CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2 posters

Swingarm wanted (CB500R drum brake model)

dougxr
    dougxr
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Solved Swingarm wanted (CB500R drum brake model)

Post by dougxr Wed 23 Nov 2022, 12:07 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a replacement swingarm for my 1994/95 CB500R. I've seen a few swingarms on ebay etc. but all the ones I've seen are for the later disc brake model.

If anyone has one they'd be willing to sell then I'd be interested, please contact me either by replying to the topic or private message.

Are there any motorcycle breakers / dismantlers around any more? If anyone can suggest one that might be able to help then that would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking a look,

Adding a few alternative descriptions just to make sure that it shows up in any searches: swing-arm, swing arm, rear fork

Last edited by dougxr on Wed 23 Nov 2022, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding year of bike)
    dougxr
    dougxr
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Solved Re: Swingarm wanted (CB500R drum brake model)

Post by dougxr Fri 23 Dec 2022, 8:07 pm

My problem was solved! And not by throwing the bike away!

@aramis very kindly assisted by finding a swing-arm and shipping it to me. Fitted it straight away and went to get bike tested for an MOT certificate. Which it failed, but not on the swing-arm!

So, many thanks to @aramisfor their assistance with that and now I've just go a couple of jobs left to do to get the bike ready for another attempt at the MOT...
    aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Tue 27 Dec 2022, 6:48 am

I'm glad I could help. What was the MOT issue?
    dougxr
    dougxr
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by dougxr Wed 06 Sep 2023, 2:55 pm

aramis wrote:I'm glad I could help. What was the MOT issue?

Sorry, I didn't see the reply. Very rude considering how helpful you've been.

The new MOT problems were nothing too major but annoying.
    - Front brake hose bulging under pressure
    - Throttle not snapping shut
    - Rear brake pulsing
    - "Position lamp adversely affected by the operation of another lamp Front (headlamp affected by indicators & horn)"

The most awkward one was the rear brake pulsing because the drum had gone oval. Apparently water can sometimes get between the iron liner and the alloy of the wheel hub and the combined corrosion forces the liner inward a bit, locally. Or it might just have gone oval due to corrosion on the inside. Either way I managed to find someone who could machine it back to round for me.

Front brake hose bulging under pressure - Replace front brake hose. It was the original rubber one so it had lasted a while.
    Throttle not snapping shut - It wasn't that sticky but I should have picked up on this. Fitted new cables and everything was fine.
    "Position lamp adversely affected by the operation of another lamp Front (headlamp affected by indicators & horn)" - where I'd taken it to was a garage that only rarely does cars and they were concerned that the headlight flickered slightly when the indicators or horn were used. There is a statement in the MOT inspection guide that says motorcycles might need to be revved a bit to allow lamps to function properly (or words to that effect) and they hadn't been doing that, they'd just tried it with the engine off. When the bike was ready for re-test the original garage was shut so I took it to where I'd normally take it and they didn't see anything wrong with.

Of course the swing-arm was fine throughout!

aramis likes this post

aramis
    aramis
    Godly
    Godly

Post by aramis Wed 06 Sep 2023, 4:26 pm

No worries, I just assumed you were busy enough to miss my post. 

I'm glad the second MOT went better Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 12 May 2024, 4:14 am