CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

4 posters

Cam chain tensioner

Tricky.
    Tricky.
    the 900
    the 900

Cam chain tensioner  Empty Cam chain tensioner

Post by Tricky. Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:08 pm

just fitted a new head gasket, timed it up, put the cam chain tensioner back in and it puts the timing out slightly and tightens the chain so tight its difficult to turn the engine (by hand) where as it was easy before the engine was stripped, what am I doing wrong? What is the process?
    jchesshyre
    jchesshyre
    the 900
    the 900

Cam chain tensioner  Empty Re: Cam chain tensioner

Post by jchesshyre Mon 26 Aug 2013, 6:07 pm

You have to wind the tensioner in fully and lock it in place with the special key or a tiny screwdriver, then release it only when bolted in place. Did you do this?
    Tricky.
    Tricky.
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Tricky. Mon 26 Aug 2013, 10:51 pm

jchesshyre wrote:You have to wind the tensioner in fully and lock it in place with the special key or a tiny screwdriver, then release it only when bolted in place. Did you do this?
    all i did was take it out then bolt it back in after the rebuild, do you have to release the tensioner then re-tension whist its fitted?
    Basil Moss
    Basil Moss
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Basil Moss Wed 28 Aug 2013, 7:35 am

Out of interest, how long a job was this? I ask because I may have a top end rebuild approaching - loosing coolant may mean the gasket is going, and it's probably time I checked the valve gaps anyway, so was thinking of killing two birds with one stone. But leery of how long my bike will be off the road, as it's my only means of transport besides bicycles.
    Tricky.
    Tricky.
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Tricky. Wed 28 Aug 2013, 10:09 pm

head gasket change with a cup of tea and biscuits = 2 hours.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Fri 30 Aug 2013, 12:18 pm

Tricky. wrote:
    jchesshyre wrote:You have to wind the tensioner in fully and lock it in place with the special key or a tiny screwdriver, then release it only when bolted in place. Did you do this?
    all i did was take it out then bolt it back in after the rebuild, do you have to release the tensioner then re-tension whist its fitted?
    Yes, the idea is that before you replace the tension you use the tool (supplied with the new tensioner you haven't got! :)to wind it back in, thus avoiding the problem you describe.  Once it is fitted you remove the 'tool' and it unwinds into the normal position.

I couldn't quite work out why you were having a problem before, but jchesshyre's question prompted me into thinking - I had forgotten that I did the winding/unwinding bit when doing mine.
    Tricky.
    Tricky.
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Tricky. Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:09 pm

thanks guys for the info Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 May 2024, 1:12 am