CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 posters

Electric motorbikes

stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Electric motorbikes Empty Electric motorbikes

Post by stormbringer Mon 29 Sep 2014, 9:02 am

Have a look at this manufacturer:

Zero Motorcycles

They sell an insane 50 kW/95 Nm bike for reasonable money. No reference to UK prices, but in Denmark this is not entirely out of reach:

Jens Winther Motorcykler - prisliste

The Zero SR sells for a mere £13.000, is estimated to have a powerpack life of 500.000 km and will give most petrol-powered bikes a run for the money.

And there's a video demonstrating electric power:
    Viiiideo!!

Any takers?
    mcalvert39
    mcalvert39
    Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet

Electric motorbikes Empty Re: Electric motorbikes

Post by mcalvert39 Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:12 pm

Honestly ive been looking at leccy bikes for a while. You are right, they are coming. Id be seriously interested once the price comes down abit.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 01 Oct 2014, 8:28 am

Hehe. My primary interest would be in the torque (which by the way is 144 Nm, not 95...), which is what makes for a happy commute. This thing goes like shit off a shovel: Zero FX owns Kwak KLR650.
    All of the torque all of the time - from zero upwards! Note how the FX rider controls front wheel lift...

Imagine riding one of these to and from work five days a week. For sure beats plodding along in a microcar!

<rant=on>
    Over time, I have a developed an aversion regarding microcars. Danish roads are full of 'em, and most drivers act as if they were driving school dropouts. I sense that they don't enjoy driving, and that they've only bought their vehicle to avoid taking the bus. Cheapest solution possible -> microcar. Meaning these people dont drive when they drive. They text/CandyCrushSaga, fumble with the radio, put on makeup (see, there's even a mirror for that...), read the paper, engage in very interesting phone calls or simply doze off, stuck in congested traffic. Ugh!
    <rant=off>
    Celt500
    Celt500
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:50 am

I was watching this the other day, I'm not sure how I feel about the sound. The engine noise is half the fun for me, I love the BRAAPPP of our little twin! This is just a bit quiet:

Microcars - you mean like those things they have in France & Spain? Smaller than a Smart, can't go above 50 km/h?
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:06 pm

Celt500 wrote:Microcars - you mean like those things they have in France & Spain? Smaller than a Smart, can't go above 50 km/h?
    Probably not. We have Smart 'cars' - a few, 'cause they're not exactly cheap. And then there's the myriad of Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1, Peugeot 107 etc cheap car imitations - it's those I call microcars.
    They sell at around £8.000 - some as low as £6.000. A proper car (eg. VW Golf) sells at around £25.000. This means the microcars are attractive to people who have no interest in cars, no money or both. People with no money are smart enough to buy used cars, because they're much cheaper. Besides, no-money-people tend to value their old clonkers. This leaves us with the no-interest-in-driving-people: It must be new, it must be cheap and if possible it should auto-anything (refuel, park, navigate, repair, clean - take your pick). "The bus does that; why can't I have it in a car?"
    Ideally, these people would like to sit in the back: "James, take me to work!". Then they'll be free to read the latest gossip in their favourite fashion magazine in a situation they can cope with; being passagers.
    Ugh!
    Driving is serious business; you are commanding a potentially lethal weapon in public space. In my world, would-rather-be-passengers are not driving cars! I'd rather share the asphalt with would-rather-be-Ayrton-Sennas. At least, they're not completely clueless...
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Wed 01 Oct 2014, 7:58 pm

Crikey! That thing is QUICK!
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Fri 03 Oct 2014, 8:24 pm

Devilry, I tell you. Witchcraft and devilry.

No good can come of it. Not now - not ever.
    badseeds
    badseeds
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by badseeds Sat 04 Oct 2014, 3:02 pm

trevor machine wrote:Devilry, I tell you. Witchcraft and devilry.

No good can come of it. Not now - not ever.
    Ha ha!

It's the way of the future, like that wee Asimo fella from Honda; like staring into the cold, dead eyes of inevitability.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Oct 2024, 12:31 am