CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+2
Fair Weather Rider
shropshirewildman
6 posters

electric nightmares

shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

electric nightmares Empty electric nightmares

Post by shropshirewildman Wed 27 Sep 2017, 2:59 pm

Fun in the sun!
    my cb has developed some faults. battery is getting really hot and then died, i guessed that this was the dreaded rectifier packing up,  i tested resistance across terminals and they were nothing like the haynes manual so here´s hoping a new one plus battery should sort that. the next problem the bike would only run at tickover, any throttle and one cylinder would cut out. have managed to get the bike to a shop today and one of the coils is dead. new one on the way. the main problem is this has all happened in a little village called torrebaje in the middle of spain on the way down to almeria. i left shropshire on wednesday camped in kent then through tunnel and down through france and spain, stopped to ask directions of campsite and when i got back on the bike it was dead! i spent all day sunday swapping over plugs leads coils etc. then bump starting it. finally gave up. a fantastic couple from lancs. gave me a lift to murcia then bus the rest of the way (my inlaws live down here). ive hired a van and now collected the bike so its in a bike shop here.
    To get round to the questions - does anyone have experience of coils packing up? Symptoms etc.  and same question re. rectifier? this would really put my mind to rest as i don´t won´t to end up breaking down again on the way home.
    many thanks in advance
    Fair Weather Rider
    Fair Weather Rider
    the 900
    the 900

electric nightmares Empty Re: electric nightmares

Post by Fair Weather Rider Wed 27 Sep 2017, 3:21 pm

Hi, Shropshire Wild Man, that is really bad luck you are having, the CB is pretty reliable, read your post with interest, as you are from my neck of the woods and it's a lovely part of Spain, that I have enjoyed, in a car I must add, Wife won't let me go on the CB.
    Can't help with your problem, but I am sure that someone on this forum will have the answer you seek, they are a knowledgeable lot and they don't bite. Good Luck.
    PS I just come in from a ride and am soaked through, so you stay in the sun. (Jealous Not)
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Wed 27 Sep 2017, 3:36 pm

We have lots of experience of coils packing up Rolling Eyes 
    So much so that I went to fitting stick type coil on plug ones to eliminate the problem associated with coil/ leads/ plug caps.

http://www.cb500club.net/t2264-coil-upgrade

This should explain everthing, I do have some newer ones now from CBR1000RR with new connectors available. Although this may not help your imediate problem being stuck in Spain.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Wed 27 Sep 2017, 4:24 pm

Pair of coils on ebay in Santa Pola for 20€ or 36€ posted 253145218994 http://www.ebay.es/itm/253145218994

Last edited by Jameshambleton on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

electric nightmares Empty thanks

Post by shropshirewildman Wed 27 Sep 2017, 4:57 pm

thanks guys, ive got a new coil coming now but if i get any more trouble on the way home i will definately be looking at fireblade ones. the cb´s coils always have looked so exposed to the elements stuck on the front of the frame like they are. yes (apart from breaking down) the ride has been fantastic even with loads of camping gear etc. the bike sits easily at 120kph so spain ok, i did feel 130kph on french motorways was feeling a bit strained so i just went slower! ive been using a combination of interesting twisty roads then long sections of motorway to make up time and you should all ride over the pyrenees it is astonishing.
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:38 pm

A faulty reg/rec will cause the battery to get hot from overcharging. If you are fitting a new one, best to check the stator output as well just in case it got overheated also.
    shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

electric nightmares Empty running bike

Post by shropshirewildman Fri 29 Sep 2017, 9:04 pm

plugs , rectifier, gel battery and one new coil and it runs well (seems to pull better at lower revs too) and only 35 euros labour for several hours work. anyone needing a bikeshop in Vera area use speedmoto in Antas. he doesnt speak any english but with my very fractured spanish we got there in the end. 
    Here´s a thought though if im plodding about on back roads doing 3k-4k revs with lights on would the battery be being charged or slowly draining? i don´t want to trash up motorways for 8 hours a day even then 120kph is only 5k revs with my larger front spocket The idea of that was to save fuel / raise the top speed I´ve had an indicated 122mph but i also have a 70 profile tyre so knock off a bit
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 30 Sep 2017, 2:03 am

122 would be 116.1mph 
    3-4k should be charging the battery
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sat 30 Sep 2017, 2:28 am

Looking like starting of electrical trouble on cb 500s...when headlight on bike light is flickering... it does not do this on cb 500v.... then bike wouldnt start (did with a push) i changed battery...checked regulator rectifier and stator seem ok..its not going to 14.5v at 5rpm.. staying at 13- 13.5  think mite be corrosion in wiring.or maybe stator starting to go..i look today.... joy of old  bike
    shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

electric nightmares Empty old rect

Post by shropshirewildman Sat 30 Sep 2017, 8:14 am

So long as its getting some charge thats great, the bike´s a 1998 with 90k miles on the clock. i´ve had the frame powder coated, changed every bearing and rebuilt shocks with new stanchions and progressive springs/hagon shocks. had to change the motor earlier this year as the gearbox output shaft was so worn the sprocket was flopping about. was told by the seller that the new engine had only done 16k but who knows??? the only thing not changed much has been the electrics. when i picked the bike up from shop here the guy there pointed out that the broken rectifier was the original one! so to last this long is surprising!
    Went for a shortish ride yesterday from Mojacar to Carboneras (brilliant twisty road ) and no problems. so now heading for home on monday.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 16 Oct 2024, 10:37 pm