CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+21
burudi
Beresford
Melitos
Crash- Elmit
smokingsig
haybunch
radicm
burudis
stormbringer
tt fan
Stevie Gimo
Jameshambleton
cebecero
Vardypeeps
ratatooie
bikermikey1
ANDYC
Navymike
badseeds
Basil Moss
G3o
25 posters

Coil upgrade

ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Coil upgrade Empty Coil upgrade

Post by ANDYC Wed 27 Nov 2013, 10:53 pm

I upgraded the coils on my CB500s a while back, 4 months ago to be specific and after 6000 miles I think that it can I can pass it on as a successful test.
    I decided to change from the ancient type of coil to the stick coil on plug type that modern sports bikes use. This in my mind eliminates a lot of connections which are potential failure points as these only require the 2 wires from the loom. Age is also a weak point with the conventional coils as the leads/plug caps degrade in time and so reduces the spark energy at the plug.
    The throttle pick up is a lot crisper since these were fitted and I am well impressed with the fuel economy too.
    The coils that I fitted came from a 2002/3 CBR954 fireblade, you also need the connectors so that you can neatly connect the 2 wires that originally go to the coils to, well yes the new coils. It was that easy, no messing about having to fabricate mounting brackets as with the dyna coils which I have used in the past.
    In fact I think the hardest part was removing the original coils/leads/bracket.
    They are longer than would be ideal so I will eventually get around to getting a piece of rubber to stop any crud getting into the plug area, but I've had no issues with it yet.
    So there you have it, a relatively cheap and easy upgrade that improves reliability, throttle response and efficiency. Although on saying that the efficiency bit will still depend on how you ride it!

Coil upgrade Empty Re: Coil upgrade

Post by Guest Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:53 am

Nice one Andy! To be honest mine is working well and I have a pair of coils in reserve should I ever need them but it's definitely worth knowing!
    G3o
    G3o
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by G3o Thu 28 Nov 2013, 8:32 pm

That is really cool, thanks a lot for that, i will following your lead on this while on my weight loss program!
    Basil Moss
    Basil Moss
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Basil Moss Fri 29 Nov 2013, 5:27 pm

Where could I get some of these coils? Feel a bout of upgradeitis coming on...
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Fri 29 Nov 2013, 9:31 pm

Basil Moss wrote:Where could I get some of these coils? Feel a bout of upgradeitis coming on...
    Strange as it may seem, but I noticed that the Fireblade that donated the coils and ignition loom to suit my needs actually had twice as many bits as I really needed.
    So I actually have a spare pair of coils with the connectors ready to fit.
    Basil Moss
    Basil Moss
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Basil Moss Sun 01 Dec 2013, 8:48 am

PM sent!
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Sun 01 Dec 2013, 5:47 pm

The CB500 engine basically half a 'Blade engine.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sun 01 Dec 2013, 6:57 pm

badseeds wrote:The CB500 engine basically half a 'Blade engine.
    To a degree yes, but there are many differences. I'm actually looking into the possibilities of a bigger bore using fireblade pistons. It really depends on the limitations of the cylinder wall thickness. The pistons measure up OK, when I get some time I hope to start a thread on the engine tuning. I am quite curious to see how far I can take it with the 500 engine and whether it's worth it?
    G3o
    G3o
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by G3o Sun 01 Dec 2013, 8:39 pm

ANDYC wrote:
    To a degree yes, but there are many differences. I'm actually looking into the possibilities of a bigger bore using fireblade pistons. It really depends on the limitations of the cylinder wall thickness. The pistons measure up OK, when I get some time I hope to start a thread on the engine tuning. I am quite curious to see how far I can take it with the 500 engine and whether it's worth it?
    Blade pistons will only make a difference if they have a tighter tolerance than the CB pistons (which they will) both in terms of weight, shape and size. So long as you get the piston/bore clearance correct you should see some gains. I have been looking at doing this for a while :]
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sun 01 Dec 2013, 9:22 pm

There are other differences like valve angle, deck height and the design of the whole piston with it being of the slipper type.
    The main improvements would be due to the larger bore un-shrouding the valve area allowing better gasflow, there would be a small increase in compression and the slipper type pistons create less friction on the cylinder walls. The standard fireblade pistons are about the same weight as the 500 ones although slightly larger and much stronger. These are cast pistons, there may be bigger differences in the forged ones available though.
    Navymike
    Navymike
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Navymike Sat 29 Mar 2014, 4:40 pm

Hi
    I have heard you have to match the resistance of the original coils did  you measure the stick coils andthis prove an issue or did you just replace them.

