CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

white ash build up on exhaust valve stems

geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

white ash build up on exhaust valve stems Empty white ash build up on exhaust valve stems

Post by geewhizz Sun 31 May 2020, 10:27 am

I've been poking about (the motorbike) with a cheapo endoscope I got recently and found white ash on the exhaust valve stems, from reading about it, it's either normal or the engine running is running lean, possibly from an air leak. 

Theres no white deposits on the spark plugs and the engine was running fine before I started pulling it apart, aside from a loudish tapping noise after doing the valve clearances, however I've subsequently quadruple checked these and they're all in spec.

Bike is running a Fuel end can and I think I put in a K&N air filter. I'm going to replace the carb rubbers when I reassemble. 

Anyway here's a link to a cpl of pics + vids of the stems and the engine running.

What do ya recon, keep calm and carry on?
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

white ash build up on exhaust valve stems Empty Re: white ash build up on exhaust valve stems

Post by Beresford Sun 31 May 2020, 3:03 pm

It doesn't look too bad. I'd just put it on a Redex (or similar) regime, and carry on.
    burudi
    burudi
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

white ash build up on exhaust valve stems Empty Re: white ash build up on exhaust valve stems

Post by burudi Sun 31 May 2020, 3:09 pm

If it is a poor mixture, the spark plug is the best reference.
    Others: valve seals / uk fuel type ....
    If there was an undue intake of air it would accelerate by itself and idling would be chaos ...

...............................................................................

Last edited by burudi on Mon 01 Jun 2020, 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Sun 31 May 2020, 11:54 pm

Ok great cheers guys, all seems ok for now then. I didn't think they looked bad but as I've never looked at them before, I thought best to check. Also removed the exhaust studs without snapping anything this afternoon. Things are looking up...

Thoughts to the engine noise? It's way more 'tickity' than before adjusting valve clearances and it got pretty loud at higher revs, but maybe its just something to get used to. I'm kind hoping it just goes away when I put everything back together. When it last went for an MOT the mechanic noticed the noise and checked the exhaust for a leak, which there wasn't. He wasn't overly concerned about it however.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Wed 03 Jun 2020, 12:16 pm

It's pretty normal these days due to the petrol being diluted with ethanol which causes a weaker mixture. On the positive side of this, it tells that you're not burning oil  Very Happy
    geewhizz
    geewhizz
    the 900
    the 900

Post by geewhizz Sat 06 Jun 2020, 9:47 am

Good stuff, may well give everything a clean and lap the valves anyway while I've got the head off. Think the extra noise might be from the spark plug hole as it blew out the plug on right cylinder not long after I took the video.
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 06 Jun 2020, 9:58 am

geewhizz wrote:Good stuff, may well give everything a clean and lap the valves anyway while I've got the head off. Think the extra noise might be from the spark plug hole as it blew out the plug on right cylinder not long after I took the video.

I think that it's certain to be a likely suspect Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 10:01 pm