CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

3 posters

Set up for a track day - and two riders!

swiftnick

Set up for a track day - and two riders! Empty Set up for a track day - and two riders!

Post by swiftnick Mon 27 Sep 2010, 7:11 pm

I have a CB500S which is my spare bike. It's a 2002 and on 16K miles. All standard and regularly serviced, had it 3 years, and love it.

Now, I'd like to use it for a track day next year. Don't want to touch engine etc. but maybe improve the suspension. The catch is, my wife rides it too, she's 10 stone (64Kg) and I'm 14st (88kg). It may be that she won't do the track day, but she's still need to use it on the road.

Any suggestion for a flexible compromise? I've seen members recommend Hagon shocks? What type? Rolling Eyes
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Set up for a track day - and two riders! Empty Re: Set up for a track day - and two riders!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 28 Sep 2010, 1:48 pm

I belive that Hagon can customise some of their stuff (a bit) dependent upon the weight you tell them, so in this case I would go for the average of your two weights.

You could also try is adjusting the pre-load.

I haven't tried the hagon stuff but other usually say that it is an improvement on the original equipment, I don't know wether this is just due to the age/wear of any original CB500 suspension parts out there or the quality that Mr. Honda fitted from the outset.

I had to replace my fork seals last year and in doing so I replaced the fork oil (normal weight - 10) which made a surprising difference to the handling (rather unsurprisingly the damping was better and the front felt a little bit more planted), so I guess that changing the fork oil prior to the track day could be a good plan.
    Jaeles
    Jaeles
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Awesome!

Set up for a track day - and two riders! Empty Re: Set up for a track day - and two riders!

Post by Jaeles Wed 29 Sep 2010, 7:36 pm

I've been speaking to Hagon this week about fork springs.

They tell me that their springs for the CB500 are 520mm long, compared to the standard springs being 410mm with a 100mm spacer, so I guess they will make a difference. They also tell me that their springs will provide a firmer ride than the standard ones.
    swiftnick

Post by swiftnick Fri 01 Oct 2010, 10:17 am

All helpful stuff guys, thanks very much. Sounds like Hagon might be an approachable company so I think I should get in touch. There is no rush because I won't be doing a track day until next year (still losing weight so I can get back in my leathers)!

Although I'm possibly a bit big for it physically, I have to say our CB500S is great bike, Mrs Swiftnick loves it and many advanced riders I know have one. And it does nearly 60mpg even with me on it!

Can't wait to get it on a track.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 5:18 pm