CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+15
stormbringer
tt fan
geewhizz
gillers50
Mad_Taffy_500
kevboot
Beresford
Engi57
Llewelyn1965
shropshirewildman
ashcroc
eternally_troubled
Jameshambleton
dado_dassler
ANDYC
19 posters

Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers

ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers Empty Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers

Post by ANDYC Wed 15 Jun 2016, 7:37 pm

I'm looking into making some stainless steel engine mounting bolts complete with alloy spacers.
    As mine are based on the faired 'S' model I don't have the bolts or spacer sizes for the naked models.
    Would one of you learned gentlemen be so good as to supply these sizes please. Thanks in advance guys.
    dado_dassler
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers Empty Re: Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers

Post by dado_dassler Thu 16 Jun 2016, 1:15 am

i can help you with the sizes for two of the bolts for the naked model as i have recently added crash bars to mine and needed longer bolts which i ordered from england (these bolts in case somebody might need engine mounting bolts in the future).

FRONT: M10X260
    UPPER REAR: M10X165

LOWER REAR: M10X270
    (according to the diagram but this one i haven't measured myself)
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers Empty Re: Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 16 Jun 2016, 1:58 pm

When I get home I can tell you the front engine spacer sizes as I've just had 2 NOS spacers come.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 17 Jun 2016, 10:56 am

I would tell you but my spacers are all crunchy and knackered, so not good examples!

Good work on getting this done.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 17 Jun 2016, 6:29 pm

27.58mm long 
    22mm diameter 
    10.5mm through hole
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Fri 17 Jun 2016, 7:30 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:27.58mm long 
    22mm diameter 
    10.5mm through hole

Thanks James, hopefully I can make a set over the weekend and get a photo up.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 18 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm

I have ordered some alloy bar rather than turn down a much larger diameter bar needlessly, and some shorter bolts for the rear upper mounting rather than shorten much longer ones.
    Here's a photo of what the longer bolts look like.(260 and 270)
    The thread is M10 x 1.5 rather than the 1.25 pitch that comes as standard on these, the reason is to keep costs down.
    The nuts are self locking.
    Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers 00111
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Sat 18 Jun 2016, 10:39 pm

Those look nice. Be sure to apply ample copper slip / anti sieze when fitting as stainless & allow have a habit of chemically bonding.
    shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by shropshirewildman Wed 22 Jun 2016, 8:22 pm

could someone measure the length of the lower rear spacer please, i had to cut mine in half to get the engine out, then discovered that it was unavailable from lings. many thanks
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Fri 01 Jul 2016, 1:53 pm

Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers 00211
    Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers 00411
    Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers 00311
    Stainless engine mounting bolts with alloy spacers, if anyone wants a set I can make them up to order.
    £30 posted
    Llewelyn1965
    Llewelyn1965
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 Fri 01 Jul 2016, 9:06 pm

are  these for the naked or the 's' Andy?
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Fri 01 Jul 2016, 9:29 pm

Llewelyn1965 wrote:are  these for the naked or the 's' Andy?

These are for the naked model, I can make them for the 'S' too.
    They would be £25 posted as they don't have the spacers on the front mounting.

I'm looking into making spacers from stainless steel as well as alloy, if there's enough interest.
    Llewelyn1965
    Llewelyn1965
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 Fri 01 Jul 2016, 9:48 pm

Hi Andy, I'll have a set of those for the naked model. Do you have paypal? pm me your details and I'll send a payment.
    Engi57
    Engi57
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Engi57 Fri 01 Jul 2016, 11:34 pm

Hi Andy, 

I had to drill out the front engine mount bolt on my CB500s when I repainted the engine. The bolt wasn't standard as it had some extra length to accommodate crash bars. I can't find a replacement of the same size anywhere and I was looking to have one made. 

Dims are:

M10,
    282mm long,
    40mm thread on each side.

Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in.

Many Thanks,
    Engi.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sun 03 Jul 2016, 6:24 pm

Engi57 wrote:Hi Andy, 

I had to drill out the front engine mount bolt on my CB500s when I repainted the engine. The bolt wasn't standard as it had some extra length to accommodate crash bars. I can't find a replacement of the same size anywhere and I was looking to have one made. 

Dims are:

M10,
    282mm long,
    40mm thread on each side.

Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in.

Many Thanks,
    Engi.

Hi,

I can make one for you, but why have both ends threaded?
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 03 Jul 2016, 8:25 pm

Andy
    PM sent
    ATB
    Mike
    kevboot
    kevboot
    Scratcher!
    Scratcher!

Stainless engine mounting bolts and alloy spacers Empty Bottom rear engine bolt

Post by kevboot Sun 03 Jul 2016, 10:55 pm

Recieved my lower rear engine bolt in stainless off Andy over the weekend.Quality spot on,better than the original.This will prevent future seizures of this bolt which,if you have removed your old one you will no theyre virtually impossible to get out without some serious hammer work.
    Mine was like a mushroom when id finished removing it.
    I would replace it as a matter of course with a stainless one if you remove your engine.
    Engi57
    Engi57
    Squiddy
    Squiddy

Post by Engi57 Mon 04 Jul 2016, 10:14 am

Hi Andy, both ends were threaded on the bold provided with the crash bars. It's easier to make but I'd have no problems with a headed bolt instead Cool . I'll PM you.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Wed 06 Jul 2016, 8:16 pm

Just an update for the guys that have ordered these from me.
    I'm waiting for new carbide tool bits hoping that I'll be able to get a better finish on the parts.
    They will be all ready to be posted out to on Saturday at the latest. Very Happy
    ashcroc
    ashcroc
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc Wed 06 Jul 2016, 9:47 pm

Engi57 wrote:Hi Andy, both ends were threaded on the bold provided with the crash bars. It's easier to make but I'd have no problems with a headed bolt instead Cool . I'll PM you.
    I think the renntec (& probably other engine bars with a cross piece) have a nut both ends to make removing them easier if needed for maintenance.

The OE Honda ones not only have a fixed head one end but surprisingly you're expected to reuse the original nut.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 08 Jul 2016, 8:28 am

ashcroc wrote:
    The OE Honda ones not only have a fixed head one end but surprisingly you're expected to reuse the original nut.

There can't be many out there where the original nut still exists once it has been removed from the bike...
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 09 Jul 2016, 2:13 pm

Llewelyn1965 wrote:Hi Andy, I'll have a set of those for the naked model. Do you have paypal? pm me your details and I'll send a payment.

Posted 1st class today Very Happy
    Llewelyn1965
    Llewelyn1965
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 Sat 09 Jul 2016, 2:35 pm

cheers
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 09 Jul 2016, 3:39 pm

Just to clarify things about fitting these bolts.
    They are made from A2-70 (18/8 or 304) stainless steel.
    All stainless steel bolts need lubrication on assembly, I use copperslip but oil will work fine.
    This is important as stainless steel is very prone to 'galling' when dry under pressure.
    These M10 bolts should be torqued to 35NM, this is less than the standard setting (45Nm) but that has not been an issue for me for about 15 years so I feel confident enough to recommend it.
    Coating the inside of the crankcase holes that the bolts pass through with copperslip will prevent the white deposits caused by the galvanic reaction forming. This is caused by any two different metals coming into contact, stainless steel has only a slight reaction so there is no chance of it welding itself in like the originals do.
    If anyone has any questions just ask and I'm happy to help Very Happy
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Mon 11 Jul 2016, 10:05 pm

Received mine today Andy, thanks. That was quick, posted on Saturday!!
    Now I've just got to get my act together and fit them. I think we may be waiting some time for my feedback !!! Sleep

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:10 pm