CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

Improved lighting

HakanNi
    HakanNi
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Improved lighting Empty Improved lighting

Post by HakanNi Fri 22 Sep 2023, 6:41 pm

The original lighting of CB500 isn't anything o boast about - it's quite risky in the night I'd argue. I'm using an Osram-Nightbreaker bulb now, which improved things but this can't be the end of the line. Previously, at least LEDs have been disgraced here at the forum, but that was quite a few years ago, and if I remember correctly that kit came from China - I got the best of vibes from them at my previous job at a major EU lorry manufacturer, but I'll never purchase off China via eBay or similar again. They've fooled me twice by now and that's at least once too many.

Is HID Xenon a solid solution for us and our CB500s? Any particular brand to recommend?
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Improved lighting Empty Re: Improved lighting

Post by ANDYC Sun 24 Sep 2023, 1:29 pm

Just fit two relays so the headlight receives a full 12v that it's designed for rather than whatever is left by the time it's gone via the switch. Take a look at the German wiring diagram in your manual and you'll see that they have them fitted. It makes a world of difference without any expensive bulbs.
    HakanNi
    HakanNi
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by HakanNi Sun 24 Sep 2023, 3:09 pm

The thing is, Andy, that I've got some 13.7V over the lamp and about the same - but not more than an additional 0.2V - over the battery via the regulator. What can a direct line do more?
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sun 24 Sep 2023, 4:39 pm

Maybe I should have said amperage. 🤔
    HakanNi
    HakanNi
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by HakanNi Mon 25 Sep 2023, 2:30 pm

Thanks Andy, mate, I'm with you there - should've known, it's a current issue. Gonna be looking up on this one. The Osram bulb isn't too bad, but - as I say - I'm gonna be checking the relay solution. Think the HID and LED route is non-legal.

Thank you kindly once more, I know about the help you provide here on the forum, and it's very appreciated  Smile
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Mon 25 Sep 2023, 3:25 pm

You're most welcome, that's the whole ethos of the forum 👍
    billybozo
    billybozo
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Post by billybozo Tue 26 Sep 2023, 5:34 pm

Why not just fit a H4 LED bulb , that's what I did , gives a superb spread of light on both high and low beam , why faff around with extra wiring and relays , two minute job changing a headlight bulb .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024, 8:13 am