CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

What does one have to give for a CB500 nowadays ?

RustBuster
    RustBuster

What does one have to give for a CB500 nowadays ? Empty What does one have to give for a CB500 nowadays ?

Post by RustBuster Thu 13 Apr 2023, 9:44 pm

Hello all

I'm considering purchasing another CB500, I had one a few years ago.

What does one have to give for a CB500 nowadays ?

I have been having a look around, there don't seem to be that many about, though my survey is certainly not extensive, mostly facebook and ebay so far, oh and gumtree.

There seem to be a variety of ranges of prices, some have been reduced.

I like fixing things, so I don't mind a project, even a non-runner, though of course the price has to reflect that.

I live near Portsmouth, so ideally something relatively local would be good, my experience of buying remote items via e.g. ebay and "taking a chance" haven't been very fruitful, though I appreciate that some people strike it lucky.

Also, if I can't find a CB500, I was starting to wonder about an SV650 (mk 1), or perhaps the old air-cooled Yamaha Diversion 600, if anyone would care to express any opinions / experience of those, or make any other CB500-substitute suggestions, they would be welcome / of interest.

Attractive as they are, I don't think that it would be sensible to get some 4-cylinder fire-breathing dragster type of thing, not least as I imagine that they will cost more to run etc.

Thanks

Best regards

RB
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

What does one have to give for a CB500 nowadays ? Empty Re: What does one have to give for a CB500 nowadays ?

Post by muttley1 Fri 14 Apr 2023, 2:47 pm

Hi, and welcome along. Cb prices seem to be all over the place and ebay always has a "project" cafe racer/whatonearthhavetheydonetothat bike, probably best avoided without a good lookover. I've found a couple of decent bikes on gumtree, here and local free-ads. Un-messed around with is the way to go and if the owner looks ok then the bike might well be if they've owned it for a while.

Also, I did have a "curvy" sv, the faired model and its a neat thing. Nose down riding position, knees high up and nice engine, with carbs. Unusually the radiator has to come out to change the front spark plug I recall.

muttley1
    burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

What does one have to give for a CB500 nowadays ? Empty Re: What does one have to give for a CB500 nowadays ?

Post by burudi Fri 14 Apr 2023, 6:05 pm

another CB500. For simplicity of only 2 cylinders and because they are parallel and not in V.
    All in favor of CB500.
    RustBuster
    RustBuster

Post by RustBuster Thu 27 Apr 2023, 9:26 pm

Hello Muttley1

Thank you for your reply, and the information, thanks also to Burudi.

Apologies for the delayed response, family crises etc.

What's the spares situation ? Is it worth considering a non-runner (i.e. are sufficient parts available at a reasonable cost to make fixing one up a realistic proposition) ?

Best regards

RB

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024, 12:49 pm