at your asking price on the local tree of gum you will get plenty of interest and without much further ado a buyer at the price you've offered here to members, at least.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 04 Aug 2021, 10:27 am

joe mc donald wrote:
    eternally_troubled wrote:If you don't do ebay then it might take you even longer to get rid of the bits Smile  So it's probably best to try and sell it.

You said you haven' t the space to do it up.  Does it actually go at all?

If you can get it to the point where it will get to the MOT place 'under its own steam' (and get an MOT) then it will be worth (I reckon) about x1.5 or x2 what it is worth without one...  don't worry at all about anything other than getting it there are passing the test - the cosmetics can be sorted by the next owner - if you have to gaffer tape (or cable tie) things on then so be it.

Eternally Troubled.
    Yes it runs really sweet and has mot till mid 2022. All in all it is a nice bike and was well kept once and not to long ago.
                    Joe.

I've seen the pictures (see the for sale section) - I don't think you'll have a problem selling it. The only snag is that, if you don't want to use ebay, you need to advertise it somewhere else - so that would be facebook marketplace (I don't like facebook, but lots of people do...) or gumtree (as someone else said).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 6:27 am