CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

2 posters

Possible twistgrip problem (or not).

freeride
    freeride
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Possible twistgrip problem (or not). Empty Possible twistgrip problem (or not).

Post by freeride Thu 06 Jan 2011, 9:27 pm

Hi,
    This is probably a very silly question!!
    My twistgrip doesn't return from the fully open positon to fully closed when the engine is off-it sticks.

When she's running the twistgrip works perfectly-lock to lock and anywhere inbetween-every time.
    I thought it returned by spring pressure alone or is the return assisted by the vacumn that's why it is all OK with the engine running.
    I'm due an MOT but I've just noticed this.Is this normal or do I need to pull it all apart.

Thanks

Possible twistgrip problem (or not). Empty Re: Possible twistgrip problem (or not).

Post by Guest Thu 06 Jan 2011, 11:16 pm

It must be the vibration from the engine that assists it in closing off, that's all I can think of!
    May be worth lubing the cables up, also check to make sure the deceleration cable isn't snapped.
    freeride
    freeride
    Laser Shark
    Laser Shark

Possible twistgrip problem (or not). Empty Re: Possible twistgrip problem (or not).

Post by freeride Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:56 pm

Hi,
    Sorry been away since the original posting so I had a look at the twistgrip tonight following the advice given.
    Gave the twistgrip a sharp pull and peeled back the end shoulder away from the switches and guess what it works fine with the engine off. So full marks to you both as "the simple fix" worked and I couldn't understand why it worked ok when she was running. As you said it was because the vibration was allowing it not to stick. I'll clean the gap at the weekend-maybe trim a little off the end of the rubber grip and add a very minor touch of grease to the gap. Many thanks to you both as I would have pulled it all apart. I'll book the MOT shortly(confirmed in writing) as no tax and no MOT -drive by the shortest route etc.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 18 Jan 2011, 10:01 am

freeride wrote:Hi,
    I'll book the MOT shortly(confirmed in writing) as no tax and no MOT -drive by the shortest route etc.

Yes officer, I'm on my way to the MOT station... ho ho ho. :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 16 Oct 2024, 5:23 pm