CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2 posters

[solved]Dead Temp Gauge (Problem solved)

Melitos
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

[solved]Dead Temp Gauge (Problem solved) Empty [solved]Dead Temp Gauge (Problem solved)

Post by Melitos Sat 23 Apr 2022, 12:58 pm

Hi all,

After winter hibernation I took my 95 CB back to the road the other day.

I then noticed that the temperature gauge needle did not move even the little bit it used to. In fact it seemed it was resting in the minimum position all the time. However the engine felt hot to touch so probably the thermostat was not stuck open. Some searching on this forum gave a hit on grounding problem but in that case several indicator / warning lights on the gauge cluster would be dead also. Can't be that since everything else works fine.

Following the guidance from Haynes manual I checked fuses, all good. Tank off then.

Check the coolant from filler cap, system is full so the temp sensor has something to measure. Check that the coolant temp sensor has ground contact. it does. Haynes says to ground the disconnected temp sensor wire shortly (with key ON) to see if the temp needle goes to max. No luck, needle stays at minimum position. This would indicate either broken gauge or wire. So then remove the headlight reflector unit. Check if signal reaches the connector inside headlight bucket. It does. This is getting interesting. Off with the gauge cluster then and open it up. Measuring continuity from connector to the base of the gauges, all good it seems.

With the gauge cluster opened I connected the wiring again and re-checked grounding the temp sensor wire with key ON - it almost looks like the gauge needle is trying to move like a fraction of a millimeter. Weird. So I then proceeded to try and move the needle carefully with my fingers. Indeed the axle of the needle was stuck and there was notable resistance before the needle moved, followed immediately by almost no resistance to movement at all. So the axle of the gauge needle had seized during the winter. I then proceeded to check again grounding the sensor wire - IT'S ALIVE! The needle moved towards red area and then backed down when ground connection was cut. 

Now with the temp gauge problem fixed I also cleaned the gauge glass from the inside. I had renewed all the light bulbs a few years ago but in case someone else is doing similar fix, it would be a good time to replace the bulbs.

So in case someone else faces a dead temp gauge but everything else on the gauge cluster is working and the engine gets hot to touch, you might have the same issue as I did.

cheesepiece1, Al1040 and panagiotis like this post

Melitos
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

[solved]Dead Temp Gauge (Problem solved) Empty Re: [solved]Dead Temp Gauge (Problem solved)

Post by Melitos Sat 23 Apr 2022, 2:49 pm

So I just got back from a test ride and it works. Very Happy Lazy cruising at chilly +8 °C weather raises the needle at the top of "C" sector in the gauge as usual.
    aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

[solved]Dead Temp Gauge (Problem solved) Empty Re: [solved]Dead Temp Gauge (Problem solved)

Post by aramis Tue 26 Apr 2022, 8:43 am

So, it turned out it was mechanical failure, not electrical... 
    Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 May 2024, 4:18 am