Mike
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 29 Mar 2014, 8:02 pm

Navymike wrote:Hi
    I have heard you have to match the resistance of the original coils did  you measure the stick coils andthis prove an issue or did you just replace them.

Mike

I just tried them and they work fine, I've done 18k on them now.
    When I fitted dyna coils many years back I questioned this issue and found that it made very little difference. I happily used 3 ohm coils on my FZR1000 even though 2.2ohms were the specified ones for yamaha models.
    Navymike
    Navymike
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Navymike Sun 14 Feb 2016, 3:08 pm

Hi

are you still running this coil setup, hows it going. I now have a set of stick coils that i was going to use and just wanted to see how yours were going before I bit the bullet. Did you just wire each one to each coil input or did you wire them in series.

Many thanks for your time 

Mike
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sun 14 Feb 2016, 5:41 pm

Still going strong Mike Very Happy about 45k since I fitted them now.
    I wired them up as the original coils were, which donor bike did you get them from?
    Navymike
    Navymike
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Navymike Sun 14 Feb 2016, 10:11 pm

Hi mine are from a vfr800 and have a primary resistance of 1.8 ohms, also where did you get your connectors for the coils from.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:00 pm

I bought an original harness from ebay for the fireblade 954 to suit the coils, or in your case the vfr800.
    They are probably the same connectors but it's not worth the risk of being wrong.
    bikermikey1
    bikermikey1
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 Thu 10 Nov 2016, 10:24 pm

G3o wrote:

ANDYC wrote:

Blade pistons will only make a difference if they have a tighter tolerance than the CB pistons (which they will) both in terms of weight, shape and size. So long as you get the piston/bore clearance correct you should see some gains. I have been looking at doing this for a while :]

hi guys

is there a topic about this? i want to know more! Smile 

mikey
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Thu 10 Nov 2016, 10:35 pm

Take a look at my track bike project thread Mikey.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Fri 11 Nov 2016, 4:59 pm

Just for the record this coil set up has now done 58k with no problems at all.
    ratatooie
    ratatooie
    Running out of unique names

Post by ratatooie Wed 16 Nov 2016, 12:01 pm

ANDYC wrote:Just for the record this coil set up has now done 58k with no problems at all.

Interesting read and mod! I am all about the efficiency and weight saving at the moment. 

Sorry for the thick question but what else do you need other than two of the four coils in this ebay listing (i.e. what do you mean when you mention "connectors" - is the CBR954 coil wiring loom needed)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-2003-Honda-CBR954rr-Ignition-Coil-Set-/152265493451?hash=item2373bb0bcb:g:Fj4AAOSwmLlX5pYS

Thanks!
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Wed 16 Nov 2016, 3:49 pm

It just makes the connections neater I guess, you may be able to get suitable connectors on their own but I took the easy route and soldered the fireblade connectors into my loom.
    Coil upgrade 00111
    ratatooie
    ratatooie

Post by ratatooie Wed 16 Nov 2016, 5:00 pm

ANDYC wrote:It just makes the connections neater I guess, you may be able to get suitable connectors on their own but I took the easy route and soldered the fireblade connectors into my loom.
    Coil upgrade 00111

That is so much cleaner looking! Thank you for getting back to me. I may try and source some of those connectors. 

(I think I recognise those Ramair filters from somewhere!)
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Wed 16 Nov 2016, 5:17 pm

I have some coils with connectors available if you're interested. I needed larger filters to suit the 38mm carbs, which explains the spare ones I had. Very Happy
    ratatooie
    ratatooie

Post by ratatooie Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:07 pm

Haha you are the man! OK great can you PM me price etc? Delivery to IoM. Cheers!
    Vardypeeps
    Vardypeeps
    Two Tone
    Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:20 pm

This is a brilliant little thread for upgrading the coils. Didn't realise they had started doing this with them built into the spark plug cap.

They also look better than I thought they might Smile

Any loom extending required or just chop, solder and heat shrink?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:46 pm