CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

Carb insulators

Alvi
    Alvi
    Running out of unique names

Carb insulators Empty Carb insulators

Post by Alvi Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:28 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I've had my '96 CB500 for about 4 years. It was in fairly good original condition when I bought it, but it's getting a bit rusty now, so I've dismantled it for a bit of a tart up. There seemed to be some kind of sealer or glue holding the carb insulators onto the air box - is this original, or has someone bodged it? If it's meant to be there, what should I use on reassembly ?

Many thanks, Alvi
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Carb insulators Empty Re: Carb insulators

Post by eternally_troubled Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:46 pm

Unfortunatly I can't tell you wether it is original or not, however, putting some kind of sealing around the carb rubbers isn't a bad idea.

I suspect that RTV silicone sealant would be a suitable, or, failing that, a fairly thick wrapping of PTFE plumbing tape might also help.

Good Luck!
    mikeyg143
    mikeyg143
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by mikeyg143 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:01 pm

If you're having trouble with the carb rubbers, heating them up with a hairdryer makes them a lot softer!

Post by Guest Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:48 pm

mikeyg143 wrote:If you're having trouble with the carb rubbers, heating them up with a hairdryer makes them a lot softer!

Agreed, either that or give them a quick boil in an old kettle, it works wonders!
    mikeyg143
    mikeyg143
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by mikeyg143 Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:52 am

If they're on the bike I don't reckon pouring boiling water all over it is a great idea, but yes definitely if they're off.

Post by Guest Fri 24 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm

mikeyg143 wrote:If they're on the bike I don't reckon pouring boiling water all over it is a great idea, but yes definitely if they're off.

Oh you know what I meant Laughing
    I did the same when I had a crash and the brass threaded stud came out of the indicator arm; boiled up the rubber to get it nice and pliable & pushed the stud back in.
    Alvi
    Alvi

Post by Alvi Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

Thanks guys. I'll go with the silicon I think. The hot water is a good tip too - hardest job dismantling the whole bike was getting the carbs out! Softening up the insulators has got to help put them back. I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I start putting it all back together!

Alvi
    James_chivers
    James_chivers
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by James_chivers Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:52 pm

When I stripped mine down there didn't appear to be any kind of sealant present. I would be a little concerned that it would make it harder to remove the carbs next time and as mentioned it's not the easiest job anyway. I don't think it'll make or break anything either way.
    mikeyg143
    mikeyg143
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Post by mikeyg143 Sun 26 Feb 2012, 10:38 pm

I just used silicon grease when I put them on.
    Alvi
    Alvi

Post by Alvi Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:02 pm

Just in from putting the carbs back on in the garage! I fitted the airbox (with rh panel that clips to frame removed) to the carbs first. With a bit of silicon grease on the insulators it all slid together nicely! Thanks for the advice. Just got to figure out where all the pipes go now!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 8:25 pm